Author Topic: Calling All Music Lovers  (Read 12550 times)

Re: Calling All Music Lovers
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 08:03:16 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Gave it a listen, Beat LA.  She's generic and boring.  Mildly talented, but I've seen thousands of girls just like that over the past decade.  She probably wouldn't stand out enough to make it onto American Idol or X-Factor.  It's a rough business with thousands of mildly talented folks trying to break into it.

Her musical talent isn't going to carry her.  She would need to reinvent herself as some ridiculous character with absurd costumes, outrageous hair, and probably a controversial song/video about sex and/or drugs to be relevant in the industry.  But I mean, it's not like Lady Gaga or Ke$ha were any more talented... they just got connected with the right people who gave them a new image.   

Miley Cyrus had the disney machine pushing her for years and even after having built a known-brand with a reasonably large fan-base, they determined she couldn't succeed in the Taylor Swift pop-country bucket and rebranded her last January as a new-age Madonna.  It's tough.

Apologize in advance if that's your sister.

What say you about Taylor Swift, then (who I hate)?  Imho, the person on YouTube is at least as, if not more, talented.  Have you ever heard Taylor Swift live?  Ugh.  That's just, amazing ::)
Taylor Swift went through a transition almost as big as Cyrus.  She started out 90% country and now she's 99% pop.

I don't care how you classify her musically, I just want her to go away, lol.

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 09:21:46 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
That's not the point of this thread, though (discussing Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, etc).  Plus, the person on Youtube sounds exactly like Taylor Swift does without the benefit of acoustics, auto-tune, editing, or any of that other junk.  I don't know, I guess that that's just me. 

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 10:12:49 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
She has no range which sucks because I think she has a good voice.  She also has pitch problems.  Her voice is too generic.  One of those thousands of other ordinary voices I've heard before.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 10:14:20 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
Gave it a listen, Beat LA.  She's generic and boring.  Mildly talented, but I've seen thousands of girls just like that over the past decade.  She probably wouldn't stand out enough to make it onto American Idol or X-Factor.  It's a rough business with thousands of mildly talented folks trying to break into it.

Her musical talent isn't going to carry her.  She would need to reinvent herself as some ridiculous character with absurd costumes, outrageous hair, and probably a controversial song/video about sex and/or drugs to be relevant in the industry.  But I mean, it's not like Lady Gaga or Ke$ha were any more talented... they just got connected with the right people who gave them a new image.   

Miley Cyrus had the disney machine pushing her for years and even after having built a known-brand with a reasonably large fan-base, they determined she couldn't succeed in the Taylor Swift pop-country bucket and rebranded her last January as a new-age Madonna.  It's tough.

Apologize in advance if that's your sister.

You want honest hard truth answer, this is it.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 01:30:28 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
She has no range which sucks because I think she has a good voice.  She also has pitch problems.  Her voice is too generic.  One of those thousands of other ordinary voices I've heard before.

Okay, honestly, is everyone on here a judge from American Idol or something? ;D  I don't think that that's the vibe that you're trying to give off, but that's what it sounds like.  Or is it that you just watch a lot of these talent shows?  I don't, so I don't have your data and experience when it comes to making such a broad assertion about similarly-aged musicians, etc.  I realize that one's musical taste is obviously very subjective, but there are people who have commented on this thread who have really enjoyed it. 

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 02:01:57 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Meh. Sounds kind of generic to me. But to be fair if you're talking female singer/songwriters, my standard is always "You're so vain". I think to myself, "Would Carly Simon have recorded this?" and I ultimately end up thinking, nah...

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 07:17:12 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Listened to her own songs and the covers. I have a total knack for acoustic music and more-so for guitar-playing women and it was a pleasure.

I would like her to find that little stuff that makes her special. She is obviously very young and you can hear it in her own songs too. A little bit more musical "courage" when composing, if that makes sense to anyone.

I am optimistic that songwriters and musicians could be more independent from the industry in the future. Guys like Mike Masse and Walk off the earth have gained lots of popularity world-wide without a big contract with Universal and co.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to her work, TP!  By musical courage, do you mean delving even deeper into the subject matter, or something else.  I played an instrument for about 10 years, but I'm not even close to being on her, or your, level, so I guess that I need a little bit more of an explanation, if that's okay. 

What is it, to you, that makes her special?  Or is that more of a rhetorical point?

I meant in two directions - 1) working hard on your craft and 2) not being afraid to write/sing non-mainframe.

There are people that blow you out of the hall with voice (of the recent "stars" Jessie J comes to mind) and there are people that use musical ideas to do the same - a chord you will not think of putting there, a beat, a forte - piano contrast, strong lyrics, etc...

Now on Ellianne - I'd like to listen to her after half an year with a vocal teacher. The voice is there (even on the highest notes), but the control is sometimes not. Voice control comes handy when it's just you and the guitar, because you cannot hit the high ones with force.

I've experienced what a teacher can do to ones voice - you cannot tell it is the same person after some training.  More power, way more range. Making music is a lot more fun afterwards - first, you can just do stuff with your voice you've always wanted but never knew how and second, you become way more adventurous when writing.

On what makes/could make her special - I don't know. It is an art. But what I am sure of, is that being special musically and special to the modern musical industry are 2 separate things.

Best of luck to her and loads of inspiration!

"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 07:34:16 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
There are two avenues of critique. Most people here seem to be critiquing the artistic value. On that level, yes, she's basically a generic, less refined Taylor Swift. There's potential there. But the competition is tough because the degree of difficulty is low. It will take plenty of both hard work and luck to get mainstream success that way (seems like that's the type you're talking about, "the music industry").

The song structure is generic, the lyrics need refinement, the voice needs a little work (though mostly pleasant), and is just generally very boring. The good news is that from an artistic level she's much closer to Taylor Swift than she is in terms of success.

In terms of business, she can wait around and try to land a record deal, doing mainly promo shows, youtube vids and demos. But honestly, she should just get out and play shows wherever she can (teen centers, girl scout events, talent shows whatever). She'll get better and build a fan base. Fans attract more fans at any level. The first two links I'm guessing are original songs and both have nearly the same number of views (~350). That makes me think she has roughly the same people watching both and that her fans base right now is extremely small. So I'm thinking she's probably extremely local, like hometown local, right now. Start there and branch out as opportunities arise. Her covers have about double the views from what I saw and that should be expected. Keep doing the covers too. You never know when she might absolutely nail the right song at the right time.

When the time comes to record a new demo, make sure the quality is top notch (shouldn't be too hard or expensive these days). Don't be afraid to hire a professional songwriter (buy a song) for one or two tracks.

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 08:22:12 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen

Okay, honestly, is everyone on here a judge from American Idol or something? ;D  I don't think that that's the vibe that you're trying to give off, but that's what it sounds like.  Or is it that you just watch a lot of these talent shows?  I don't, so I don't have your data and experience when it comes to making such a broad assertion about similarly-aged musicians, etc.  I realize that one's musical taste is obviously very subjective, but there are people who have commented on this thread who have really enjoyed it.

I've heard a lot of talented singers (and non talented ones) do covers to popular music on youtube.  I've been a judge for a local singing talent show and I was head of the choir of the church I use to go to for years.

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 05:17:37 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I've heard a lot of talented singers (and non talented ones) do covers to popular music on youtube.  I've been a judge for a local singing talent show and I was head of the choir of the church I use to go to for years.

Thanks for clearing that up, because that's what I wasn't sure about.  Obviously, your opinion means much more to me, now that I know that you're speaking from a level of experience and expertise in this area.

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 05:23:32 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
There are two avenues of critique. Most people here seem to be critiquing the artistic value. On that level, yes, she's basically a generic, less refined Taylor Swift. There's potential there. But the competition is tough because the degree of difficulty is low. It will take plenty of both hard work and luck to get mainstream success that way (seems like that's the type you're talking about, "the music industry").

The song structure is generic, the lyrics need refinement, the voice needs a little work (though mostly pleasant), and is just generally very boring. The good news is that from an artistic level she's much closer to Taylor Swift than she is in terms of success.

In terms of business, she can wait around and try to land a record deal, doing mainly promo shows, youtube vids and demos. But honestly, she should just get out and play shows wherever she can (teen centers, girl scout events, talent shows whatever). She'll get better and build a fan base. Fans attract more fans at any level. The first two links I'm guessing are original songs and both have nearly the same number of views (~350). That makes me think she has roughly the same people watching both and that her fans base right now is extremely small. So I'm thinking she's probably extremely local, like hometown local, right now. Start there and branch out as opportunities arise. Her covers have about double the views from what I saw and that should be expected. Keep doing the covers too. You never know when she might absolutely nail the right song at the right time.

When the time comes to record a new demo, make sure the quality is top notch (shouldn't be too hard or expensive these days). Don't be afraid to hire a professional songwriter (buy a song) for one or two tracks.

Wow, thanks for that insightful analysis.  TP!  Are you in the music business, or is such knowledge and advice rather common and well known to everyone but me, haha?

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 12:29:30 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I listened to a few of her songs and she sounds a little bit pitchy.

Don't ask me if this is from professional experience because its not. I just felt like typing something I have heard Jackson say many times on AI and have no idea what it means.

I actually like her voice.

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 01:08:43 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Beat LA... I just gotta ask... Do you seriously not know this girl?  Is she just some girl you stumbled across online that you thought was cute and decided she needed a celticsblog hype man?  The only reason I responded is because you kept bumping the thread and I'm kinda a jerk... But then it just dawned on me that the girl herself might one day check YouTube analytics, notice an unusual number of views coming from a basketball blog, stumble across this thread, and find a bunch of random strangers dumping on her recordings and critiquing every aspect of her musical existence.

I can't decide if I think that incredibly awkward scenario is twistedly funny to me... Or just straight creepy.

In the event the girl does stumble across this thread... Uh... Sorry I said you were generic and boring. You're a way better singer than I am.  My bad.  Follow your dreams. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:31:04 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 11:33:03 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Beat LA... I just gotta ask... Do you seriously not know this girl?  Is she just some girl you stumbled across online that you thought was cute and decided she needed a celticsblog hype man?  The only reason I responded is because you kept bumping the thread and I'm kinda a jerk... But then it just dawned on me that the girl herself might one day check YouTube analytics, notice an unusual number of views coming from a basketball blog, stumble across this thread, and find a bunch of random strangers dumping on her recordings and critiquing every aspect of her musical existence.

I can't decide if I think that incredibly awkward scenario is twistedly funny to me... Or just straight creepy.

In the event the girl does stumble across this thread... Uh... Sorry I said you were generic and boring. You're a way better singer than I am.  My bad.  Follow your dreams.

Umm, I don't think she's cute or anything, I'm not some creep pervert from 'to catch a predator.'  I just figured that, since it's the offseason, we could do with something a little different in terms of subject matter on here (Weird Al aside, haha ;D ), and all of the offseason moves have already been made, so all is quiet on the Western Front ;D  For now. 

No, there isn't any malicious aforethought going on here, I simply thought that everybody might like to hear some fresh music that I happened upon by accident on YouTube.  There are thousands of people who use this site, and from all walks of life.  One guy is on a Boston sports radio station, so my point here is that you never know who might see it.  I didn't realize that I was greatly inconveniencing and bothering everyone.  Sorry.

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 11:36:19 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Oh no, no, no.  Nice try ;D