Author Topic: How do the celtics get Drummond  (Read 16770 times)

Re: How do the celtics get Drummond
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 07:23:45 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Put Lebron with Jennings and Smith and Lebron would never win a title.

You say that.

But LeBron/Josh Smith together is something.

And this is coming from someone who freaking hates LeBron (admittedly irrationally at parts).

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 07:28:11 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I wouldn't want to get him. Boston would have to give up way to much in order to get him back, and he's just not good enough to give up half your team for.  He's not Carmello Anthony, or Dwight Howard, or Lebron James, or Kevin Durant, or Chris Paul.  He's not a guy who's going to turn a bad lottery team into a playoff challenger. 

He's a good starting center with high upside, that's about it.

If you play him at PF Josh Smith is pretty much just as good as Drummond overall, yet he's going to cost you probably 1/3 the price to acquire...and there is no way Drummond is 3x better a player.  Same can be said for somebody like Marcin Gortat - he's 90% as good as Drummond and would cost far less to acquire. 

Drummond just isn't good enough RIGHT NOW to justify the price it would take to acquire him.  You'd be paying that price based purely on his percieved potential, which may or may not ever reach. 

You can usually tell a future superstar when you see one.  Demarcus Cousins was putting up per-36 numbers of 18/9/3/1/1 in his rookie and sophomore seasons.  Anthony Davis averaged close to 20/10 in this, his sophomore year.  Drummond is nowhere near that type of production.  Yeh he's dong nicely on the boards, but his scoring numbers are pretty average, his passing abilty is nothing special, and his free throw shooting makes Dwight Howard look like Ray Allen.

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 01:14:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Not trying to be snarky but if Drummond is all that great why does Detroit suck so much?

a) Josh Smith
b) Brandon Jennings
c) Everyone else on the roster not named Greg Monroe
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 01:25:44 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Not trying to be snarky but if Drummond is all that great why does Detroit suck so much?

a) Josh Smith
b) Brandon Jennings

d) revolving door of coaches for the last half-decade
e) poor decisions by management
f) lack of clear direction for rebuilding the franchise
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 01:29:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm sorry, the Detroit Pistons start Jennings and PG and Smith at SF. There are no earthly powers that will make such a team any good.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 01:49:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

a) Josh Smith
b) Brandon Jennings

Don't give Monroe a free pass.  His defense is terrible, and his jump-shooting has gone from bad to atrocious.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 01:53:26 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I wouldn't want to get him. Boston would have to give up way to much in order to get him back, and he's just not good enough to give up half your team for.  He's not Carmello Anthony, or Dwight Howard, or Lebron James, or Kevin Durant, or Chris Paul.  He's not a guy who's going to turn a bad lottery team into a playoff challenger. 

He's a good starting center with high upside, that's about it.

If you play him at PF Josh Smith is pretty much just as good as Drummond overall, yet he's going to cost you probably 1/3 the price to acquire...and there is no way Drummond is 3x better a player.  Same can be said for somebody like Marcin Gortat - he's 90% as good as Drummond and would cost far less to acquire. 

Drummond just isn't good enough RIGHT NOW to justify the price it would take to acquire him.  You'd be paying that price based purely on his percieved potential, which may or may not ever reach. 

You can usually tell a future superstar when you see one.  Demarcus Cousins was putting up per-36 numbers of 18/9/3/1/1 in his rookie and sophomore seasons.  Anthony Davis averaged close to 20/10 in this, his sophomore year.  Drummond is nowhere near that type of production.  Yeh he's dong nicely on the boards, but his scoring numbers are pretty average, his passing abilty is nothing special, and his free throw shooting makes Dwight Howard look like Ray Allen.

Agreed, from what I've seen from Drummond, I am not really that impressed.

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 02:09:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Drummond is going to be under the Pistons' control for a while.  Gotta find other targets.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 02:10:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Don't give Monroe a free pass.  His defense is terrible, and his jump-shooting has gone from bad to atrocious.

Monroe was bad this year, too.  I can't help feeling he was horribly misused, though.  He should be playing center on a team that makes use of his post skills, rather than playing him at PF next to a guy who lives in the paint like Drummond.

Let's face it, Detroit was a massive waste of talent this season.  That falls on the players, but it also falls heavily on management and coaching.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 02:16:18 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Put Lebron with Jennings and Smith and Lebron would never win a title.  It's not Drummond's fault that his team is so poorly put together.  Don't forget how young Drummond is also.

I disagree. LeBron nearly won a title on a team where Larry Hughes was one of the "top" players.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 02:21:16 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I was a huge fan of Drummond this year, and still am.

I think the only problem is Drummond doesn't have any offensive skill set besides rebounding, dunking, catching lobs, and putbacks.

You know who else can do that, but would only cost probably an expiring contract, and a couple of second rounders? Josh Smith.

That being said, I actually don't want neither.

Drummond is on the Piston's high-to-retain list. He isn't going anywhere. While, I don't think his ceiling is anywhere close to the potentiality of Anthony Davis, or Demarcus Cousins, his value will be considered on the same echelon by the Pistons. Its the same illogical thinking that we as Celticblog users, sometimes overrate for our players too. Drummond will still be a solid center with plenty of room/time to grow, and hopefully may get tired of the Pistons in a few years, and want out. But that is the only way I can see Drummond ever on the Celtics.

Besides blocking, and rebounding, I don't really see what the big deal about Drummond is.

I would rather have someone like Marc Gasol, who has potent passing ability, high IQ, great free throw shooting, and is one of the best defensive anchors in the league.

Even if we get Drummond, there wouldn't be a immediate effect of us being positively contending or out performing said expectations even if we get him.

I hope the Grizzlies decide to blow it up and rebuild. I think Gasol may be the franchise player for the Grizzlies, but I see Gasol being sent out before Conley is.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 02:26:07 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Nowhere near the production? Drummond's per 36 is 15/15/0.5/1.4/1.8 and he's just 20 and extremely raw. At 25-26, with more polish, what will he be? That's why he's so untouchable and comparable in value to the players listed above.

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

I think the only problem is Drummond doesn't have any offensive skill set besides rebounding, dunking, catching lobs, and putbacks.

You know who else can do that, but would only cost probably an expiring contract, and a couple of second rounders? Josh Smith.

Key difference though is that Drummond knows that he doesn't have any offensive skill, whereas Josh Smith attempted 265 three pointers this year and connected on .264% of them. 

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 02:31:55 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Key difference though is that Drummond knows that he doesn't have any offensive skill, whereas Josh Smith attempted 265 three pointers this year and connected on .264% of them.

I'm a huge fan of Josh Smith. But when you play with Brandon Jennings, and two big men that clog up paint, and deny you the ability to drive in the paint, what else are you going to do?

I could list paragraphs of the obvious faults with the Pistons, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to read them either.

The only thing I can say in defense of Josh Smith, is that hes a great player when he doesn't shoot past 16 feet. Smith despite his dumb shot selection, is a pretty good passer, and can handle the ball pretty well for his size.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 02:40:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'm a huge fan of Josh Smith. But when you play with Brandon Jennings, and two big men that clog up paint, and deny you the ability to drive in the paint, what else are you going to do?

Pass the ball?  Try to get a teammate an open look?

26.4% from three equates to around 39% from 2PT.  That's not smart basketball, regardless of your teammates.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes