Author Topic: Jeff Green for Omer Asik  (Read 9904 times)

Re: Jeff Green for Omer Asik
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 02:13:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
since rondo gives us 15 assist a game, what we need is a low post scoring center like brook lopez dwight howard pau gasol tim duncan dirk novitzki anderson varejao roy hibbert marcin gortat those kind if big is what we need

our pf can set a pick n roll offense or defense, besides, humphries and sullinger at PF are a good rebounders at there respective size

Man, if Rondo averaged 15 assists for a season, that would be something else.

I do recall that Rondo and Shaq was a truly deadly pairing, and in the 2012 playoffs when KG was at center and committed to playing inside, he and Rondo were really doing a lot of damage.  I think giving Rondo a huge post scorer to feed would be a good idea. 

Brook Lopez and DeMarcus Cousins would probably look phenomenal playing with Rondo.  You'd have to find a way to make that work defensively, though.

Neither of those guys is likely to be available anytime soon, anyway, so it's kind of academic at this point.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 02:17:16 PM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
not happening....here's why

#1-they are going to make a push for Carmelo this offseason.  So they aren't going to take on 9.2 million in JG's salary. 

#2- they have Terrence Jones who should continue to develop.

#3-Jeff Green isn't very good and Houston most likely knows this

If Boston wants Asik then their TPE and a pick would be a lot more attractive to Houston

and honestly....I can picture houston making a play at Rondo AND Melo this offseason. 

Imagine Rondo, Harden, Melo, Howard?   

they could deal Parsons, Asik, Lin and a pick or 2 to Boston for Rondo, Bogans (waived).  boom done.  then they should have enough to go after Melo

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 02:18:43 PM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
since rondo gives us 15 assist a game, what we need is a low post scoring center like brook lopez dwight howard pau gasol tim duncan dirk novitzki anderson varejao roy hibbert marcin gortat those kind if big is what we need

our pf can set a pick n roll offense or defense, besides, humphries and sullinger at PF are a good rebounders at there respective size

Man, if Rondo averaged 15 assists for a season, that would be something else.

I do recall that Rondo and Shaq was a truly deadly pairing, and in the 2012 playoffs when KG was at center and committed to playing inside, he and Rondo were really doing a lot of damage.  I think giving Rondo a huge post scorer to feed would be a good idea. 

Brook Lopez and DeMarcus Cousins would probably look phenomenal playing with Rondo.  You'd have to find a way to make that work defensively, though.

Neither of those guys is likely to be available anytime soon, anyway, so it's kind of academic at this point.

defensively? that is why you got sullinger and humphries at my PF, and again if got a 2nd unit center like for example mozgov? he is a great defender from the bench i'd take it (better than any 2nd unit center out there)

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 02:20:29 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
I dont want to see asik anywehere in a celtics uniform unless we have a bonified scorer. That would leave us with no post scoring, and literally nobody who could give us a 30 point night. If you havent noticed, you need that to win now a days. Rondo is at his best wehn running, if we have Asik and Sullinger as our big man there is no running.

Unless we get Melo or a bonified scoring SG/SF then i dont want to see asik in a celtics uniform,
Parker would be an exception but then we are relying on a rookie to be our main scoring option right off the bat, might be good might be bad. One thing I do like though is asik would be an expiring after this season, and a large expiring at that. Could be a great trade deadline trade.

Idk. Idk.

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 02:20:38 PM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown

#1-they are going to make a push for Carmelo this offseason.  So they aren't going to take on 9.2 million in JG's salary. 

If Boston wants Asik then their TPE and a pick would be a lot more attractive to Houston

and honestly....I can picture houston making a play at Rondo AND Melo this offseason. 

they could deal Parsons, Asik, Lin and a pick or 2 to Boston for Rondo, Bogans (waived).  boom done.  then they should have enough to go after Melo

Rondo, Harden, Melo, Howard?

the problem, is houston got a bad bench players, not enough to win a championship ring and trophy

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 02:25:18 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29

I was thinking this as well, but celtics would need to get major draft picks to take on asik lin and get rid of rondo lol.

We would need a third team to be involved and get thier 1st as well.

would be alot of cap space come 2015 though with 3 first round picks  ;D

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 02:31:11 PM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
I dont want to see asik anywehere in a celtics uniform unless we have a bonified scorer. That would leave us with no post scoring, and literally nobody who could give us a 30 point night. If you havent noticed, you need that to win now a days. Rondo is at his best wehn running, if we have Asik and Sullinger as our big man there is no running.

Unless we get Melo or a bonified scoring SG/SF then i dont want to see asik in a celtics uniform,
Parker would be an exception but then we are relying on a rookie to be our main scoring option right off the bat, might be good might be bad. One thing I do like though is asik would be an expiring after this season, and a large expiring at that. Could be a great trade deadline trade.

Idk. Idk.

somewhat agree
but my other post for me is a playoff team (even its a 1st round exit)
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=70594.0

but.... what we really need is a low post scorer

green for nash and gasol, maybe we can fix either of them contracts to much lesser contracts
or gasol and young for green add some fillers

this is also good for me sanders + middleton = green and picks
i dont know if sanders can give us scoring, but when healthy we know what he can do

a healthy varejao can give us 20+ points with rondo keep dishing some assist
cleveland will be like this irving waiters deng green hawes (not a bad line-up)

i don't see gortat leaving if they beat the pacers and bulls, with ariza as there SF

al horford? for jeff green? anytime baby

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 02:32:41 PM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown

I was thinking this as well, but celtics would need to get major draft picks to take on asik lin and get rid of rondo lol.

We would need a third team to be involved and get thier 1st as well.

would be alot of cap space come 2015 though with 3 first round picks  ;D

lin is not a good starting PG, i'd rather gamble on isiah canaan

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 03:57:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Houston seems on their way to being swept in the first round by Portland.  I think a lot of heads may roll, starting with McHale.  Management may be starting to wonder if a championship team can be built around Harden, who seems to come up very small in the play-offs.

Bottom line: probably a lot of chaos and uncertainty on their end.  Last December, they thought they were a Carmelo Anthony from being a championship team.  Today, how could they possibly think that?  Their lack of leadership on the court begs for a great PG. Could see them pushing hard for Rondo, and willing to give up some good chips in the process.

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
who seems to come up very small in the play-offs.
Has he?

He was awesome on OKC as their 6th man, he was really good last year over 6 games. Seems like he's just had 2 bad games this year.

I know everyone bags on him because he couldn't make a shot in the Finals, but he destroyed SAS to get them there. He was the one who had the ball down the stretch most of the 4 games in a row they won.

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2014, 04:34:58 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 717
if all these comments about Asik's one-dimensional game are true, then why was everyone so hot for him prior to the trade deadline ? I agree that we need a low-post scorer, but even more, we need a backline defensive anchor who can rebound.

the one thing I missed during Doc's tenure was the Celtics' traditional aggressive rebounding style (though the '08 team was strong on the boards in the playoffs). I always loved watching the combos of Cowens & Silas or Bird, Maxwell, McHale & Parish just pound teams into dust on the offensive boards.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2014, 06:50:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
we need a low-post scorer

I disagree, I may be rough on Sully but he is a darn fine low post scorer.  I just want him to do what he is good at low post and rebounding and not try to be the next Kyle Korver which he has a snowball chance in heck of becoming.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 06:55:46 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 12:01:24 PM »

Offline nzea

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
Houston is such a bad defensive team that I now question how expendable Asik is for them. And if Celts do this, who takes Green's place? This trade seems to rely on drafting Parker.

That's so wack that they're bad defensively. Harden is the only seriously bad defender, Beverly and Howard are elite, and Parsons and Jones are average/above average defenders. Asik is elite as well.

Maybe we can blame it on Lin.

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2014, 12:53:33 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Houston is such a bad defensive team that I now question how expendable Asik is for them. And if Celts do this, who takes Green's place? This trade seems to rely on drafting Parker.

That's so wack that they're bad defensively. Harden is the only seriously bad defender, Beverly and Howard are elite, and Parsons and Jones are average/above average defenders. Asik is elite as well.

Maybe we can blame it on Lin.

There problem is that their two best defenders, Howard and Asik, play the same position and rarely can be on the floor at the same time (because offensively, they both suck as PF).

While they are both elite defensive centers, Howard is the better offensive player and so he's going to get the lions' share of minutes.  Howard has always been a player who plays a lot of minutes.  He consistently plays 36-40 mpg.   That doesn't leave a lot of minutes for Asik to get on the floor.

Thus Asik is an extreme luxury to have on the bench.   His defensive talent goes to waste on the bench.

Morey really should have dealt him before the trading deadline to strengthen another part of their roster where they could get value and minutes from on the floor instead of sitting on the bench.

Even if he didn't get a starter back for Asik, if he had gotten just two significant upgrades for his bench, he could get 30-40 combined minutes of improved play out of a couple of players off the bench instead of just the 12-18 mpg he's typically getting from Asik.  The rest of their bench is pretty bad.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 01:09:26 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I wonder whether they'd rather have Green or our trade exception.