Author Topic: Can expiring contracts be traded during the NBA off-season?  (Read 5886 times)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Or was the trade deadline, the deadline to trade all possible expiring contracts? So can we trade Humphries/Bogans off this off-season for a high salary paid player?

TP to those who answer, just curious.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Can expiring contracts be traded during the NBA off-season?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 03:03:54 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Or was the trade deadline, the deadline to trade all possible expiring contracts? So can we trade Humphries/Bogans off this off-season for a high salary paid player?

At this point any contract that is expiring or has a player option (or early termination option) for next season cannot be traded.

Humphries cannot be traded. Bogans can; his contract is non-guaranteed, which is different.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q99

In addition, teams cannot trade players under the following circumstances:

. . . .

When the trade deadline has passed. Teams are free to make trades again once their season has ended, but cannot trade players whose contracts are ending or could end due to an option or ETO.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 03:09:57 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

At this point any contract that is expiring or has a player option (or early termination option) for next season cannot be traded.

Humphries cannot be traded. Bogans can; his contract is non-guaranteed, which is different.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q99

In addition, teams cannot trade players under the following circumstances:

. . . .

When the trade deadline has passed. Teams are free to make trades again once their season has ended, but cannot trade players whose contracts are ending or could end due to an option or ETO.

Ah, I see. Thanks, and TP!

I guess the possibility of acquiring Melo, and Gasol would be impossible :(

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In addition to what Lucky indicated, the off-season is actually two separate parts:  one is the 2013-14 league year (ending June 30, 2014) and the other is the 2014-15 league year (beginning on July 1, 2014)

After July 1, we can include our expired contracts in sign-and-trades that they agree to.  (You probably knew this, but I wanted to make sure.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 03:16:20 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
In addition to what Lucky indicated, the off-season is actually two separate parts:  one is the 2013-14 league year (ending June 30, 2014) and the other is the 2014-15 league year (beginning on July 1, 2014)

After July 1, we can include our expired contracts in sign-and-trades that they agree to.  (You probably knew this, but I wanted to make sure.)

Yup, I did, but thanks for giving more clarification.

I figured so.

I also don't think Humphries would agreed to a one year contract anyways.

I really think his expiring contract could've been a great asset, but it doesn't seem like Ainge would re-sign Humphries.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 03:25:05 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Re: Humphries, it's hard to say what might happen.

If Ainge does use Bass as a trade chip, then perhaps he'd bring back Humphries next season.

The Celtics do have Humphries' Bird Rights, I believe. So there could be the option of a sign and trade if he's not going to be brought back. That could, at the very least, generate another trade exception for Ainge to leverage down the line.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 03:27:31 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

So what if the Celts say wanted to include Humphries' contract in a draft night deal to match salaries? Could they do so?

In other words, could an expiring contract still be dealt in the final week of June before July 1st?

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 03:29:09 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

So what if the Celts say wanted to include Humphries' deal in a draft night deal to match salaries? Could they do so?

In other words, could an expiring contract still be dealt in the final week of June before July 1st?

No. The trade deadline shuts the door on dealing expiring contracts within the same season (which ends on June 30).

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 03:29:29 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

So what if the Celts say wanted to include Humphries' deal in a draft night deal to match salaries? Could they do so?

I think the trade deadline was basically the last day you could potentially trade expiring contracts. In order for us to trade them via draft day, they would have to agree to a sign and trade.

I remember trying to trade Humphries/players for Gasol in NBA 2K14, and it told me that in order to trade expiring contracts they would need to be reinstated for a renewal on their contract.

I just posted this question to confirm.

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I think the trade deadline was basically the last day you could potentially trade expiring contracts. In order for us to trade them via draft day, they would have to agree to a sign and trade.

I remember trying to trade Humphries/players for Gasol in NBA 2K14, and it told me that in order to trade expiring contracts they would need to be reinstated for a renewal on their contract.

I just posted this question to confirm.

We cannot trade Humphries on draft day as a sign-and-trade.  He cannot talk to teams until July 1st about new contracts, whereas the draft is June 26th.  While there are probably backroom conversations that occur before July 1st, agreeing to a trade a June 26th would not at all be allowed.

I'm sure that if Danny does not intend to re-sign Humphries he will say that he's willing to help facilitate a sign-and-trade.  This could even allow the signing of Humphries by Team A to be counted as outgoing salary in a three-way trade in which the Celtics are getting something from Team B.  For example, if Humphries signed with Oklahoma City for their $6 million trade exception, the Celtics could work out a three-way trade with Memphis in which OKC got Humphries, Memphis got Bogans' non-guaranteed deal and draft picks, and the Celtics got Gasol.  This would allow the Celtics to send out $11 million in salary (Hump and Bogans combined) instead of just $5 million (Bogans), and not require Memphis to take back any guaranteed salary.  (Again, the above is just an example -- I have no idea if the Thunder would like Humphries for $6 million).

While Humphries and Bayless have less value as expiring contracts, they don't yet have zero trade value for the C's, if the right opportunity presents itself.