Author Topic: Dario Saric is a Larry Bird impersonator.  (Read 15769 times)

Dario Saric is a Larry Bird impersonator.
« on: May 22, 2014, 01:22:48 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Larry Bird's overall rating was a 99. Saric right now is about a 75. My friend and I always ask where is the next Bird. And although Saric probably not going to the H.O.F. just yet. Skill set wise. I think he's the closest Iv'e seen in some time.
 Similarities, Saric 6'10" with shoes draft express which means he is 6'9" shoes off. Bird's weight  220 Lbs, Saric 216 Lbs. I think he will gain 4 pounds. Larry Legend crushes this kid in shooting touch, rebounding, toughness, IQ, and just about everything else, however the kid is probably a better ball handler than Bird was, and his strengths are similar. At 6'9" he can get a rebound push it up court, throw no look passes all over the court, he's feisty, tough, a team leader, He will bang and play in the post, although he finishes with a push shot often, which looks weak, and he needs to gain ten to fifteen pounds,

But, Man. The more you look at him. The more he looks like a lesser version of Larry Legend. And that itself may warrant a #6 pick if we keep it. If you haven't seen him at all here is a quick look.

http://youtu.be/4g3TrEGyCco

Re: Dario Saric is a Larry Bird impersonator.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 01:32:46 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I think it's easy to forget how good Bird was.  Asid from skill set, his feel for the game was amazing.  I watched an old game a little while ago and was just shocked by how good he was.  I remember the shooting, but I had forgotten how good of a passer he was.  He makes Rondo look like an amateur.  It's like he saw each play two steps ahead.  Magic was the same way.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 01:54:58 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Saric looks pretty awesome in that video.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 02:08:41 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I've gotta say after watching that video that there is definitely something Larry-like about him in a lot of that footage.  That's impressive.  I am curious about how well he will be able to make that translate to the NBA game.

There's something about his experience and background that feels very similar to Vesely and Valanciunas though.  Why will Saric make a better adjustment to the NBA than they have while he carries similar pedigree and hype as both of them did?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 02:33:19 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I think he's Lamar Odom like.

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 07:27:38 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Larry Legend crushes this kid in shooting touch, rebounding, toughness, IQ, and just about everything else

So pretty much all the things that make Larry Bird who he was. ;) 

Larry also is a vastly superior passer.  Saric averaged something like 3 assists per game last year, across his various seasons.  I don't care what his highlight reel shows, he's not on Larry's level.

Plus, Saric is described as a great shooter, but he was mediocre on both 3PTs and FTs.  That's against inferior competition, and with a slightly shorter 3PT line. 

In the Eurocup -- probably the highest level of competition he faced -- he averaged 12.9 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 30.8% 3PT% (on 0.4 makes per game), 78.1% FT%, and 3.4 turnovers.  Oh, and his team went 1-9.  I have a hard time projecting that type of production to anywhere close to Larry Bird. 

I can't get excited about watching a kid blow by guys whose defense is worse than you see in most decent high school programs.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:46:56 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 08:35:20 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
OP,  this is what happens when you make comparisons to players like Larry Bird on this Board. You get crushed.  I made that mistake once when I said the same thing about Olynyk.  I think your point was that Saric's style of play reminded you of Larry Bird. I absolutely agree with you on that.  In fact, Saric's idol growing up was Magic Johnson. That is the player apparently he modeled his game on.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 12:38:34 PM »

Offline pablohoney

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
Was Larry this good as a sophomore at Indiana?   Because Larry was a 23 yo rookie in NBA and this kid is only 20.   He looks like a guy you would hate on the other team and I like that.   He constantly trash talks Wiggins and Parker because he thinks he is better.   I kind of like that about him.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 12:44:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It's a good comparison. Nobody else has come close in the last 10 years. The skills, package, character, size

If his shooting is as deadly as people say now, well yeah its very close

Saric can play a complete inside outside game. Has guard skills and not shy of physical contact. Good defensive player. Smart. And lastly has proved only to be a winner

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 12:47:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Was Larry this good as a sophomore at Indiana?   Because Larry was a 23 yo rookie in NBA and this kid is only 20.   He looks like a guy you would hate on the other team and I like that.   He constantly trash talks Wiggins and Parker because he thinks he is better.   I kind of like that about him.

Larry played at Indiana State.

He averaged 33/13/4 as a freshman, 30/12/4 as a sophomore, and 29/15/6 as a junior.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 12:48:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It's a good comparison. Nobody else has come close in the last 10 years. The skills, package, character, size

Saric can play a complete inside outside game. Has guard skills and not shy of physical contact. Good defensive player. Smart. And lastly has proved only to be a winner

How many of his games have you watched?

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 12:51:05 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
http://nbadraft.net/players/dario-saric

While he's credited with a great IQ and feel for many aspects of the game, Saric's shooting and defense are listed as weaknesses, as are foot speed and athleticism.

DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 01:01:22 PM »

Offline 33-00-32

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • 2012 PAPTBG & 2013 PAPOUG CHAMPION
I won't criticize your comparison but just say I see more of a Toni Kukoc type guy. Serviceable but not at a Bird level.
G:Kemba,Payton,Hairston,Henderson,Lin
F:Parker,MKG,Budinger,Mirotic,Salmons
C:R.Lopez,Biyombo,Hickson
Coach: Shaka Smart
Rights to: Bog Bog

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 01:07:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

How many of his games have you watched?

several. The 2012 nike hoop summit game. He was the best player in the game.  His team Cibona play. When he first stated he didn't play alot of mins but this past season was a big part of the team.  He was everywhere on the court

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 01:10:07 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is turning into a helluva draft.

We have the next Hakeem, T-Mac, Melo, Shawn Marion, Anfernee Hardaway, and now Larry Bird too!

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team