Author Topic: is Embiid our guy?  (Read 3764 times)

Re: is Embiid our guy?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 12:10:27 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
no one knows if he is going to be a bust or not, but I would not recommend that you take a chance on a one and done foreigner.

He is from Cameroon, right? I would not spend a #1 overall on a kid that has not been tracked for longer than a couple of years.

Some of these foreigners lie about their age and experience playing ball. He may have maxed out for all you know.

You dont believe, check out Freddie Adu the supposed 'next Pele' from Ghana. How did that work out?

So, to put it in a nice way, you're saying that he's more raw of a prospect than Parker or Wiggins.

I'd agree with that.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 02:00:38 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
It would be tough for me to choose between Embiid and Wiggins... I find Embiid a bit risky with recent health developments but he's been my man since before that.  His potential is just sky high.

Can't go wrong either way but if I'm Ainge staring at a 1st pick... I live a little on the edge and take Embiid.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 02:45:53 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
I think you absolutely pick Embiid, barring major medical red flags.  His ceiling is as high as they come.  A 7'-0" player that can defend the rim, and has the post footwork and shooting touch.  I don't think it should even be close.

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 02:52:45 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
No. I pick Parker or Wiggins. I get a cheap big and start Sully and KO.

Let me get real, I don't know much about these kids... I only know about Parker because I'm a Duke fan that thinks he's just, okay...

I'm waiting to study up on these guys when we actually know what our pick is... I'll search the net for everything on them, I won't just watch highlight videos because they are HIGHlights!

Like every season I will do that and Ainge will pick someone I never thought he would or someone I never considered.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 07:13:42 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
Not to dodge the OP question, but I don't care at this point.

Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, and Exum I think would all put a smile on my face.

I do think Embiid is furthest away in terms of "readiness".

agreed
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 07:34:25 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
no one knows if he is going to be a bust or not, but I would not recommend that you take a chance on a one and done foreigner.

He is from Cameroon, right? I would not spend a #1 overall on a kid that has not been tracked for longer than a couple of years.

Some of these foreigners lie about their age and experience playing ball. He may have maxed out for all you know.

You dont believe, check out Freddie Adu the supposed 'next Pele' from Ghana. How did that work out?

Seriously? This is just xenophobic BS. I understand that prospects from developing countries sometimes lie about their age, but the ones that don't still outnumber the ones that do, and in any case, no one has even raised that possibility with Embiid.  There isn't even any reason to think that (aside from his country of origin, apparently).  He doesn't look older than most of the people in his class and isn't more physically developed. 

Do you also think he shouldn't be allowed to play because other players might get HIV?

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Obviously, it all depends on where we pick and who is there.

Given that we are 91.5% likely to pick 1,2,3,5 or 6, that means that at worst (picking #6), we have to 'settle' for one of the top 6 players on Danny's board.

The guessing game is:  What is Danny's draft board order?

Mine would go:

Wiggins (most upside relative to his projected position, SG)
Embiid  (if healthy, gets the nod over Parker because he's a 7 footer)
Parker
Exum
Gordon
Vonleh

I'm comfortable with ending up with any one of those guys.

Obviously, Danny's board may be different.

If by some disaster we end up picking #7 (8.2% chance) or #8 (just a 0.3% chance) I would want Danny to trade down to maximize value.   I kind of view the guys from that point through #15 as all having debatably similar value.  So if he could drop down a few slots and pick up something else (additional pick, future pick, whatever) that would fine by me.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 09:00:15 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Its hard to get into this speculation after this pos season and then only getting the 5th odds.

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 10:56:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Don't know about you, but a 7-footer with a stress fracture scares the heck out of me.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 10:57:31 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Don't know about you, but a 7-footer with a stress fracture scares the heck out of me.

Drummond was out part of last season with a stress fracture in his back, and he looked great this year.

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 11:04:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951

Make Danny's day.

Pass that thought on to the GMs picking before us  ;D

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2014, 08:46:40 AM »

• Dennis Johnson
I hope so. I would love to get Embiid. I would take him #1 overall if we land the 1st pick, and would try to trade up to get him if we land the 5th or 6th pick. I understand the hype on Wiggins and Parker, and it is well deserved, but Embiid has all the tools to be a top center in the league for a decade, and those are extremely rare.

I ? gree here..

Celtics hit the jackpot if we get a top four pick......Given all the mass of horrible luck and or misfortune we ve suffered the past 25 years .

I say we are due ..... :D

yep. i think we are due for some good luck in the lotto. top 3???? i hope.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2014, 08:47:51 AM »

• Dennis Johnson

Make Danny's day.

Pass that thought on to the GMs picking before us  ;D

lol
LET'S GO CELTICS!