Author Topic: Rumor: Deron Williams wants out of Brooklyn  (Read 6548 times)

Rumor: Deron Williams wants out of Brooklyn
« on: May 16, 2014, 02:43:14 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Take it for what it's worth...

Sources have told Hoopscritic.com that this falling out between Williams and Nets management, specifically Nets GM Billy King, has resulted in a mutual decision between the two parties to split. Williams, and his wife, essentially want out of Brooklyn and King is more than happy to accommodate them.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Rumor: Deron Williams wants out of Brooklyn
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 02:45:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 02:47:24 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Who's going to trade for Williams at this point? Tough to construct a deal for a player who's paid so much and game has fallen off a cliff.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 02:47:37 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I'm guessing this rumor is false.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 02:49:18 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm curious what they are going to do. They don't really want to move him for picks because that would probably trigger a rebuild that would last through all the picks they owe to the Celtics. So a full rebuild doesn't make sense.

The Nets could try and salary dump him to a team with cap space but then they still don't have cap space to sign someone.

Their best chance is trading for a player with an equally bad contract (like Eric Gordon) and hope that the player they get fares better than D-Will.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 02:51:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'm curious what they are going to do. They don't really want to move him for picks because that would probably trigger a rebuild that would last through all the picks they owe to the Celtics. So a full rebuild doesn't make sense.

The Nets could try and salary dump him to a team with cap space but then they still don't have cap space to sign someone.

Their best chance is trading for a player with an equally bad contract (like Eric Gordon) and hope that the player they get fares better than D-Will.
Why does the sunk cost of draft picks owed to the C's matter? They won't gut the rest of the roster due to that trade, but getting draft picks back to replace is their only shot at young talent.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 02:58:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Who's going to trade for Williams at this point? Tough to construct a deal for a player who's paid so much and game has fallen off a cliff.

Knicks 'n' Lakers seem like the ones rich enough and dumb enough to go for it.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 03:00:07 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Why does the sunk cost of draft picks owed to the C's matter? They won't gut the rest of the roster due to that trade, but getting draft picks back to replace is their only shot at young talent.
I just don't think they will go the rebuilding route because it is very hard to rebuild if you don't own your own picks. I don't think they can get enough picks for Williams to make the rebuilding idea enticing.

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 03:00:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Knicks 'n' Lakers seem like the ones rich enough and dumb enough to go for it.
Yeah could be, I don't see the Lakers doing it though. I think they'll be content to play for FAs next year.

The Knicks could always do something dumb.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 03:02:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I just don't think they will go the rebuilding route because it is very hard to rebuild if you don't own your own picks. I don't think they can get enough picks for Williams to make the rebuilding idea enticing.
Does losing Deron without a "star" coming back really cost them that many wins at this point?

He's out of the lineup regularly and has been rather up and down with his ankles and play overall.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 03:04:34 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Does losing Deron without a "star" coming back really cost them that many wins at this point?

He's out of the lineup regularly and has been rather up and down with his ankles and play overall.
I think the return you would get on him is less than he is worth even with the health issues factored in. What do you think the Nets could expect to get for him?

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 03:04:50 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Let superstars stack once more!

DWill to New York Knicks so Carmelo won't be alone?
DWill to Dallas Mavericks to help Dirk Nowitzki and Monta Ellis win another title?
DWill to Lakers to team up with Kobe?
DWill to Houston Rockets to complete their Big 3 with James Harden and Dwight Howard?

Hmmm.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 03:19:03 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 03:32:38 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He's owed $63 million over the next three years.  I can't see how the Nets can trade him and get anything back at all, other than a pretty bad contract.  He takes up almost 1/3 of your salary cap.  Maybe the Knicks would take him for Amare straight up.  I can't think of any other team he makes any sense for at that contract.  And even the Knicks only if they're not giving up anything else.

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 03:32:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
A Deron Williams for Josh Smith deal could make sense for both teams. Brooklyn probably need another asset. Maybe Detroit's 2015 first rounder which will presumably be somewhere in the mid to late teens.

Brooklyn go out and plug the PG spot with a role player. Let Joe Johnson and Paul Pierce handle the ball more. Put more quickness on the floor with Josh Smith + new PG. Create better balance. Detroit solves their frontcourt issues. Deron Williams gets a fresh start. Hopefully rejuvenates him but even if it doesn't, Deron is still a good upgrade over B.Jennings.