Author Topic: is Embiid our guy?  (Read 3768 times)

is Embiid our guy?
« on: April 24, 2014, 06:57:15 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Now i know we have the 5th best odds, but what if we win the lottery? Do we take Embiid? Alot of people talk about the fact that we need rim protection(badly), rebounding, a star, scoring, and front court athleticism. Although its not a gurantee that his immense talent will translate, i think he can be our pick if we are fortunate enough to get a top pick. He has unbelievable tools like effortless athleticism, fluidity, post moves, touch, shot blocking, passing, speed, shoot free throws and mid range jumpers, you name it..and hes only been playing for a few years !!. Embiid is an excellent prospect. Not to mention he fills a need...rim protection. Joel also fits in perfectly. A Sullinger/Embiid frontcourt= scary. Many on this site gush over Anthony Davis (as they should) so i think Embiid would be a great pick in the minds of most. Embiid has all the tools to potentially have similar impact and value to Davis. They have different games.. Ant Davis operates in the mid post and mid range, while Embiid scores in the low post but Embiid could become an elite two way player that Ant Davis is. What do u all think about Embiid and how he fits with the Celtics?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:10:52 PM by celticmania »

Re: is Embiid our guy?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:44:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I hope so. I would love to get Embiid. I would take him #1 overall if we land the 1st pick, and would try to trade up to get him if we land the 5th or 6th pick. I understand the hype on Wiggins and Parker, and it is well deserved, but Embiid has all the tools to be a top center in the league for a decade, and those are extremely rare.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 08:54:23 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Not to dodge the OP question, but I don't care at this point.

Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, and Exum I think would all put a smile on my face.

I do think Embiid is furthest away in terms of "readiness".
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 08:58:39 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I sure hope he is. We fix back problems.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:34:53 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
It all depends on his medical examinations.  If his back checks out then absolutely yes but if it's red flagged then I think you have to take a guy who's guaranteed to be able to play at #1.  Blowing a top pick on a guy who can't stay healthy would be a massive setback

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 09:48:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It all depends on his medical examinations.  If his back checks out then absolutely yes but if it's red flagged then I think you have to take a guy who's guaranteed to be able to play at #1.  Blowing a top pick on a guy who can't stay healthy would be a massive setback

Centers or tall players in general do have one time back problem incidents.  It's usually a re occuring matter unless 1) surgery 2) strengthen the core/overall body

Even if the doctors clears this matter, nobody knows after 10 games the issue is not going to comeback.  Embiid knows that if he stayed in college and the situation arised again, he would not drafted as high the year after. He is after the money (no surprise)

Sullinger and Mcgary did the right thing by fixing their backs when they did imo.

Embiid has some serious upside but since i'm not much of a risk taker, i would pass on him, especially if we won the 1st pick.   I'm hoping Danny drafts Wiggins, Exum or Gordon at this point.

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 10:31:33 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Centers or tall players in general do have one time back problem incidents.  It's usually a re occuring matter unless 1) surgery 2) strengthen the core/overall body

Even if the doctors clears this matter, nobody knows after 10 games the issue is not going to comeback.  Embiid knows that if he stayed in college and the situation arised again, he would not drafted as high the year after. He is after the money (no surprise)

Sullinger and Mcgary did the right thing by fixing their backs when they did imo.

Embiid has some serious upside but since i'm not much of a risk taker, i would pass on him, especially if we won the 1st pick.   I'm hoping Danny drafts Wiggins, Exum or Gordon at this point.

If he's available and healthy, heck yes. And no offense intended, but I'm not sure why anyone would want Gordon over Embiid. High-quality centers are exceedingly rare, and Embiid has the potential to become one, whereas Gordon—though he's quite talented defensively—seems severely limited offensively, and high-quality wings are more plentiful.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 11:04:11 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

If he's available and healthy, heck yes. And no offense intended, but I'm not sure why anyone would want Gordon over Embiid. High-quality centers are exceedingly rare, and Embiid has the potential to become one, whereas Gordon—though he's quite talented defensively—seems severely limited offensively, and high-quality wings are more plentiful.

Exactly.

There's no indication from the KU medical staff that Embiid's problems are long-standing.

And Gordon is just a slightly taller version of Tony Allen. The upside question isn't even close.

I'd be thrilled if Embiid fell to us, horrified if we end up with the enigma that is Exum and knee-deep in meh if it ends up being Gordon.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 11:26:20 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
#1 pick i see us taking jabari or wiggins. honestly the case can be made for any of the 3.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 11:30:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Exactly.

There's no indication from the KU medical staff that Embiid's problems are long-standing.

And Gordon is just a slightly taller version of Tony Allen. The upside question isn't even close.

I'd be thrilled if Embiid fell to us, horrified if we end up with the enigma that is Exum and knee-deep in meh if it ends up being Gordon.

i agree. Embiid has the most upside out of anyone in the draft.  But that back problem doesn't stand well with me.

You guys remember what happened with Oden?  Look at Noel now. Big guys and injuries (knees or back) early in their careers = short careers

I guess Celtics can take the chance bc we have so many picks anyways and the pick could turn into home run. If the doctors feel like with the Sullinger situation he will recover with Surgery, i rather he gets the surgery first.

Mocks having

Bucks - Wiggins
76ers - Parker
Magic - Exum
Jazz - Embiid

wouldn't be a surprise.  If Danny skips on him also, just know that there is probably an issue.
Embiid could be bypassed until 76ers pick again. They would have no issue on taking a chance since they have so many picks anyways.

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 11:34:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I hope so. I would love to get Embiid. I would take him #1 overall if we land the 1st pick, and would try to trade up to get him if we land the 5th or 6th pick. I understand the hype on Wiggins and Parker, and it is well deserved, but Embiid has all the tools to be a top center in the league for a decade, and those are extremely rare.

I àgree here..

Celtics hit the jackpot if we get a top four pick......Given all the mass of horrible luck and or misfortune we ve suffered the past 25 years .

I say we are due ..... :D

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 11:42:25 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188

I àgree here..

Celtics hit the jackpot if we get a top four pick......Given all the mass of horrible luck and or misfortune we ve suffered the past 25 years .

I say we are due ..... :D

I certainly hope so!

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 11:44:53 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Embid is gonna be a bust

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 11:50:41 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Exactly.

i agree. Embiid has the most upside out of anyone in the draft.  But that back problem doesn't stand well with me.

You guys remember what happened with Oden?  Look at Noel now. Big guys and injuries (knees or back) early in their careers = short careers

I guess Celtics can take the chance bc we have so many picks anyways and the pick could turn into home run. If the doctors feel like with the Sullinger situation he will recover with Surgery, i rather he gets the surgery first.

Mocks having

Bucks - Wiggins
76ers - Parker
Magic - Exum
Jazz - Embiid

wouldn't be a surprise.  If Danny skips on him also, just know that there is probably an issue.
Embiid could be bypassed until 76ers pick again. They would have no issue on taking a chance since they have so many picks anyways.
Parker and Gordon both broke bones in their senior years of high school.  Noel is reportedly fine now.  Drummond had the same back injury as Embiid is fine now.  Blake Griffin missed his whole first year with a knee injury and is fine...  I'd be more worried about a center with foot problems(Walton/Lopez/Ming/Illgauskas) than a back problem.

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 11:52:50 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
no one knows if he is going to be a bust or not, but I would not recommend that you take a chance on a one and done foreigner.

He is from Cameroon, right? I would not spend a #1 overall on a kid that has not been tracked for longer than a couple of years.

Some of these foreigners lie about their age and experience playing ball. He may have maxed out for all you know.

You dont believe, check out Freddie Adu the supposed 'next Pele' from Ghana. How did that work out?