Author Topic: Calling All Music Lovers  (Read 12530 times)

Calling All Music Lovers
« on: May 05, 2014, 10:09:09 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Hi everyone :)  I'm hear to ask anyone who visits this thread to take a moment and listen to someone I happened upon a while ago on YouTube.  Now, I don't know this person, nor am I usually a fan of the singer-songwriter genre, but that all changed after listening to a couple of her songs.  To be fair, I'm not in the music industry, but in my humble opinion, she has all the talent in the world, and if there's anyone on here who knows someone in, or they themselves are in, the music industry, I'd ask you to pass her work onto the right people.  Trust me, you won't be disappointed (even if it's not your usual favorite musical genre)  :)  Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1T7247-1Ss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AIxiik3pDM

http://www.youtube.com/user/1play6uit3r/videos

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 08:21:12 PM by Beat LA »

Re: You Need to Hear This!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 11:00:34 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
What's her vertical and/or standing reach?

Re: Calling All Music Lovers
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 10:16:32 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
A big thank you to everyone who visited this thread and listened to some awesome music.

Re: You Need to Hear This!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
What's her vertical and/or standing reach?

Umm, what?

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 08:40:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Gave it a listen, Beat LA.  She's generic and boring.  Mildly talented, but I've seen thousands of girls just like that over the past decade.  She probably wouldn't stand out enough to make it onto American Idol or X-Factor.  It's a rough business with thousands of mildly talented folks trying to break into it.

Her musical talent isn't going to carry her.  She would need to reinvent herself as some ridiculous character with absurd costumes, outrageous hair, and probably a controversial song/video about sex and/or drugs to be relevant in the industry.  But I mean, it's not like Lady Gaga or Ke$ha were any more talented... they just got connected with the right people who gave them a new image.   

Miley Cyrus had the disney machine pushing her for years and even after having built a known-brand with a reasonably large fan-base, they determined she couldn't succeed in the Taylor Swift pop-country bucket and rebranded her last January as a new-age Madonna.  It's tough.

Apologize in advance if that's your sister.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:51:12 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 08:53:47 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I liked it. I wouldn't jam it in my car, but it was soothing . You should protect her from the bad people in the music /hollywood industry, which is like 80% of them.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 08:58:56 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
No, lol, she's not my sister.  Thanks for listening anyway.  Are you in the music industry, or are you making those observations based on the viewing of too much American Idol, ;D ?  I can't believe that that show is still on the air, haha.  For the most part, I tend stay away from shows like that, auditions aside, mostly because I find that the judges make it more about themselves, especially if they have a new album coming out (read: the voice).  Generic and boring, though?  Really? 

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 09:00:35 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I liked it. I wouldn't jam it in my car, but it was soothing . You should protect her from the bad people in the music /hollywood industry, which is like 80% of them.

As in me?  Bahahaha what the hell could I possibly do?  I'm not in the music industry lol.  TP for listening, though.  Thanks!

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 09:39:55 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Gave it a listen, Beat LA.  She's generic and boring.  Mildly talented, but I've seen thousands of girls just like that over the past decade.  She probably wouldn't stand out enough to make it onto American Idol or X-Factor.  It's a rough business with thousands of mildly talented folks trying to break into it.

Her musical talent isn't going to carry her.  She would need to reinvent herself as some ridiculous character with absurd costumes, outrageous hair, and probably a controversial song/video about sex and/or drugs to be relevant in the industry.  But I mean, it's not like Lady Gaga or Ke$ha were any more talented... they just got connected with the right people who gave them a new image.   

Miley Cyrus had the disney machine pushing her for years and even after having built a known-brand with a reasonably large fan-base, they determined she couldn't succeed in the Taylor Swift pop-country bucket and rebranded her last January as a new-age Madonna.  It's tough.

Ah yes - talent be [dang]ed!  Contemporary female musicians must always be strippers! ::)  Sigh.  I guess that that's an accurate summation of the state of the music industry these days.  What is the matter with our society?  When and why did such behavior suddenly become acceptable?  I'm going to go with Madonna, followed by Britney, of course, in addition to simply bad parenting, lol. 

Personally, I've never been a fan of any of these 'artists' ::) but at least Gaga went to Juilliard (I think).  Of course, she was also a stripper, so...

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 12:11:42 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

What say you about Taylor Swift, then (who I hate)?  Imho, the person on YouTube is at least as, if not more, talented.  Have you ever heard Taylor Swift live?  Ugh.  That's just, amazing ::)

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 01:20:10 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Ah yes - talent be [dang]ed!  Contemporary female musicians must always be strippers! ::)  Sigh.  I guess that that's an accurate summation of the state of the music industry these days.  What is the matter with our society?  When and why did such behavior suddenly become acceptable?  I'm going to go with Madonna, followed by Britney, of course, in addition to simply bad parenting, lol. 

Personally, I've never been a fan of any of these 'artists' ::) but at least Gaga went to Juilliard (I think).  Of course, she was also a stripper, so...
Popular music seems to always be sex-driven unless the person is truly exceptional.  Adele, for instance... Exceptionally gifted vocalist who partially reached her level of success, because of the inevitable backlash to the no substance pop idols like gaga. 

But I mean, if someone is really unique, they have a chance to be relevant.   They have to do something to stand out.  This girl is pretty and has some talent... Just unfortunately comes across generic. Stadiums filled with girls like this try out for reality singing shows every year.  It's tough.

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 04:09:00 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Popular music seems to always be sex-driven unless the person is truly exceptional.  Adele, for instance... Exceptionally gifted vocalist who partially reached her level of success, because of the inevitable backlash to the no substance pop idols like gaga. 

But I mean, if someone is really unique, they have a chance to be relevant.   They have to do something to stand out.  This girl is pretty and has some talent... Just unfortunately comes across generic. Stadiums filled with girls like this try out for reality singing shows every year.  It's tough.

True, I just wish that it wasn't that way.  Speaking of Adele, even though I don't like her music I cannot deny that she has an incredible voice, what the hell happened to her?  I know that she got married or something, but then she kind of just fell off the planet haha.

What is it about this girl's music that makes it generic to you?  I'm not attacking you or anything, as I know that everyone has different tastes, I was just wondering what it was that made you form such a view.  Is it the subject matter?  Is hers not your style of music, or does it sound too much like every audition on American Idol or something to you, haha? 

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 05:00:40 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Listened to her own songs and the covers. I have a total knack for acoustic music and more-so for guitar-playing women and it was a pleasure.

I would like her to find that little stuff that makes her special. She is obviously very young and you can hear it in her own songs too. A little bit more musical "courage" when composing, if that makes sense to anyone.

I am optimistic that songwriters and musicians could be more independent from the industry in the future. Guys like Mike Masse and Walk off the earth have gained lots of popularity world-wide without a big contract with Universal and co.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 04:57:13 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Listened to her own songs and the covers. I have a total knack for acoustic music and more-so for guitar-playing women and it was a pleasure.

I would like her to find that little stuff that makes her special. She is obviously very young and you can hear it in her own songs too. A little bit more musical "courage" when composing, if that makes sense to anyone.

I am optimistic that songwriters and musicians could be more independent from the industry in the future. Guys like Mike Masse and Walk off the earth have gained lots of popularity world-wide without a big contract with Universal and co.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to her work, TP!  By musical courage, do you mean delving even deeper into the subject matter, or something else.  I played an instrument for about 10 years, but I'm not even close to being on her, or your, level, so I guess that I need a little bit more of an explanation, if that's okay. 

What is it, to you, that makes her special?  Or is that more of a rhetorical point?

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 04:39:13 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

What say you about Taylor Swift, then (who I hate)?  Imho, the person on YouTube is at least as, if not more, talented.  Have you ever heard Taylor Swift live?  Ugh.  That's just, amazing ::)
Taylor Swift went through a transition almost as big as Cyrus.  She started out 90% country and now she's 99% pop. 
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale