Author Topic: 2014 NFL Draft  (Read 19876 times)

Re: 2014 NFL Draft
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2014, 05:11:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Pats just drafted a guy (DE) I never heard of from a school I didn't know existed. Coulda had Michael Sam.

The fix is in.  It's embarrassing

Or you know Sam might not be that good.  I really doubt the Pats would refrain from drafting a guy if they thought he was the BPA.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2014, 05:17:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
drafting isn't a strength for the Pats

I think people say this a lot. Personally, I don't agree with it. I think they have some really bad picks and some really good picks. They take a lot of risks. For instance Ras-I Dowling and Gronkowski. Both were huge risk, huge upside. One worked out, one didn't. Check out this link about ranking teams draft picks in this last year: http://q.usatoday.com/2014/05/07/nfl-draft-best-teams-seattle-seahawks-san-francisco-49ers-tennessee-titans-new-england-patriots/

Going back to the Garoppolo pick: I don't think he is a bad player. I just think this was too early a year to pick a good replacement. Brady is playing at an elite level, we still have Mallett, we need to take advantage of what Brady has left. QB depth IMO is not important. If Brady goes down we don't have a realistic chance at the Superbowl. Why not draft some difference makers who were still on the board at that point? Louis Nix was a first round talent. He could have come in and been a starter from day 1. There were more players like this too: Marcus Martin (Many considered him the #1 center in the draft), C.J Fiedorowicz (A top TE in the draft, which is a position of need for the Pats).

I just think this was more of a planning for the future move. Teams like the Broncos and Seahawks are going all-in now. We can't compete if we're drafting for the future.

Recall, though, that Mallett was #3 backup for a year before becoming #2 backup. The Pats likely have something similar in mind with Garoppolo where he is #3, then becomes #2 when Mallet leaves in free agency (or, if Mallet tears it up in preseason and some team wants to trade for him before the start of the season).

Also, with injuries, it isn't as dire as "losing Brady for the season". Yes, if that happens then all hopes of SuperBowl are out the window. But given his age, the chances of him being knocked out for a game or two bc of injury increases, and so it is smart to invest in a backup that is good.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2014, 05:52:41 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Pats just drafted a guy (DE) I never heard of from a school I didn't know existed. Coulda had Michael Sam.

Or you know Sam might not be that good.  I really doubt the Pats would refrain from drafting a guy if they thought he was the BPA.
yeah. maybe the guy from Concordia was better than the SEC Defensive POY. Anyone know when the last time the SEC DPOY or OPOY for that matter wasn't drafted till the 7th round or after? Maybe Sam just isn't injury prone enough for the Pats

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2014, 06:24:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

yeah. maybe the guy from Concordia was better than the SEC Defensive POY.

We'll see. In any case, all 32 teams have passed on Sam. Perhaps not a surprise as he is ranked in the 200s by National Football Post.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2014, 06:49:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

yeah. maybe the guy from Concordia was better than the SEC Defensive POY. Anyone know when the last time the SEC DPOY or OPOY for that matter wasn't drafted till the 7th round or after? Maybe Sam just isn't injury prone enough for the Pats

I'm the furthest thing from an NFL talent scout.  I just know that Sam has been projected in the mid-round to undrafted range all along.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2014, 07:42:06 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I'm the furthest thing from an NFL talent scout.  I just know that Sam has been projected in the mid-round to undrafted range all along.
yup....and when was the last time that happened to an SEC DPOY? 1892?

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2014, 08:06:50 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 210

The SEC did not give out a DPOY award until 2003.  That year the immortal Chad Lavalais won the award.  He went on to be drafted in the 5th round and played 30 games in the NFL.  Sam is a courageous player, a great story and I hope he has a great career but in reality he is a borderline NFL talent and is being evaluated as such.  Keep in mind that he was not regarded as being the best player at his position on his own team.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2014, 08:18:50 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Sam was drafted by the Rams.

Now back to the Pats : I'm curious to see who they bring in as UDFAs. Need some LB and TE depth.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2014, 08:32:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

The SEC did not give out a DPOY award until 2003.  That year the immortal Chad Lavalais won the award.  He went on to be drafted in the 5th round and played 30 games in the NFL.  Sam is a courageous player, a great story and I hope he has a great career but in reality he is a borderline NFL talent and is being evaluated as such.  Keep in mind that he was not regarded as being the best player at his position on his own team.
Right and since then every single one was drafted in the first round (most of them in the top 20, if not top 10), with the exception of the 2nd rounder in 2005. Odd coincidence.

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 05:35:47 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

Right and since then every single one was drafted in the first round (most of them in the top 20, if not top 10), with the exception of the 2nd rounder in 2005. Odd coincidence.
Yeah, but look at all the Heisman winners and where they get drafted.  College football awards have nothing to do with NFL draft position.  Nothing at all. 

Before the SEC separated the offensive and defensive awards they just had a player of the year and that stellar group includes 4th round pick Rudi Johnson, 2 time SEC player of the year and 4th round pick Danny Wuerffel, undrafted and never played a game in the NFL Jay Barker, 2 time SEC player of the year and undrafted Shane Matthews, and that just goes back to 1990.  Also in that list are huge flame outs like David Pollack and Tim Couch.

Again, college awards have nothing to do with NFL draft status.  After the combine, no one had Michael Sam as anything more than a 6th or 7th round pick.  His measurables were awful.  That isn't to say he won't have a very long solid career, he might, but the reason he was a 7th round pick has nothing to do with anything other than his physical measurements (he is small and was slow and weak at the combine).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 09:22:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Yeah, but look at all the Heisman winners and where they get drafted.  College football awards have nothing to do with NFL draft position.  Nothing at all. 

Before the SEC separated the offensive and defensive awards they just had a player of the year and that stellar group includes 4th round pick Rudi Johnson, 2 time SEC player of the year and 4th round pick Danny Wuerffel, undrafted and never played a game in the NFL Jay Barker, 2 time SEC player of the year and undrafted Shane Matthews, and that just goes back to 1990.  Also in that list are huge flame outs like David Pollack and Tim Couch.

Again, college awards have nothing to do with NFL draft status.  After the combine, no one had Michael Sam as anything more than a 6th or 7th round pick.  His measurables were awful.  That isn't to say he won't have a very long solid career, he might, but the reason he was a 7th round pick has nothing to do with anything other than his physical measurements (he is small and was slow and weak at the combine).
So do you think if Clowney had shown up at the combine and done exactly what Sam did he would have been a 7th rounder? Because I don't.

Awards do have something to do with draft position. Yeah there are some Heismans that go undrafted like Jason White. There are also some that go #1.

But generally the ones that get the awards are the best players. That's why they get the awards. SEC DPOYs have never been drafted lower than 33rd, with the exception of one guy drafted 142nd, which was STILL 107 spots higher.

He was also a unanimous All-American. Where do you suppose the average (non kicker/punter/long snapper) unanimous All-American gets picked?

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2014, 08:46:23 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

So do you think if Clowney had shown up at the combine and done exactly what Sam did he would have been a 7th rounder? Because I don't.

Awards do have something to do with draft position. Yeah there are some Heismans that go undrafted like Jason White. There are also some that go #1.

But generally the ones that get the awards are the best players. That's why they get the awards. SEC DPOYs have never been drafted lower than 33rd, with the exception of one guy drafted 142nd, which was STILL 107 spots higher.

He was also a unanimous All-American. Where do you suppose the average (non kicker/punter/long snapper) unanimous All-American gets picked?
but Clowney couldn't show up at the combine and do what Sam did, because Clowney is significantly bigger than Sam (though if he showed up with poor measurements he certainly isn't the first pick in the draft).  Sam is short, slow, and weak.  If Johnny Manziel was a couple of inches taller and 15 pounds bigger he is the #1 pick in the draft without question, instead he dropped to #22 and some people still think that was too high.  Size matters especially in the NFL more so than any of the major sports because it is such a physically imposing game.  Sam plays at a position where he is going to need the size, strength and speed that he just doesn't have.  That isn't to say he might not overcome the physical limitations as it happens a fair amount, but the odds are stacked against him.

Again college awards mean nothing, Jason White was a Heisman trophy winner and a unanimous All American in 2004 and wasn't drafted.  In fact he had a few tryouts but never even made a NFL team. 

Jackson Jeffcoat a consensus All American this past year went undrafted.  Why not claim some giant conspiracy with him?  David Yankey, like Sam, was a 2013 unanimous all american (and who unlike Sam was also an all american in 2012) was a fifth round pick this past year.  Where is the outcry for him.  Or Cyril Richardson, also a 5th round pick.  How about Ka'Deem Carey and Andre Williams, both 4th round picks? 

The simple truth is Michael Sam was drafted where his physical attributes dictated he should be drafted.  NFL teams did not avoid drafting him because he is gay, they avoided drafting him because he is small, slow, and weak.  It really is that simple.

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2014, 09:24:20 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

but Clowney couldn't show up at the combine and do what Sam did, because Clowney is significantly bigger than Sam (though if he showed up with poor measurements he certainly isn't the first pick in the draft).  Sam is short, slow, and weak.  If Johnny Manziel was a couple of inches taller and 15 pounds bigger he is the #1 pick in the draft without question, instead he dropped to #22 and some people still think that was too high.  Size matters especially in the NFL more so than any of the major sports because it is such a physically imposing game.  Sam plays at a position where he is going to need the size, strength and speed that he just doesn't have.  That isn't to say he might not overcome the physical limitations as it happens a fair amount, but the odds are stacked against him.

Again college awards mean nothing, Jason White was a Heisman trophy winner and a unanimous All American in 2004 and wasn't drafted.  In fact he had a few tryouts but never even made a NFL team. 

Jackson Jeffcoat a consensus All American this past year went undrafted.  Why not claim some giant conspiracy with him?  David Yankey, like Sam, was a 2013 unanimous all american (and who unlike Sam was also an all american in 2012) was a fifth round pick this past year.  Where is the outcry for him.  Or Cyril Richardson, also a 5th round pick.  How about Ka'Deem Carey and Andre Williams, both 4th round picks? 

The simple truth is Michael Sam was drafted where his physical attributes dictated he should be drafted.  NFL teams did not avoid drafting him because he is gay, they avoided drafting him because he is small, slow, and weak.  It really is that simple.
So your theory is that Sam was Doug Flutied?

That's an interesting theory, but when you look at his measurements vs the measurements of other players drafted before him (like his teammate Kony) they are very comparable, which is actually pretty good when you take into account the whole banquet circuit that award winners have to do. Also he has a better body of work in a better league than the vast majority of players drafted before him.

While it's common for players with less than stellar measurements to slide in the draft it's also common for them to rise (Tebow?). 

Jeffcoat and Yankey?   I think teams made mistakes on those, but maybe the big reason there's no outcry is because there's nothing about them that people are particularly phobic about. 

I'm not saying the league had some secret midnight meeting where they all got together and vowed to pass on him till the 7th round. I'm just saying he got screwed for the wrong reasons.

If his name were Manning? Then where does he get drafted?

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2014, 09:37:47 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I'm not saying the league had some secret midnight meeting where they all got together and vowed to pass on him till the 7th round. I'm just saying he got screwed for the wrong reasons.

I'd agree with that -- although I also think that the decision not to take him was made easier by his relative weaknesses at the combine as well, since that allows for a justification of why you'd pass beyond "don't want no gays in our locker-rooms, y'hear?"
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2014, 09:44:51 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

So your theory is that Sam was Doug Flutied?

That's an interesting theory, but when you look at his measurements vs the measurements of other players drafted before him (like his teammate Kony) they are very comparable, which is actually pretty good when you take into account the whole banquet circuit that award winners have to do. Also he has a better body of work in a better league than the vast majority of players drafted before him.

While it's common for players with less than stellar measurements to slide in the draft it's also common for them to rise (Tebow?). 

Jeffcoat and Yankey?   I think teams made mistakes on those, but maybe the big reason there's no outcry is because there's nothing about them that people are particularly phobic about. 

If his name were Manning? Then where does he get drafted?
Kony Ealy had significantly better combine numbers than Michael Sam.  The only thing they were close on was the 40 yard dash, but at the Missouri pro day, Ealy was significantly faster than Sam in that.  Ealy had much better measurables (not to mention is taller and heavier), which is why he was a late second round pick and why Sam was a 7th rounder.  Ealy was 5 inches better on the vertical, 5 more reps on the bench, a second faster on the cone, a longer broad jump, etc.  Then you combine that with his 12 pounds and 2 inch height advantage it isn't hard to figure out why Ealy went significantly higher than Sam.