Author Topic: 2014 NFL Draft  (Read 19878 times)

Re: 2014 NFL Draft
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 12:38:57 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
5-10 years from now, I just don't really think people will look back at the 2014 draft as one of those great drafts not just for QBs but for all the talent here.
I think you're probably on the money with that assessment.  no one jumped out at me as a foundation-quality player for a team

I like the DB's in the draft. Think Pryor, Clinton-Dix, Fuller, Gilbert, etc. can all be pro-bowl quality players.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The Pats just had the injury year from Hell with both of their major DTs having year ending injuries and over the age of 31. So what do they do in the first round? Draft a guy with not one, but two ACL tears before the age of 23.  Oh and in free agency they brought in a 33 year old DE who missed all last year with injuries. For whatever reason this team is addicted to guys with injury problems. Ras I Dowling. Gronk. If you were a pretty good player, but couldn't stay on the field the Patriots are the team for you.

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 09:20:54 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Pats pick QB Garoppolo in 2nd round.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:41:42 PM by Cman »
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 09:42:28 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Unexpected Round 2 pick. Heres hoping for a Center in Round 3 and a safety and RB in Round 4.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 12:53:19 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
A guy with two ACL injuries in the 1st, a backup QB in the 2nd, and the patented trade-back in the 3rd.

Truly thrilling draft for the Pats.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 06:42:46 AM »

Offline Schiller

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
  • Ball Don't Lie!
I'm so incredibly disappointed with this pick. We could have filled a position of need. It shows that we really just aren't taking full advantage of Brady's last years. We could have picked someone to help win now. 
"I'm cold-blooded!" - Paul Pierce

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 07:51:38 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
drafting isn't a strength for the Pats

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 08:10:18 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm so incredibly disappointed with this pick. We could have filled a position of need. It shows that we really just aren't taking full advantage of Brady's last years. We could have picked someone to help win now.

Either they're really high on Garoppolo, or they really didn't think much of this draft.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 08:27:23 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
There are only so many players left and BB still has to get a couple Rutgers guys too. Looks like free agency will be important this year

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 08:58:42 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

I read/hear sentiments like this a lot, and I disagree with this. Its clear the Pats need to draft a good backup QB. They thought the value of the pick in bottom of 2nd round was better than projected value in bottom of 3rd round. So they went for it.

Now, maybe people disagree with the idea that the Pats need "a good backup QB", but lets be honest with ourselves, the probability that TB12 misses one or more games increases dramatically with each year (he's 37 right now). In order to "win" the Pats need QB depth.

And just to be clear, I don't know much about Garoppolo or how he might compare to other QBs. On that I just trust to BB and co, for now.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 08:59:21 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

drafting isn't a strength for [insert name of any team in professional sports here]
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 09:50:47 AM »

Offline Schiller

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
  • Ball Don't Lie!

I think people say this a lot. Personally, I don't agree with it. I think they have some really bad picks and some really good picks. They take a lot of risks. For instance Ras-I Dowling and Gronkowski. Both were huge risk, huge upside. One worked out, one didn't. Check out this link about ranking teams draft picks in this last year: http://q.usatoday.com/2014/05/07/nfl-draft-best-teams-seattle-seahawks-san-francisco-49ers-tennessee-titans-new-england-patriots/

Going back to the Garoppolo pick: I don't think he is a bad player. I just think this was too early a year to pick a good replacement. Brady is playing at an elite level, we still have Mallett, we need to take advantage of what Brady has left. QB depth IMO is not important. If Brady goes down we don't have a realistic chance at the Superbowl. Why not draft some difference makers who were still on the board at that point? Louis Nix was a first round talent. He could have come in and been a starter from day 1. There were more players like this too: Marcus Martin (Many considered him the #1 center in the draft), C.J Fiedorowicz (A top TE in the draft, which is a position of need for the Pats).

I just think this was more of a planning for the future move. Teams like the Broncos and Seahawks are going all-in now. We can't compete if we're drafting for the future.
"I'm cold-blooded!" - Paul Pierce

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 09:55:51 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

drafting isn't a strength for [insert name of any team in professional sports here]
It would seem to be a strength for Seattle

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 10:08:21 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think Belichick drafts guys sometimes just to tick off the prognosticators at ESPN, not to mention the loyal fan base.  The first round pick didn't bother me, but taking the Eastern Illinois quarterback in the second left me scratching my head.  Kid does not seem destined to be anything other than a back up.  But after drafting Tom Brady in the sixth, what can you say??

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2014, 05:00:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Pats just drafted a guy (DE) I never heard of from a school I didn't know existed. Coulda had Michael Sam.

The fix is in.  It's embarrassing