Author Topic: Kevin Love per Wojnarowski  (Read 55750 times)

Re: Kevin Love per Wojnarowski
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2014, 11:03:25 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Gross.

I know right, why would the celtics trade for an allstar? I wish we could just fill our team with phil presseys and Gerald Wallaces.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

So, we're still not better than OKC or Miami after a Love trade. The regular season may be more entertaining, but ultimately that's all it would be. ECF exit (or possibly even 2nd round) isn't really good enough in my book.

Well, I'm not sure anyone here is saying that adding Love is the last step in the rebuilding process, the final missing piece, the guy who'll singlehandedly transform the Cs into contenders. I'm certainly not saying that.

But he's a step in the right direction?a star player, and you need star players to win in today's NBA. If we can get at least one through the draft, great (and hopefully we do, this summer), but you're not likely to get them all through the draft, so you collect assets and exchange them for stars already in the league.

Love might not be a top-5 player, but he's very, very good, and as someone else noted, whom else can the Cs realistically hope to acquire in the next couple seasons? LeBron? Durant? No way. If Danny can add Love while keeping Rondo, the Cs are closer to contention than they were last season.

Sure, I get that. What I don't is where the other pieces come from. We're surely going to have to unload nearly everything for Love.. Where do we get our other missing pieces from in a reasonable amount of time? and I guess.. Who?

I'd rather just avoid being a team like Indiana that peaks as a conference finalist. Now, Indy is good, sure.. but I'd just like better.

I see your point: getting Love could take so much that there's not enough left to get the third key player. I don't know the answer to that (who that would be, or how we'd get him), except to say that Ainge unloaded quite a bit to get KG while still having enough to separately acquire Allen. Maybe he can do that again.

And I agree that conference finalist isn't enough. But banners require some home-run swings, and Love qualifies.

Fair enough, but when we traded for Ray, other than Jeff Green's rights we didn't give up any real valuable assets. We had a ton left to offer. Unfortunately, we're likely going to unload every asset to get Love and we don't have another package to offer like we did in 07.

If we could get love without moving our pick, I'd be ecstatic, actually. We could build a real good core with Rondo, love and the pick. Just upsetting the offers likely start there.

I'd be ecstatic, too, if we could land Love without surrendering the lotto pick. Maybe Danny can find a sucker or two like before?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2014, 11:06:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
That's precisely what I fear. I can already see the unholy trinity of Love, Melo and Rondo in green.
If they could get a guy like Asik to go with them, I think they could be pretty terrific together.

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2014, 11:19:45 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
With lots of expiring contracts next year Anthony Bass Bogans non guaranteed. This could be really really interesting.

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2014, 12:25:04 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Really take in the remaining hours of this day fellow bloggers. It's the closest we will ever be getting to acquiring Love. Next week or the week after you'll hear reports of Love's people saying how he would not resign with the C's and our dreams will be crushed.

Some of us will be stoked.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2014, 02:01:01 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Have to agree with the couple of folks who noted that an Asik deal makes much more sense in hand with a Love trade, and keeping Bradley ain't a bad idea in that event, either.

Asik/Bradley boost defensive side of the lineup enough to keep them, but not without more offensive firepower, or we lose games in the 70's.

Guys that can finish efficiently, like Love, Green, and Bradley, make more sense on a team with a guy like Rondo stirring things around and making those weird angle passes.  Bass too, but he should be the odd guy out, for better or worse.

We know what a Rondo/Bradley backcourt looks like, and the shooting is getting much better from both of them.

A Green/Love/Asik front line?

I'd say we're ahead of the Wizards in the East at that point, prob a 3rd seed (unless Indiana keeps freefalling and/or Miami fragments).

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2014, 06:29:08 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Love will not come to Boston anyways. Too small of a market and the weather is awful. Why would you willingly come to play up north when you're a California boy. He's going back to California and will only play for the Lakers. Do not give up a top 4 for him. That being said even though it goes against everything I've ever thought if you can get him for the #17 pick and Sullinger and get him to opt in it might be worth going after him. Does not have as much value as the top of this draft.

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2014, 06:46:46 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Sully and #17 can`t even get you the second coming of Jeff Green ....

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2014, 06:47:07 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Really take in the remaining hours of this day fellow bloggers. It's the closest we will ever be getting to acquiring Love. Next week or the week after you'll hear reports of Love's people saying how he would not resign with the C's and our dreams will be crushed.

Some of us will be stoked.

I get wanting to stay the path if the Celtics end up in the top-3, but I don't see how anybody in their right mind would prefer Aaron Gordon and Jared Sullinger to Kevin Love.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2014, 07:00:21 AM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Boston gives: 2014 lottery pick, Sullinger/Olynyk, or even both, Wallace and insert more picks here to sweeten Wallace's contract.
Boston gets: Kevin Love

Boston gives: 2015 LAC pick, Brandon Bass
Boston gets: Omer Asik

Boston gives: Jeff Green, maybe something else here, like Anthony, Pressey, whatever
Boston gets: Arron Afflalo

Carmelo Anthony opts out of his contract and goes to FA. Has his buddy Rondo already teamed up with a superstar, takes a small paycut and comes to Boston to contend.

Boston: Rondo, Afflalo, Melo, Love, Asik. And you still have Bradley, Olynyk??, and 17th pick coming of the bench. I believe Pierce would come back in case he sees contending potential, Humphries etc...

Would this be in ANY way possible?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 07:07:51 AM by IlCapitano »
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2014, 07:14:00 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Boston gives: 2014 lottery pick, Sullinger/Olynyk, or even both, Wallace and insert more picks here to sweeten Wallace's contract.

Boston gives: Jeff Green, maybe something else here, like Anthony, Pressey, whatever

Carmelo Anthony opts out of his contract and goes to FA. Has his buddy Rondo already teamed up with a superstar, takes a small paycut and comes to Boston to contend.

Boston: Rondo, Afflalo, Melo, Love, Asik. And you still have Bradley, Olynyk??, and 17th pick coming of the bench. I believe Pierce would come back in case he sees contending potential, Humphries etc...

I suppose...

It's also possible I go on a date with Mila Kunis.

I think I'm a pretty handsome guy, but I'm not holding my breath.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2014, 07:17:14 AM »

fitzhickey

Dream scenario. Key word being dream

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2014, 07:24:34 AM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Haha, I didn't say it's highly realistic, just dreaming a little bit. ;D

No seriously, I just don't think Danny's doing one deal and then stopping there and leave Rondo and Love alone to take down Heat, Indiana, SA, etc.

FIREWORKS baby. ;D
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2014, 08:19:01 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't think comparing Ray in 07 to love in 14 is accurate. Neither guy is among the top 5 players in the league, but Kevin Love is right there with Blake Griffin, ahead of him if I'm making the rankings. He's also a solid 2 tiers above where Ray was at the point we got him.

Love+Asik with our current team (less what we give up for Love, assuming it doesn't involve Jeff Green) is more than enough for a 4th or 5th seed in the East, depending on how Rondo comes back.

When Love is healthy, he's sitting just outside the conversation for MVP, much like LaMarcus Aldridge or Carmelo Anthony.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2014, 08:24:54 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If we got Love we'd have to find a defensive force at C/PF to play alongside love.

Anyone want to bring Perkins back? :D

Good thing there's one who's an Unrestricted Free Agent option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WOWQo1eA1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31YkB8AFRBs&noredirect=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hbr9-Il64Q

#JaSIGNSmith
Both can shoot as well  :D

Smith is more of a four. He offers little to no rim protection, is a poor rebounder, and is very injury prone. If we have Love and Olynyk, who have a similar face the basket style, it renders Smith a bad bit and redundant. I much rather go after a defensive minded player such as Asik. He is a much better complementary piece given the makeup of our team.

Little to no rim protection? He averages 1.3 blocks per 36 minutes of play (Omer Asik averages 1.4, for comparison), I would like you to check out the second video from the quoted post to show how he has "little to no rim protection".

See how fast he rotates?

Here's another old clip of him. It is a couple of years ago, but it shows you how his defensive rotations and reactions are quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgtaCnvgNwI

And as rebounds, well, 8 rebounds per 36 is not elite, I give you that, but that's solid. And, in this case, when you have Kevin Love, would you worry about Jason Smith grabbing only 6 to 7 rebounds per game?

I get you with injuries though. He's got this Andrew Bogut vibe of injuring one part and then injuring another next year. But I, as I call it all the time, think that's not being injury prone, just being unlucky.

And he may come in cheap, maybe for the MLE. You talk about stretching the floor, him an Kevin Love will open A TON of space for Rondo or whoever we have
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2014, 08:38:12 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think we are missing one question here with these scenarios:

Which bad contract do the Celtics take back? 

(and give up the pipe dream of sending out Wallace)

For example
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kqfrpls

Where the Celtics use all three TE.

Love, Martin (TE 1), Shved (TE 2) and Turiaf (TE 3)

for

Bass, Bogan, and Sullinger (plus three picks unless the Celtics offer a top 3 pick this year)