Author Topic: What would it take to get Klay Thompson?  (Read 10704 times)

What would it take to get Klay Thompson?
« on: May 04, 2014, 02:12:51 PM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
Guys, I'm curious as to what y'all think the celtics could give the warriors to get Klay Thompson. I think he and beal are the best young SG in the league and I loved his series against the clips.

Bass
17th pick 2014 draft
Clippers 2015 first round

I might be way off but I think that's what I'd offer

Re: What would it take to get Klay Thompson?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 02:31:13 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Guys, I'm curious as to what y'all think the celtics could give the warriors to get Klay Thompson. I think he and beal are the best young SG in the league and I loved his series against the clips.

Bass
17th pick 2014 draft

Our 2014 lotto pick

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 02:37:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It would probably take a Harden-like situation where Thompson wants a max-contract extension and the Warriors don't want to give him one but are willing to trade him to another team that will.

But I think the Warriors might be willing to hold him and let him become a restricted free agent instead.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 02:39:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Thompson is very overrated.  Inconsistent shooter.  Not a fan.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 02:52:57 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Thompson is very overrated.  Inconsistent shooter.  Not a fan.

True (which is frustrating BTW), but a very good defender and can defend 3 positions, and an improving game in which he's getting better at driving the lane and posting up. And incosistent as he is, he's still a 41% 3PT shooter, which is very good.

Not that I think the Dubs would trade him away (unless they get floored with the offer), but I'd take the inconsistency along with his ability to play defense and improving game. I'd would take A LOT though to get him I think. It will start with our lotto pick for sure.

BTW, a little off topic but somewhat related. If we are trading for someone from the Warriors, we get Draymond Green. We use our 2nd 1st and some other pieces (dont have a rough idea yet but you get the drift) to try and get him. That kid is a star in the making. He won't give you 18 points a game (maybe he will) but he'll defend, he'll make the right pass, he'll battle down low, he'll hustle and he'll be a leader. I know the salaries don't work but if I can trade Jeff Green for him straight up right now, done deal.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:58:38 PM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 02:57:08 PM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
They'd want Sully & Green.

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 02:58:57 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Then done.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 03:24:15 PM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24

Then done.

Can we get Craw back too? #Steez4life

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 04:26:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Then done.

Yeah, that probably isn't going to happen and would they really want Green with Iguodala and Barnes already playing sf? I guess Green could move to sg, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense for them.

I think a more reasonable deal is Sully and AB. With Klay coming in, we wouldn't need AB (although I like him a LOT as a third guard). I also hate to give up Sully, but With Olynyk and Bass, I think we are covered at PF.

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 04:32:42 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I swear, sometimes I think you guys love to give up all of our assets for nothing more than a grass is always green situation.

How is Klay that much of an upgrade over AB in any stretch of the imagination to give up Sully and a pick(s) with Green/Bass/AB? I really hope Danny is better at this than a lot of you are.

I scratch my head with these threads more and more every day.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 04:39:51 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
I swear, sometimes I think you guys love to give up all of our assets for nothing more than a grass is always green situation.

How is Klay that much of an upgrade over AB in any stretch of the imagination to give up Sully and a pick(s) with Green/Bass/AB? I really hope Danny is better at this than a lot of you are.

I scratch my head with these threads more and more every day.

I don't know that I would be ecstatic with such a deal, I was just saying what I think it would take. I would love to hold on to AB as our 3rd guard - he would be such an asset to have coming off the bench to play either guard position. The problem with him, though, is that his contract may be a little more than Danny wants to pay.

The fact is, we need to upgrade a couple of positions (most notably center, but a potentially premier sg would be nice). If we are going to 'cash in', one of KO or Sully will most likely be traded. The obvious center choice would be Asik with the trade exception, but that makes me yawn a little.

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 04:41:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I hate when players get hailed as 'able to defend 3' positions. I mean, he can defend 3 positions in the right matchups, but you can't just plug him in against Lebron in place of Iggy or Jeff Green and expect similar results. Likewise, you can plug Bradley in against Tay Prince and he'd do fine.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 04:52:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Luv Klay s game , on of the smoothest players ever. 

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 05:23:34 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Bass
17th pick 2014 draft

Nets 2016 pick unprotected, Clippers pick, any of the Celtics 2nd rounder, Avery Bradley, and KO for Draymond Green/Klay Thompson.

Klay is the type of player you want from Rondo though. Klay needs to still improve on defense, cause hes still still slow laterally to keep up with quick shooting guards.

I know no one wants to do this, but I would do a trade of Avery Bradley, Clippers pick, and any of our second rounders for Dion Waiters.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 05:29:35 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 05:36:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

Bass
17th pick 2014 draft

Nets 2016 pick unprotected, Clippers pick, any of the Celtics 2nd rounder, Avery Bradley, and KO for Draymond Green/Klay Thompson.

Klay is the type of player you want from Rondo though. Klay needs to still improve on defense, cause hes still still slow laterally to keep up with quick shooting guards.

I know no one wants to do this, but I would do a trade of Avery Bradley, Clippers pick, and any of our second rounders for Dion Waiters.

You never know if/when somebody is going to stop being a knucklehead, but Waiters has boom or bust written all over him. If we could buy low, I would be willing to take a shot.