Author Topic: Love tells T-Wolves he's out after this year  (Read 12514 times)

Re: Love tells T-Wolves he's out after this year
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2014, 01:35:47 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
If the Celtics can turn Gerald Wallace, Joel Anthony, and the first round draft pick, into Kevin love, you definitely do it. Regardless if it's a top three pick or not.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2014, 01:55:39 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
How do you know that the Lakers win the lottery, did you secretly record the drawing?
I saw it in my nightmares.

I don't think Love goes to Lakers. I know it's been widely assumed that it's just going to magically happen, but if they trade him, I think 'the field' is more likely. Id say the lakers are currently the front runners, but in a 30-40% overall chance. Kevin Love, like Kevin Garnett has been deeply scarred by perpetual losing and mediocrity. The Lakers have the appeal, and the cap space, but they have as much uncertainty as anyone going forward. If the lottery doesn't go well, it gets worse. They're counting on Love, maybe OKC BREAKIJG up Westbrook/Durant or not being able to retain Russ, and if that changes, their whole rebuild goes back 3 years.

The Celtics have better assets both to acquire Love and to acquire help. If they're able to add more up and coming (but not green, no pun intended) player like Gordon Hayward, Asik, etc.. I'm not sure their offer and appeal as a team going forward as a winner isn't superior to LA's. Of course it all hinges on Kevin Love, but as with Kevin Garnett, he seems like a guy who puts winning and his legacy above being able to commute from Malibu.

And with the higher salary cap projected..I think we've got a decnt shot, and the field, the potential that some other team makes a leap or clears space, is even higher.

Here's a terrible thought; what if Miami trades Bosh to Houston for Asik and expiring/no guaranteed contracts,S&Ts Wade expire, renounces his rights, resigns him for the mid-level, and signs Love outright? There's a team.

Jayeezus, what if they just let Wade/Bosh expire, and sign Asik, Love, and Westbrook outright?

OKC's not breaking up Westbrook/Durant.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2014, 04:55:29 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
How do you know that the Lakers win the lottery, did you secretly record the drawing?

I don't think Love goes to Lakers. I know it's been widely assumed that it's just going to magically happen, but if they trade him, I think 'the field' is more likely. Id say the lakers are currently the front runners, but in a 30-40% overall chance. Kevin Love, like Kevin Garnett has been deeply scarred by perpetual losing and mediocrity. The Lakers have the appeal, and the cap space, but they have as much uncertainty as anyone going forward. If the lottery doesn't go well, it gets worse. They're counting on Love, maybe OKC BREAKIJG up Westbrook/Durant or not being able to retain Russ, and if that changes, their whole rebuild goes back 3 years.

The Celtics have better assets both to acquire Love and to acquire help. If they're able to add more up and coming (but not green, no pun intended) player like Gordon Hayward, Asik, etc.. I'm not sure their offer and appeal as a team going forward as a winner isn't superior to LA's. Of course it all hinges on Kevin Love, but as with Kevin Garnett, he seems like a guy who puts winning and his legacy above being able to commute from Malibu.

And with the higher salary cap projected..I think we've got a decnt shot, and the field, the potential that some other team makes a leap or clears space, is even higher.

Here's a terrible thought; what if Miami trades Bosh to Houston for Asik and expiring/no guaranteed contracts,S&Ts Wade expire, renounces his rights, resigns him for the mid-level, and signs Love outright? There's a team.

Jayeezus, what if they just let Wade/Bosh expire, and sign Asik, Love, and Westbrook outright?
Love will end up with the Lakers, because that's where he wants to play.  Period. 

He grew up there.  His dad played for them.  His uncles are the Beach Boys.  He went to UCLA.  He's a life-long Laker and he has all the leverage... since he can just wait it out a season and sign there as a free agent.

'Sota will take the Lakers pick and be happy.  If Love refuses to sign extensions with teams like Boston, their interest in him is irrelevant.   Kinda like how the Kings could probably offer us the their #7 pick + Ben McLemore for Rondo, but it's a moot point since Rondo refuses to sign in Sacramento.   

MItch Lawrence says Love wants to play for the Lakers, but will consider the Knicks.  We know the Knicks don't have the assets.  It's almost like the best chance of Love not ending up a Laker is for the Lakers to win the lotto and decide to keep their pick. 

Also, the Lakers might seem like they have uncertainty, but landing Love along with Kobe would make them seriously appealing to the top free agents.  They can trade Nash + the pick for Love and still have the cap space to offer to Melo or LeBron.

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2014, 05:05:19 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Article from Woj about this... http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--sam-mitchell-emerges-as-minnesota-candidate-with-kevin-love-s-future-undecided-074004019-nba.html

"For the first time, [Saunders] sounds like looking at deals for [Love] is an option," one rival executive told Yahoo Sports.

The Boston Celtics, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Lakers and Phoenix Suns are among many teams determined to make hard runs at trades for Love, league sources said. Boston and Los Angeles plan to make high-lottery picks in the 2014 NBA Draft available in offers for Love, sources said.

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2014, 05:34:50 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'm sure Danny is paying attention..

As for KLove's Laker talk? I'd pay zero attention to it...

After all, our own Paul Pierce spoke of growing up and loving Magic and wanting to play for the Lakers......and we all know how that ended up :).

C'mon KLove! Who will get u the rock in LA? He'd better look at BOS.

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2014, 06:16:08 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Woj says the C's and the Lakers would make their high-lottery picks available:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--sam-mitchell-emerges-as-minnesota-candidate-with-kevin-love-s-future-undecided-074004019-nba.html

So do Tuesday's ping pong balls determine who gets Love? How good a team would Rondo, Love, Asik or Sanders, Bradley and Green be? Could the C's swing an upgrade at the 2 or 3 with Hayward? A late-first-round rookie?

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2014, 06:37:27 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I been saying this for the past 2 years..Love will be a Laker
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2014, 07:44:07 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Plan:  Boston makes incredibly favorable offer to Minnesota that LA can't match so it's willing to trade Love & goes rebuild shedding older players, expiring contracts, and assets.

Minn. gets BOS 3 1st round picks (2014 BKN #17, 2015 BOS unprotected, & 2018 BOS unprotected) & Sullinger for Love.
Minn. gets 23 yr old Bradley (S&T-$6.5m) & BOS 2015 2nd round pick for 31 yr. old Martin ($6.5m)
Minn. gets BOS 2016 1st round pick for Wallace & $10m 2016 expiring contract (packaged as part of overall trade to match salaries). 
Added Bonus: BOS also gives Minn. Bogans $5m salary can be waived for cap savings.

Salaries match MINN in $24m (Wallace $10m+Bradley-$6.5m+Sullinger $1.5m+Bogans $5m=$23m) for (Love $16m+Martin $6.5m=$22.5m)

Minn. ends up with 4 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick, two young players at same positions to replace Love & Martin, cap savings with Bogans $5m waiveable contract, Wallace $10m expiring contract in 16'.

Next Move:  Give HOU Boston's 1st round 2015 LA pick and TPE from Pierce trade for Asik.  This frees up $8.3m for HOU and saves them cash payment of $15m. 

End result is BOS gets superstar in Love, upgrades SG position (6'7" - 19 pts/gm), adds much needed rim protector, and still have still has its own 2014 lottery pick, 2015 1st rd BOS, 2015 PHI 1st rd. or two 2nd rds., 2016 BKN 1st rd., 2017 1st rd, 2017 2nd rd., 2018 BKN 1st rd, and 2018 BOS 2nd rd.

Final Move:  Trade Bass & Anthony to contender looking for quality back-up PF and C in return for TPE and/or waiveable contracts.  If needed use PHI 1st rd. or 2 2nd rounds to entice trade partner to take Anthony.

In worst case scenario if BOS gets #8 pick in draft select much needed 3 point scoring in 6'8" McDermott.  Fits into projected salary cap for 2014/2015 season (expected to increase $5 million).
Player                   Salary
Rondo - PG   13m
Martin -SG   6.8m
Green - SF   9.2m
Love - PF   16m
Asik -C   8.3m
McDermott     2m
Faverani   2m
Olynyk   2m
Babb   1m
Pressey   1m
Iverson   2m
Johnson   1m
D-Leaguer   0.5m
D-Leaguer   0.5m
Total   68.3m

Wow that's an incredibly good idea.
In fact that's about the best trade idea I've ever seen on Celticsblog. TP.
I'm posting/quoting you in a trade idea topic because this is beautiful.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2014, 07:55:58 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Plan:  Boston makes incredibly favorable offer to Minnesota that LA can't match so it's willing to trade Love & goes rebuild shedding older players, expiring contracts, and assets.

Minn. gets BOS 3 1st round picks (2014 BKN #17, 2015 BOS unprotected, & 2018 BOS unprotected) & Sullinger for Love.
Minn. gets 23 yr old Bradley (S&T-$6.5m) & BOS 2015 2nd round pick for 31 yr. old Martin ($6.5m)
Minn. gets BOS 2016 1st round pick for Wallace & $10m 2016 expiring contract (packaged as part of overall trade to match salaries). 
Added Bonus: BOS also gives Minn. Bogans $5m salary can be waived for cap savings.

Salaries match MINN in $24m (Wallace $10m+Bradley-$6.5m+Sullinger $1.5m+Bogans $5m=$23m) for (Love $16m+Martin $6.5m=$22.5m)

Minn. ends up with 4 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick, two young players at same positions to replace Love & Martin, cap savings with Bogans $5m waiveable contract, Wallace $10m expiring contract in 16'.

Next Move:  Give HOU Boston's 1st round 2015 LA pick and TPE from Pierce trade for Asik.  This frees up $8.3m for HOU and saves them cash payment of $15m. 

End result is BOS gets superstar in Love, upgrades SG position (6'7" - 19 pts/gm), adds much needed rim protector, and still have still has its own 2014 lottery pick, 2015 1st rd BOS, 2015 PHI 1st rd. or two 2nd rds., 2016 BKN 1st rd., 2017 1st rd, 2017 2nd rd., 2018 BKN 1st rd, and 2018 BOS 2nd rd.

Final Move:  Trade Bass & Anthony to contender looking for quality back-up PF and C in return for TPE and/or waiveable contracts.  If needed use PHI 1st rd. or 2 2nd rounds to entice trade partner to take Anthony.

In worst case scenario if BOS gets #8 pick in draft select much needed 3 point scoring in 6'8" McDermott.  Fits into projected salary cap for 2014/2015 season (expected to increase $5 million).
Player                   Salary
Rondo - PG   13m
Martin -SG   6.8m
Green - SF   9.2m
Love - PF   16m
Asik -C   8.3m
McDermott     2m
Faverani   2m
Olynyk   2m
Babb   1m
Pressey   1m
Iverson   2m
Johnson   1m
D-Leaguer   0.5m
D-Leaguer   0.5m
Total   68.3m

Wow that's an incredibly good idea.
In fact that's about the best trade idea I've ever seen on Celticsblog. TP.
I'm posting/quoting you in a trade idea topic because this is beautiful.

Really doubt Minnesota would trade Love the C's if their lottery pick is not included. Also, not sure why we you have Iverson at 2M per year. He'll be much less than that. That's if he's even on the team, something I strongly doubt.

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2014, 09:10:41 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Love will end up with the Lakers, because that's where he wants to play.  Period. 

He grew up there.  His dad played for them.  His uncles are the Beach Boys.  He went to UCLA.  He's a life-long Laker and he has all the leverage... since he can just wait it out a season and sign there as a free agent.

'Sota will take the Lakers pick and be happy.  If Love refuses to sign extensions with teams like Boston, their interest in him is irrelevant.   Kinda like how the Kings could probably offer us the their #7 pick + Ben McLemore for Rondo, but it's a moot point since Rondo refuses to sign in Sacramento.   

MItch Lawrence says Love wants to play for the Lakers, but will consider the Knicks.  We know the Knicks don't have the assets.  It's almost like the best chance of Love not ending up a Laker is for the Lakers to win the lotto and decide to keep their pick. 

Also, the Lakers might seem like they have uncertainty, but landing Love along with Kobe would make them seriously appealing to the top free agents.  They can trade Nash + the pick for Love and still have the cap space to offer to Melo or LeBron.

This sounds eerily like "why Dwight Howard will end up on Brooklyn".

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2014, 09:34:02 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Woj says the C's and the Lakers would make their high-lottery picks available:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--sam-mitchell-emerges-as-minnesota-candidate-with-kevin-love-s-future-undecided-074004019-nba.html

So do Tuesday's ping pong balls determine who gets Love? How good a team would Rondo, Love, Asik or Sanders, Bradley and Green be? Could the C's swing an upgrade at the 2 or 3 with Hayward? A late-first-round rookie?

Ainge should be fired if the Celtics offer a franchise player for one year of Kevin Love.

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2014, 09:43:38 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

They're stuck in a terrible cap situation and Kobe is draining them emotionally and cap wise.
Does Love wanna go to LA and be Kobe's Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. like Dwight was?

If he really is demanding a trade and wants to play for his beloved Lakers, wouldn't he wait a season and let them use that lottery pick to make his time in LA much easier?

I don't think it's so black and white.

Rondo+Asik+lance stephenson+ picks+greatest franchise in NBA+larger market on East Coast in an incredibly weak Eastern conference = hard to turn down if you've just come from the T Wolves and you're looking at the great Hurricane Kobe over in LA and what's to come for the next 5 years there.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2014, 10:18:03 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

This sounds eerily like "why Dwight Howard will end up on Brooklyn".

Exactly. Love goes to play with a one legged Bryant and the new disastrous buss regime in a loaded western conference? All to turn down an extra year of 25 mill? I do t see it.

Dwight hated Kobe and he hated the idea of being shaq jr. That's why he bailed. He also hated playing under dantoni. I think Dwight and Kevin's situations are different.

Also how can love not think of coming east? The pacers just showed how vulnerable they are. Miami is aging all around lebron. Toronto was the three seed. Coming east is a no brainer for this guy if he wants to win.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2014, 10:48:02 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If Love agrees to sign an extension here I'd make him a Celtic at all costs. (Except by trading Rondo or any Nets picks)

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I take the chance and deal all my chips in for Kevin Love, even if he possibly bails after next season.

Sorry, but I don't see Sullinger, Olynyk, Bradley, Green, anyone in the draft or whatever else the Celts would have to deal as irreplaceable.

It's like the Celts did back in 2007. Turn in a bunch of average role players with "high upside" into a team with a disgruntled all-star and take your chances.

Now granted, KG was willing to sign an extension before the deal whereas Love may not, but I still take my chances.

I also don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Love ends up with the Lakers or Knicks.

Like others have said, all the Lakers really have going for them right now is an aging Kobe Bryant and a revolving door with their coaching position.