Author Topic: Has LeBron surpassed Bird?  (Read 40179 times)

Re: Has LeBron surpassed Bird?
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2014, 07:49:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
He passed Bird three years ago. The question should be has he passed Jordan. I would say Yes.
hardly.  not even close in my eyes.  Bird's superior. 

Bron's the best of this generation, no argument there but he's relied on very beneficial officiating to inflate his performance. 

were you even around to see Bird play?

« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2014, 07:52:15 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'm not a Lebron hater by any means, but I'd still put Bird ahead of him.  Bird was the better passer, rebounder, and shooter, and lebron was the better defender, penetrator, and ball handler.   Where Bird separates himself is in the clutch.  Bird thrived on clutch moments.  Then watch Lebrons last few possessions in game 6 of the 2013 finals.  Then watch them again.
Ball handler I strongly disagree on, Lebron drives the lane better yes but no way is he a better ball handlder.
For the record bird hands down, Larry dominated the nba when competition was far superior.  Lebron is the best player or close but is not dominate.

« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2014, 07:52:25 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
He passed Bird three years ago. The question should be has he passed Jordan. I would say Yes.

Saying that he has passed Bird is a fair argument.  Saying that he has passed Jordan is ludicrous.  He simply lacks the ability to consistently take over close games and will his team to victory like Jordan did. 

That's true, but you're not really talking about career accomplishments at that point, are you?

As such, it's a silly thing to try and introduce into the argument.

It's that quality, in addition to his extraordinary talents of course, that led to Jordan's accomplishments, six straight championships.  It's that quality that made his game so awe inspiring and why he became so popular... and why he's still so popular.  It absolutely is a part of the argument.

I agree with all of it except for your last sentence.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2014, 08:06:53 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Saying that he has passed Bird is a fair argument.  Saying that he has passed Jordan is ludicrous.  He simply lacks the ability to consistently take over close games and will his team to victory like Jordan did. 

That's true, but you're not really talking about career accomplishments at that point, are you?

As such, it's a silly thing to try and introduce into the argument.

It's that quality, in addition to his extraordinary talents of course, that led to Jordan's accomplishments, six straight championships.  It's that quality that made his game so awe inspiring and why he became so popular... and why he's still so popular.  It absolutely is a part of the argument.

I agree with all of it except for your last sentence.

So in a tight game, one player has a refuse to lose attitude, puts the team on his back, rises to the occasion and wills his team to victory.  The other guy does not.  And it's silly to point out this fact when discussing who the better player is?  I don't understand your point.

« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2014, 08:57:55 PM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
I'm not a Lebron hater by any means, but I'd still put Bird ahead of him.  Bird was the better passer, rebounder, and shooter, and lebron was the better defender, penetrator, and ball handler.   Where Bird separates himself is in the clutch.  Bird thrived on clutch moments.  Then watch Lebrons last few possessions in game 6 of the 2013 finals.  Then watch them again.
Ball handler I strongly disagree on, Lebron drives the lane better yes but no way is he a better ball handlder.
For the record bird hands down, Larry dominated the nba when competition was far superior.  Lebron is the best player or close but is not dominate.

I wouldn't think he can dominate if Kobe is healthy and few years younger....
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2014, 09:10:23 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Lebron came into the league at age 18 and will play much more healthy seasons than Larry Bird did so right from the top most people would assume Lebron because of all his stats. I will compare Larry from 83-87 and take those years over Lebrons best years.
Lebron is the better defender and of course has a stronger game to the basket then Bird.
LeBron has a good basketball IQ but Larry still edges him in that department. Bird had no where near the physical abilities that Lebron was born with yet Larry still dominated the league.

Bird was by far a superior shooter than Lebron and by far more clutch. Bird was also the better rebounder and even though Lebron is a good passer Larry still has him beat there.

I would have also loved to see how Lebron would have responded getting knocked around in a tough 80's league  for a guy his size he doesn't like contact were Bird seemed to thrive on it and get p---ed.

So don't fall in love with ESPN hype machine of Lebron, yes he is a great player but give me Larry from 83-87 over Lebron any day of the week.

TP.  Lebron probably has the better career, but Bird's prime was better.  Kind of like Pedro Martinez in baseball. There may have been better pitchers career wise, but no one was as good as Pedro for 3-4 years- ever.

Sandy Koufax and Ron Guidry might disagree with you.

Well, of those two, maybe just Koufax, but I get your point.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:17:42 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2014, 09:25:10 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Bird play with a broken eye socket once and would not have quit in the finals nor due to cramps.   Sometimes I think LeBron has stock in Kotex.

« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2014, 03:48:09 PM »

Offline BillRussell6

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Bird play with a broken eye socket once and would not have quit in the finals nor due to cramps.   Sometimes I think LeBron has stock in Kotex.

True.  I don't recall Bird getting cramps when the Garden was at 90 degrees F, and it was for many games during his career.
"Concentration and mental toughness are the margins of victory." - Bill Russell