Author Topic: What would it take to get Klay Thompson?  (Read 10694 times)

Re: What would it take to get Klay Thompson?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2014, 10:59:15 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
He's inconsistent because he'll have days where he'll shoot 13-18 and then drops to 6-15 or 5-20 the next two. I know this because ive seen every game he played this year. He is scoring points because despite those bad shooting nights, he gets to the free throw line and hes really at that area. But his efficiency is what is inconsistent.

With that said, id take the inconsistencies along with the positives if we can trade for him.

Can you show whether or not he is more or less consistent than other players who score points at a similar level?

I probably cant. I can tell Klay is inconsistent because I watched every Dubs game.

But I think youre missing my point. I agreed that he somehow he's inconsistent in efficiency. But I still want him. TI could live with his bad shooting nights just like I did watching him the whole season, because he does a lot more.

I want him playing for the Celtics, inconsistent or not.

I don't really care much about Klay Thompson one way or the other, but I find it interesting that you call him "inconsistent" and that you know this because you watched every game he played in this year.

It's only natural that when you watch every game a given player plays in that you will notice his inconsistencies.  We've seen our own players suffer from the same sort of scrutiny.  When posters frequently point out the inconsistencies in the games of Rajon Rondo and Jeff Green, it's based on this same principle.  Most of us don't watch every game played by other players around the league, so I think many assume that the numbers they put up per game are more or less what the put up on a night to night basis. 

In most cases, however, this isn't how it works.  Players have good games and bad games, and their averages are a product of their stinkers, their masterpieces, and those games that fall somewhere in between.

Basically, I'm just saying that I don't think there are all that many players who are consistently consistent. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Thompson is very overrated.  Inconsistent shooter.  Not a fan.
What exactly is your definition of inconsistent?

He was 8th in eFG% among players with 17ppg or more, 3rd in 3PT% among players with 12ppg or more, and 2nd in 3 pointers made.

He's inconsistent because he'll have days where he'll shoot 13-18 and then drops to 6-15 or 5-20 the next two. I know this because ive seen every game he played this year. He is scoring points because despite those bad shooting nights, he gets to the free throw line and hes really at that area. But his efficiency is what is inconsistent.

With that said, id take the inconsistencies along with the positives if we can trade for him.
I'm going to have to continue to disagree.

Less than 2 of Thompson's 18.4 ppg come from the FT line.

Also, my point/evidence was based completely off of efficiency, not how much he scores per game.  There are only 7 players in the entire league who score more and more efficiently than Thompson (by eFG%).

Every player has bad shooting nights.  I'm not buying your defense.  I don't see why you're disregarding season-long averages and trying to compare in your head all his bad shooting nights in the 82 GSW games you saw to how many bad shooting nights other players have had (that you might have or might not have seen).  If you expect a player to shoot 13-18 every night then I just have no clue what to say to you.  Go look at some game logs for Ray, Reggie, Price, Kyle Korver, you'll definitely see some 6-15 or 5-20.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2014, 11:07:48 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Can you show whether or not he is more or less consistent than other players who score points at a similar level?

I probably cant. I can tell Klay is inconsistent because I watched every Dubs game.

But I think youre missing my point. I agreed that he somehow he's inconsistent in efficiency. But I still want him. TI could live with his bad shooting nights just like I did watching him the whole season, because he does a lot more.

I don't really care much about Klay Thompson one way or the other, but I find it interesting that you call him "inconsistent" and that you know this because you watched every game he played in this year.

It's only natural that when you watch every game a given player plays in that you will notice his inconsistencies.  We've seen our own players suffer from the same sort of scrutiny.  When posters frequently point out the inconsistencies in the games of Rajon Rondo and Jeff Green, it's based on this same principle.  Most of us don't watch every game played by other players around the league, so I think many assume that the numbers they put up per game are more or less what the put up on a night to night basis. 

In most cases, however, this isn't how it works.  Players have good games and bad games, and their averages are a product of their stinkers, their masterpieces, and those games that fall somewhere in between.

Basically, I'm just saying that I don't think there are all that many players who are consistently consistent.

Well said, I stand corrected. I just thought for a guy wjos slated to make a ton ofoney, he cant have those kind of nights. This is what we argue about Jeff Green every game, only difference, Klay's motor is better. But you made excellent points, and its taken.

Now I like him even more.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2014, 11:16:11 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

This is like saying I can tell America doesn't have the best looking women because I've seen all the women in America.  You can't make a definitive statement like that without having a relative comparison.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2014, 11:18:05 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Thompson is very overrated.  Inconsistent shooter.  Not a fan.
What exactly is your definition of inconsistent?

He was 8th in eFG% among players with 17ppg or more, 3rd in 3PT% among players with 12ppg or more, and 2nd in 3 pointers made.

I'm going to have to continue to disagree.

Less than 2 of Thompson's 18.4 ppg come from the FT line.

Also, my point/evidence was based completely off of efficiency, not how much he scores per game.  There are only 7 players in the entire league who score more and more efficiently than Thompson (by eFG%).

Every player has bad shooting nights.  I'm not buying your defense.  I don't see why you're disregarding season-long averages and trying to compare in your head all his bad shooting nights in the 82 GSW games you saw to how many bad shooting nights other players have had (that you might have or might not have seen).  If you expect a player to shoot 13-18 every night then I just have no clue what to say to you.  Go look at some game logs for Ray, Reggie, Price, Kyle Korver, you'll definitely see some 6-15 or 5-20.

Stand corrected.

Guess I expected a lot. Its just that I thought shooting great one game and shooting bad the next two or three and then going great again is a sign of inconsistency.

Point taken.

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2014, 11:20:15 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

This is like saying I can tell America doesn't have the best looking women because I've seen all the women in America.  You can't make a definitive statement like that without having a relative comparison.

I was looking at it all wrong, and I got straightened up by you and C18.  ;D

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2014, 11:25:25 PM »

Offline CM0

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24

Nets 2016 pick unprotected, Clippers pick, any of the Celtics 2nd rounder, Avery Bradley, and KO for Draymond Green/Klay Thompson.

I read these threads all the time without commenting and finally registered because this is by far the most moronic trade proposal I've ever seen. Seriously.

You want the Celtics to give up:
An unprotected 1st round pick two years out from an already disappointing team of aging veterans (lottery is very possible)
AND
A late 1st round draft pick
AND
A second round pick
AND
A solid role-playing SG who is a lockdown defender and improving offensive player that can be likely be signed for $7 million/year (12.80 PER)
AND
A 2nd year, 7-foot, potential nightly mismatch who improved down the stretch and averaged 8.7 PPG and 5.3 RPG coming off of the bench (15.27 PER as a rookie)

For

A SG that is only slightly better than Bradley (14.32 PER)
AND
A former 2nd round pick that averaged 6.2 PPG in his second NBA season and wouldn't start for the Celtics (12.73 PER)

While you're at it, why not throw in Rondo for Golden State's 2nd round pick this year? Mind you, you proposed this trade in the context of the Cs having a high-lottery pick this year that can be used on a variety of star SG and SF prospects, NTM that the team you propose would still not even be close to contending. Are you completely insane?

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 05:29:15 AM »

Offline RRNoLookPass

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15

Nets 2016 pick unprotected, Clippers pick, any of the Celtics 2nd rounder, Avery Bradley, and KO for Draymond Green/Klay Thompson.

I read these threads all the time without commenting and finally registered because this is by far the most moronic trade proposal I've ever seen. Seriously.

An unprotected 1st round pick two years out from an already disappointing team of aging veterans (lottery is very possible)
AND
AND
A second round pick
AND
A solid role-playing SG who is a lockdown defender and improving offensive player that can be likely be signed for $7 million/year (12.80 PER)
AND
A 2nd year, 7-foot, potential nightly mismatch who improved down the stretch and averaged 8.7 PPG and 5.3 RPG coming off of the bench (15.27 PER as a rookie)

For

AND
A former 2nd round pick that averaged 6.2 PPG in his second NBA season and wouldn't start for the Celtics (12.73 PER)

While you're at it, why not throw in Rondo for Golden State's 2nd round pick this year? Mind you, you proposed this trade in the context of the Cs having a high-lottery pick this year that can be used on a variety of star SG and SF prospects, NTM that the team you propose would still not even be close to contending. Are you completely insane?

I agree that the trade proposal you quoted would be a horrible move for the Celtics. However, there is no need to respond the way you did. Head-scratching trade proposals are a daily occurrence on Celtics blog, so it is something that you will have to get used to. Just be thankful that Danny Ainge is far more savvy when it comes to the trade market, than most of the armchair GMs on this blog are.

With that being said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion regardless, which is what most of these discussions are all about. So there is no need to call someone moronic or insane, just because you don't care for their idea(s). If you finally took the time to register, then you may want to take a min to read the rules as well, so you don't continue to insult peoples' intelligence like that.

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 01:18:56 PM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
I also agree that we can't even think about shopping any of the nets picks until the year they come up. The nets are historically a bad franchise and sooner or later they will be back in the lottery.
Secondly, David lee got killed on the boards in gm 7 because bogut was out. I seriously believe they would consider a package centered around sully or KO with the clips pick and a filler. I would trade sully in a heart beat for Klay Thompson because we can replace a PF with our draft pick there are so many of them this year.

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 01:29:24 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

AND
AND
A second round pick
AND
AND

For

AND

First off... I wasn't even suggesting that we should do this trade. This thread is for trade proposals... I was merely writing what it would take for us to get Klay. GSW is clearly high on re-signing him, so this is probably what it would take for us to be able to pry Klay from GSW.

Secondly... Don't you dare insult me like that, just because you've been browsing these threads, and you just 'registered,' because my trade proposal made you do that. For someone who has been browsing these forums for so long, you didn't take a time to read out the rules?

Thirdly, if you have been browsing these forums as you said you have. I'm a huge supporter of keeping our picks, as their clearly lottery bound. So stop assuming things, and calling people names, as you see fit.

I also agree that we can't even think about shopping any of the nets picks until the year they come up. The nets are historically a bad franchise and sooner or later they will be back in the lottery.
Secondly, David lee got killed on the boards in gm 7 because bogut was out. I seriously believe they would consider a package centered around sully or KO with the clips pick and a filler. I would trade sully in a heart beat for Klay Thompson because we can replace a PF with our draft pick there are so many of them this year.

I'm a huge fan of Klay, as I think hes one of the best 3 point shooting guards, and has room to grow in his game. I wouldn't really give Sully for him. At best, I would give Bradley, and realistically the Clippers pick.

I think Klay has a huge inflated value, due to the record broken by him and Curry. But if anyone thinks about it... Lillard is probably the most untouchable guard in the league due to his great and prominent 3 pt shooting.

AND
AND
A second round pick
AND
AND

For

AND

I agree that the trade proposal you quoted would be a horrible move for the Celtics. However, there is no need to respond the way you did. Head-scratching trade proposals are a daily occurrence on Celtics blog, so it is something that you will have to get used to. Just be thankful that Danny Ainge is far more savvy when it comes to the trade market, than most of the armchair GMs on this blog are.

With that being said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion regardless, which is what most of these discussions are all about. So there is no need to call someone moronic or insane, just because you don't care for their idea(s). If you finally took the time to register, then you may want to take a min to read the rules as well, so you don't continue to insult peoples' intelligence like that.

Thank you for your kind words.

I didn't need anyone defending me, but I admired your notion to do so.

TP to you.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2014, 01:51:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I trade em

Bass or Green

Yup.....I'm a cheap skate ;D

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2014, 02:37:16 PM »

Offline RRNoLookPass

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15

Thank you for your kind words.

I didn't need anyone defending me, but I admired your notion to do so.

TP to you.

No problem at all.

It's one thing to have a good ole debate regarding trade ideas, (that's what so many of the threads here consist of in the offseason anyhow) but it really irks me when people post condescending responses that are designed to insult someone, rather than to make a constructive contribution to the thread. ...Especially when someone registers specifically to make a comment like that.

And I agree with your opinion that it would probably take a substantial amount of the Celt's assets to acquire Klay Thompson.  I am a big Klay fan, but I think it would cost too much to pry him away from the Warriors....they seem to value him very highly. If it comes down to financial issues, I'd imagine they will look to trade Barnes well before they'd let Thompson get away.