Author Topic: How many Draft picks could you get for Tom Brady  (Read 4992 times)

How many Draft picks could you get for Tom Brady
« on: May 10, 2014, 05:10:24 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

What is he 37 Years old now. Wow. Time to move on pretty soon. If the Italian Stallion Jimmy Garopoolo looks good early on what do you think you could fetch for Brady this year pick wise.
 Could you get two firsts and two seconds from a team, what would you ask for for 37 year Old legend, what would it be worth to you as the GM of the Pats to trade at this point. Don't give me the sentimental angle. I'm asking as a GM what would be your tipping point to trade Brady this year.

Re: How many Draft picks could you get for Tom Brady
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 05:13:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The time to move on from Brady will be when he retires.  Pats won't be bad enough without Brady to outright tank for a number one overall if another Luck comes along.  In the meantime, they're a shoe in for the division and have a great chance to win at least one playoff game every season as long as they have Brady.

I think Brady will keep playing till he's in his early 40s.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 05:30:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think 2 1sts and 2 2nds is about right. Even if a team knew they were only getting two years out of him, it would still be totally worth it since he is that good.

That being said, the Manning trade only materialized because Peyton missed the whole season and they were getting a blue chip qb. We have already seen that the Pats can be quite competitive without Brady so we would never fall down the standings far enough to get a qb who would be worth it. Also, Brady will be awesome until he retires - there is really no reason to trade him.

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 06:56:57 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

OK PHOSita this is for the people that just won't do what there told and answer the question. Would you trade him for the first's three seconds and three thirds.

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 07:07:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

What is he 37 Years old now. Wow. Time to move on pretty soon. If the Italian Stallion Jimmy Garopoolo looks good early on what do you think you could fetch for Brady this year pick wise.
 Could you get two firsts and two seconds from a team, what would you ask for for 37 year Old legend, what would it be worth to you as the GM of the Pats to trade at this point. Don't give me the sentimental angle. I'm asking as a GM what would be your tipping point to trade Brady this year.
Football is not basketball. Draft picks hold considerably lower value, and Tom Brady can play until he's very, very old. Even if Tom Brady were to retire next year, there's no amount of picks that can adequately offset the SB chances you'll get with him. That is all.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 07:17:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

OK PHOSita this is for the people that just won't do what there told and answer the question. Would you trade him for the first's three seconds and three thirds.

There is no amount of draft picks sufficient to make me want to trade a top 5 QB who can lead my team to a Super Bowl in any given season.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 10:37:52 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

OK Phosita, respect for answering, but I don't think your being honest. Five firsts, five seconds, five thirds, and five fourths, anyone would make that trade and If you wouldn't. I'd fire you as a GM and do the deal myself  .

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 10:46:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

OK Phosita, respect for answering, but I don't think your being honest. Five firsts, five seconds, five thirds, and five fourths, anyone would make that trade and If you wouldn't. I'd fire you as a GM and do the deal myself  .

What team could even have a trove of picks like that?  You  might as well say "all the picks in every round of the draft."

The fact is, the NFL is all about having a superstar quarterback -- or at least a QB who can play like one for 3-4 games in the playoffs -- and then lots of depth at every other position.  So long as you have a star quarterback, you have a chance to go far if you've built a balanced roster.

No amount of talent on your roster can overcome the lack of having a quarterback who is good enough.  The Pats have that superstar quarterback.  They'd be fools to trade that away for a heap of draft picks.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 11:11:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Tom Brady is a great quarterback. But because of his age, I doubt you would get more than a 1st round pick for him.  NFL is very stingy about giving draft picks for veteran players, even great ones. We snagged Randy Moss, the best receiver close to his prime, for a 4th round pick as I recall.

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 12:25:20 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
We could still get more than a first obviously he's not a disgruntled moss. He's tom Brady a top 5 qb of all time. He's worth 4 draft picks to be relevant for three years

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 05:17:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If they would have moved him at the draft, I imagine the Browns would have given up 4, 26, a 2015 2nd, and a 2015 3rd or something like that.  Probably could have made the 2015 2nd a contingent 1st rounder as well.  I don't think a team is going to give up much more than that given Brady's age.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 06:20:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
there's no amount of picks that can adequately offset the SB chances you'll get with him. That is all.

Pretty much.  I'm sure there's some breaking point where an offer becomes so good that you can't refuse it (four #1s, for instance), but realistically, when you're a Super Bowl contender, you maximize your chances to win, rather than trading away your franchise QB.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 06:38:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Not enough.

The first goal of a successful NFL team is to have a star QB in place. 

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 06:50:41 PM »

fitzhickey

I'm not sure as to what value picks have in the NFL, but I would never want to trade away Brady.

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 07:29:35 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

If Mo Lewis comes out of retirement and hits Tom Brady on the sideline knocking him out of the lineup and JG comes in and blows people away, then TB will be on the market.  Otherwise, there is very little chance that Tom would be for sale.  The proverbial "offer you can't refuse" is always a possibility, but it is very unlikely to occur under current circumstances since Tom is getting old and draft picks, especially late picks, offer little in the way of security.   In other words, both sides are dealing with big risk.

If Brady is being shopped due to a Garapoulo miracle they'll get decent offers and the threshold for trade return will be lower than an out of the blue offer.  If shopping Brady, I think they'd be hoping for two 1sts or a first and a 2nd.   If someone just knocks on BBs door, I think we'd be talking Hershel Walker deal offers to get past hello (start at three 1sts and three 2nds).  And I don't think anyone is dumb enough to offer that kind of deal for a 37yo Brady.