Author Topic: Identifying the next 'KG' and 'Ray'  (Read 10435 times)

Re: Identifying the next 'KG' and 'Ray'
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2014, 08:07:58 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Ray Allen was coming off an ankle injury that lowered his value somewhat and he was also 32 years old as people have mentioned. That's why he was available for what some may consider a low price. I tend to think regardless of the perceived weakness of that draft, it was a fair trade. It was a real possibility at the time that he wouldn't age as gracefully as he ended up doing.

I recall hearing that part of the reason they moved Allen was because the Sonics felt he would stunt Durant's growth as he would be taking the most shots and the offense run through him.

I was talking about why he was available for a low or fair price, not why he was available in the first place. Yes, the Sonics were rebuilding once they got Durant and keeping Ray didn't make much sense, nor would Ray have likely had much interest waiting for the Sonics to develop.

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2014, 08:15:46 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Brow and Beal maybe untouchable.

The one we should target is Kevin Love. It will be a hard sell, but he is attainable. Then we target Omer Asik for defense.

They are not the next KG and Ray, but with an in form Rondo, thats a core of a Playoff team, if not, very, very close.

We start from there. With Asik and Love we can control the boards. Love can drop 20 a night and Rondo will add maybe around 30 points from his scores and assists. We will get a rim protector in Asik.

And then its just a matter of drafting smart (if we stil have the picks) and signing those "veterans". But those three is a very solid core that is a piece or two away from competing for a ring.

They are much more plausible to acquire than Beal and Davis.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2014, 08:18:40 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Anthony Davis is the next KG....

and the next paul pierce is probably Jabari Parker.
Steph curry = ray allen

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2014, 08:40:13 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I think Love is the "Ray Allen" that we get for the 5th and 17th pick and Jeff Green and Sullinger. 

Then I think you hope Carmelo opts out and becomes the 3rd piece ala KG. 

Rondo
AB
Carmello
Love
KO

That lineup will win a championship.   

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2014, 09:13:37 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The one we should target is Kevin Love. It will be a hard sell, but he is attainable. Then we target Omer Asik for defense.

I doubt that Love is going to force his way to Boston Melo-style, so the only way he gets traded is if he makes clear that he declining his player option and leaving Minnesota through free agency.  The only way Boston gets him is if Ainge is willing to give the T-Wolves way more than what is justified for a one-year rental of Love out of the belief that he can convince Love to stay in Boston.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2014, 09:24:48 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Next players not counting the 100's of draft picks ainge has us set up for,
Kg.....love or Noah
Ray anyone who can space floor.  I love what Ray brought us overall but his defense dropped off after a few years.  I thought Gerald Henderson kid would be better on different team.
Side note if Chicago goes down to bullets can we get Noah and Heinrich as our combo guard off bench?

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2014, 09:25:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm considerably more interested in identifying the next Paul Pierce.
But I mean... that's basically what Rondo is.  We already have that slot filled...   All-star level talent without a superstar leader (KG) and an equal (Ray).
No, not really. Paul Pierce was a go-to guy who needed the right type of help.  Rondo is the right type of help who needs a go-to guy. See the difference?

Sure, when "the right type of help" is a player close to his level and another player that's significantly better than him. Give that to Rondo and we'll be golden.
Right, let's give him DeRozan/Joe Johnson and Kevin Love and see how he'll fare.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2014, 10:04:50 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I'm considerably more interested in identifying the next Paul Pierce.
But I mean... that's basically what Rondo is.  We already have that slot filled...   All-star level talent without a superstar leader (KG) and an equal (Ray).
No, not really. Paul Pierce was a go-to guy who needed the right type of help.  Rondo is the right type of help who needs a go-to guy. See the difference?

Sure, when "the right type of help" is a player close to his level and another player that's significantly better than him. Give that to Rondo and we'll be golden.
Right, let's give him DeRozan/Joe Johnson and Kevin Love and see how he'll fare.

As good as Pierce would have if not better.

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2014, 11:04:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Ray Allen was coming off an ankle injury that lowered his value somewhat and he was also 32 years old as people have mentioned. That's why he was available for what some may consider a low price. I tend to think regardless of the perceived weakness of that draft, it was a fair trade. It was a real possibility at the time that he wouldn't age as gracefully as he ended up doing.

I recall hearing that part of the reason they moved Allen was because the Sonics felt he would stunt Durant's growth as he would be taking the most shots and the offense run through him.

I'd guess they wanted him away from Durant because they'd seen the same ego/jealousy things that apparently came out here.

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2014, 11:30:12 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
I think Love is the "Ray Allen" that we get for the 5th and 17th pick and Jeff Green and Sullinger. 

Then I think you hope Carmelo opts out and becomes the 3rd piece ala KG. 

Rondo
AB
Carmello
Love
KO

That lineup will win a championship.   
trade AB with anyone and you get the all-nba no defense team.

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2014, 12:12:42 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I'd guess they wanted him away from Durant because they'd seen the same ego/jealousy things that apparently came out here.

I'm pretty sure it was because they wanted the team to be as bad as possible to facilitate a move out of Seattle.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2014, 12:21:55 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

I'm pretty sure it was because they wanted the team to be as bad as possible to facilitate a move out of Seattle.

He also had three years at around sixty million on his deal.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2014, 07:26:38 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

And to add some high draft picks to build around KD.

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2014, 07:33:26 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Anthony Davis is the next KG....

and the next paul pierce is probably Jabari Parker.
Steph curry = ray allen

I LOVE this. No way we'd have the currency to get all 3.

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2014, 08:52:21 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Thon? As talented as he is/will be - he will need some seasoning, just like KG/Joakim.

GF1819- I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I read this. Thon Maker is barely out of diapers.