Author Topic: Well, my stab at Gortat (IDEA)  (Read 3950 times)

Re: Well, my stab at Gortat (IDEA)
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 01:39:21 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
This is exactly the wrong team and wrong time to go after Gortat.

And this is coming from someone who's been a "fan" of Gortat since Orlando (Fan in that I think he'd been underrated, undervalued, fairly paid, and obtainable, a very rare combination). He would have been PERFECT to get (and would have been gettable) the second Perkins left. Of course at that time, when he was suggested as a trade target (and even as recently as this past offseason), the majority of posters said he was overrated, a career loser, a backup, a soft euro, etc. So what happens? A team that was a good fit for him traded for him (and probably paid more than they had to with a big expiring and a 2014 first rounder to a team that was begging to get rid of assets like him at the time), and he did exactly the same stuff he always does, but with better teammates in a bad division, so now he's a "playoff experienced winner" and a free agent and on everyone's radar, so now is when you DON'T want to go after him, especially as a young team with no discernable window for competition. The Gortat ship sailed when we disbanded the Big 3/Big 4 and when he went to a different playoff contender to prove his worth; should have gotten him when it could have been 3 years of Rondo/Allen/Pierce/KG/Gortat, but that was laughed off the table. I think I even once proposed a Rondo for Dragic/Gortat that got utterly lambasted. Now that he's proven his worth, he should no longer be a target unless you are trying to win in 1-3 years.

Now is when Gortat either gets overrated and overpaid, or steps into a real contender with a hole at center (OKC, Miami, etc.).

Well, yeah, sure we are trying to win in 1-3 years. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 09:39:13 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
This is exactly the wrong team and wrong time to go after Gortat.

And this is coming from someone who's been a "fan" of Gortat since Orlando (Fan in that I think he'd been underrated, undervalued, fairly paid, and obtainable, a very rare combination). He would have been PERFECT to get (and would have been gettable) the second Perkins left. Of course at that time, when he was suggested as a trade target (and even as recently as this past offseason), the majority of posters said he was overrated, a career loser, a backup, a soft euro, etc. So what happens? A team that was a good fit for him traded for him (and probably paid more than they had to with a big expiring and a 2014 first rounder to a team that was begging to get rid of assets like him at the time), and he did exactly the same stuff he always does, but with better teammates in a bad division, so now he's a "playoff experienced winner" and a free agent and on everyone's radar, so now is when you DON'T want to go after him, especially as a young team with no discernable window for competition. The Gortat ship sailed when we disbanded the Big 3/Big 4 and when he went to a different playoff contender to prove his worth; should have gotten him when it could have been 3 years of Rondo/Allen/Pierce/KG/Gortat, but that was laughed off the table. I think I even once proposed a Rondo for Dragic/Gortat that got utterly lambasted. Now that he's proven his worth, he should no longer be a target unless you are trying to win in 1-3 years.

Now is when Gortat either gets overrated and overpaid, or steps into a real contender with a hole at center (OKC, Miami, etc.).

Well, yeah, sure we are trying to win in 1-3 years.

Maybe, but not likely. I like Gortat. But while he was underrated and underexposed, he's now in prime position to swing the other way and get overpaid. He's the kind of guy you want to overpay for if you are really truly set at the 1-4 spot (or at least 3/4 of those) and are actively putting together a playoff threat. In terms of deep playoff/championship caliber, the C's are set at the 1. Unless our rookie(s) hit the floor fully ready and meet/exceed expectations, I don't think you can sink 30+ million dollars (plus rookies, plus sully, plus olynyk, plus Wallace) into just Rondo, Green, and Gortat, and expect to build a contender. Now, if we pulled off a miracle and it was Rondo/Anthony/Love, then adding Gortat or Asik would make 100% sense.

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 01:52:05 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I live in DC.  I have heard nothing in the sports media here that makes me think they expect the Wizards to bring him back.  I don't follow the wizards closely enough to know if it's for performance, desire to go another direction (NeNe at the 5?), or the feeling that he'll be too expensive, but from what I have heard the expectation is that he's gone.  If I had to pick one it would be that they want to save their cap room ($15 million approx) for a bigger free agent.

So yes, I do think that.

Marc Stein seems to think that Washington wants to bring back both Gortat and Ariza and that if the team can't afford both, the priority will be Gortat.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 02:02:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Pass on Gortat, your knife is dull take another stab.