Author Topic: Doug McDermott  (Read 8755 times)

Doug McDermott
« on: May 25, 2014, 02:11:02 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
I have a feeling Danny really likes Doug McDermott.  Not based on anything just a hunch.  I thing it is possible to trade down and still get him.  I know no one will agree with me but a have a feeling that Danny is very interest in Doug McDermott.  I'm a celtics fan since the 70s and have seen a lot of Danny Ainge and this just seems like someone he would really want.  Just my guess.

Re: Doug McDermott
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 02:21:04 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Only at 17

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 02:25:13 PM »

Online Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Only at 17

Can't see him falling to 17, but definitely don't want to take him 6th.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 02:29:57 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
We have a gigantic perimeter big man already: Kelly Olynyk. We need a center and a shooting guard. McDermott does not fill a present needs.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 02:51:16 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
We have a gigantic perimeter big man already: Kelly Olynyk. We need a center and a shooting guard. McDermott does not fill a present needs.

While I'm not a fan of McDermott, you should never draft for need, especially when you are a rebuilding team with a lottery pick.

I would take him if he's there at 17.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 03:17:26 PM »

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I'm sure DA does like McDermott, but with the picks we have (one too high and one too low), I don't think DA can pass up on the other talent in the draft just to grab him.

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 03:21:39 PM »

Offline hondobird33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
McDermott has been rated the #9 or #10 pick in draft.  Could trade down to #9 to Charlotte and they give us their #24 pick.  We select McDermott at #9 and use the #24 to trade to HOU along with PP TPE for Asik.  This enables us to keep our #17 pick.  McDermott with either serve as 6th man scoring threat off bench or replace Green (if he gets traded) at SF.

Reasons he is better long-term option at SF than Green:
1. Much lower rookie salary than Green who will be paid $9.2m/yr for next two years.
2. Better 3 pt shooter than Green which fits Rondo
3. Enables Celts to sign other free agent or trades by freeing up significant cap space
4. Much younger than Green so more long-term value.
Reasons not to sign McDermott:
I would rather trade the pick since you never know for sure what you get with a draft pick and want to get known star players for quick re-build.         

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 03:25:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
as an alternative plan to all of this, i wouldn't mind getting mcdermott and warren together with a rim protector.  Rondo can feed to a cutting Warren or mcdermott. Alot of movement and options for him. And these guys know how to score

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 03:38:06 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
McDermott has been rated the #9 or #10 pick in draft.  Could trade down to #9 to Charlotte and they give us their #24 pick.  We select McDermott at #9 and use the #24 to trade to HOU along with PP TPE for Asik.  This enables us to keep our #17 pick.  McDermott with either serve as 6th man scoring threat off bench or replace Green (if he gets traded) at SF.

1. Much lower rookie salary than Green who will be paid $9.2m/yr for next two years.
3. Enables Celts to sign other free agent or trades by freeing up significant cap space
I would rather trade the pick since you never know for sure what you get with a draft pick and want to get known star players for quick re-build.         

We're doing Houston a favor in taking Asik's contract off their hands.  I'd want the 25th and 42nd pick and Asik for the 24th and the TPE.

Mike

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 04:00:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I have a feeling Danny really likes Doug McDermott.  Not based on anything just a hunch

I have the opposite feeling.  I think the fan  base loves him but DA would pass on him.   Trading down for him makes the most sense as he was bust or boom wrote all over him.   He is either going to do well or do poorly with little chance between.   Either he will be able to get his shot off or he won't.  Could be a pick dependent guy too.

Reasons not to sign McDermott
I think you mean draft, right?   You seem to forget that Basketball is a game where you play defense half of the time?

Green is a way better defender  than Doug  is presently.  I think if Green got his leg chopped off he would still be a better defender than Doug.  Doug is going to have trouble staying in front of his man.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 04:05:53 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 04:04:56 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

We're doing Houston a favor in taking Asik's contract off their hands.  I'd want the 25th and 42nd pick and Asik for the 24th and the TPE.

Mike

That's simply not true. Houston can easily find a number of teams that will give value for Asik. A late 1st rounder is very fair value for a proven, young defensive center. 

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 05:44:54 PM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
One thing Houston may be looking for is to clear enough cap space to pursue Melo. If that is the case, they will not want a 2014 1st round pick in return, as that will carry a cap hold.  If their goal is to get Melo, a trade exception and future pick would be the best offer they could ask for, as getting a 2014 pick and/or ANY player (no matter how talented) would hinder their chances of adding another star.

If they are not interested in Melo, then a 2014 pick and players would be great for them.  If they do want Melo, the Celtics are their ideal trade partner, and we wouldn't have to part with #17 to get a deal done.

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 05:59:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I don't want to trade for Asik unless we also trade for Lin, so that we don't have to give up any draft picks, maybe pick up a pick in the process.  We also get to use the TPE before it expires.

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 06:05:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Where does he fall in the Adam Morrison to Kelly Olynyk scale of white dudes who can shoot?

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 06:08:08 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Where does he fall in the Adam Morrison to Kelly Olynyk scale of white dudes who can shoot?

I'd say he's at about Wally Sczerbiak level.