Author Topic: Cost to move up from 17 to 8?  (Read 3767 times)

Cost to move up from 17 to 8?
« on: May 16, 2014, 02:42:53 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Detroit has a new GM who Im sure wants to reorganize the roster.  They owe their draft pick to Charlotte next year.

Would they want to trade down and get more picks?  (Assuming they dont win the lottery and they end up at 8)  Getting into the top 8 gets a shot at Vonleh or Gordon, and still allows us to pick a G or SF with our top pick. 

They could drop back to 17, still get a good player, but pick up a pick in next years draft?  Would trading them the Clippers pick plus the Philly pick (that will turn in to two 2nds) be enough for them to drop back? 

Re: Cost to move up from 17 to 8?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 02:46:37 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'm pretty sure Detroit's going to hang tight if they land in the top 8 this year.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 05:20:12 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Or Cleveland at #9?

If we had a shot to move up to try and get Vonleh or Gordon, what would it cost?  An unprotected future Nets pick?

I want Exum at #5 (obviously rather have top 3 pick) but I want a forward at #8 or #9 too.  This draft is so loaded is it worth giving up some of the stockpile of future picks?

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 05:39:23 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Cleveland might make more sense since they clearly want to win now. They really might do #17 and Sully for their pick.  However, look at this:

Wiggins
Embiid
Parker
Exum
Randle
Vonleh
Gordon
Smart

There are 7 clear studs, who granted might not all pan out, but on the right team should be successful.  If we got Dario Saric I could be interested, but I'm not sure if I want to trade Sully for Doug McDermott. Maybe that statement bites me in the ass in a few years, but I really doubt it.  I am not really a fan of Sully, too.

The people projected to go around 17 include James Young, TJ Warren, Kyle Anderson and Zach LaVine, plus someone like Gary Harris could absolutely fall to us there.  It's not really that much of a downgrade.  The 7th pick is worth about 10x more than the 9th pick this year.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 05:45:33 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Cleveland might make more sense since they clearly want to win now. They really might do #17 and Sully for their pick.  However, look at this:

Wiggins
Embiid
Parker
Exum
Randle
Vonleh
Gordon
Smart

There are 7 clear studs, who granted might not all pan out, but on the right team should be successful.  If we got Dario Saric I could be interested, but I'm not sure if I want to trade Sully for Doug McDermott. Maybe that statement bites me in the ass in a few years, but I really doubt it.  I am not really a fan of Sully, too.

The people projected to go around 17 include James Young, TJ Warren, Kyle Anderson and Zach LaVine, plus someone like Gary Harris could absolutely fall to us there.  It's not really that much of a downgrade.  The 7th pick is worth about 10x more than the 9th pick this year.

Assuming you think everyone you listed is a stud, that's 8 players, not 7.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 06:30:14 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
What about dangling Sullinger and one of our picks in future years to Philly to get the 10th pick? Sixes need the front court depth and there's still going to be a lot of talent on the board (Harris and Nurkic are the guys I'd want!) at that spot. I could see something like that happening especially if the Celtics pick Randle.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
there's some nice players available around 8-10 but I'm not moving Sully to get there.  I'd consider, at most, a S&T of AB to Philly or Detroit with #17 to get their pick. 

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 06:44:23 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
there's some nice players available around 8-10 but I'm not moving Sully to get there.  I'd consider, at most, a S&T of AB to Philly or Detroit with #17 to get their pick.

I'd say there are a good amount of players in the 8-15 range with higher ceilings than Sullinger. I'm a fan of Sully but his lack of athleticism, height, and shot selection worry me. Not to mention the problems he's had with his back at such a young age. 

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 07:35:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm pretty sure Detroit's going to hang tight if they land in the top 8 this year.

Stan's going to want to make his mark right away by taking a guy with the pick.  Unless, of course, there's some kind of blockbuster deal to make.  But generally I expect a new GM to use a top 10 pick as a way to put a key piece in place that he drafted.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 07:46:23 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

Assuming you think everyone you listed is a stud, that's 8 players, not 7.

That is a great point.  I blame it being 100 out here today

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I wish Danny would do something as crazy as giving up Sully just to move into the tail end of this lottery! This is beyond funny! Hahaha I can't with some of these ideas.

Sully will probably end up being better than all but 3 of these players and the 3 may not be much better.

The only thing holding Sully back is his work ethic, not his back that everyone keeps talking about, except for the medical professionals and the team. It almost seems like people WANT his back to mess up. To keep talking about something that people who actually do this for a living said won't be a problem, just doesn't make sense. Ready to give up Sully for Embiid, how ironic (not saying I wouldn't).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 03:39:11 AM »

Offline CM0

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
I wish Danny would do something as crazy as giving up Sully just to move into the tail end of this lottery! This is beyond funny! Hahaha I can't with some of these ideas.

Sully will probably end up being better than all but 3 of these players and the 3 may not be much better.

The only thing holding Sully back is his work ethic, not his back that everyone keeps talking about, except for the medical professionals and the team. It almost seems like people WANT his back to mess up. To keep talking about something that people who actually do this for a living said won't be a problem, just doesn't make sense. Ready to give up Sully for Embiid, how ironic (not saying I wouldn't).

People get caught up in the world of possibilities; salivating over possible futures to an extent that current assets are grossly undervalued. It's the same psychology that scares people from committing to a significant other. Luckily for Celtics fans, Danny will not give up a very good young, former first round pick AND another first round pick to move up 10 spots- marginally increasing his odds in the dice roll that is the draft.

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 03:43:56 AM »

Offline CM0

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24

This is more reasonable. It would have to depend on the status of contract negotiations with AB. I would probably not trade AB to move up if Danny can extend him for a reasonable price. There's going to be A LOT of talent available at 17 this year. Guys with HUGE upside.

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 04:55:47 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
depending on who you're trading with.
Detroit?
Only thing I can think of would be something like:
#17 pick +
Olynyk +
Green

for #8+
some filler

I doubt Olynyk is enough to move up 9 spots in a loaded draft (and into the top 10 hehe)
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 06:00:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

He is better now.  But Sully is already skilled and I think he came into the league close to his ceiling.   The only areas he can improve are body composition and long range shooting ( daunting with his shooting skills and shot selection from long range) as he is pretty darn skilled already.  He came into the league a vet.

I would not move up from 17 to 8 maybe move up but the quality of player we will be getting is not that different in this draft after the top three to the top twenty.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:40:00 AM by Celtics4ever »