Author Topic: Former ref (Tim Donaghy) says NBA is pushing refs to favor the Nets  (Read 5500 times)

Re: Former ref (Tim Donaghy) says NBA is pushing refs to favor the Nets
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 10:35:17 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
That doesn't change the fact that there's literally no reason to trust Tim Donaghy in the slightest.

I don't see how anyone would trust him anyway.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 11:37:29 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
FORMER Referee Tim Donaghy needs to ST well he needs to keep quiet and STOP.

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 12:08:35 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That doesn't change the fact that there's literally no reason to trust Tim Donaghy in the slightest.

I don't see how anyone would trust him anyway.

Right. If we're following the money (and we should be), Donaghy has to be the primary beneficiary of the idea that the refs are biased -- aside from fans who believe their team got jobbed, of course.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 12:27:28 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
anybody watch the nets/bulls game 4 last year? bulls were up 2-1 in the series,  wasn't rooting for either team (if anything i was leaning towards the nets), but the refs were falling all over themselves trying to manufacture ways for the nets to win.
watched the game with a laker fan friend, and we were both in awe of how blatantly that game was fixed. not poorly officiated, but fixed.
free-trows were 45-29 nets, but that doesn't even begin to describe the multitude of ways that the refs were warping the game.
amazingly the bulls won - and i gained a ton of respect for them. nets played like absolute losers, without the refs they would have lost by 20 at least. it's a disgrace that the officials (and david stern) tried to steal that game from them.
as for donaghy, who knows whether or not donaghy is telling the truth in this particular situation. he certainly has financial motives for stirring up trouble. he's a criminal - but probably only one of many. his phone pal, the hideous scott foster, still has a job. also, in what might be just a huge coincidence, there are a bunch of other refs in the league from tim donaghy's high school in philly. and no, i'm not making that up, joey crawford, ed malloy and mike callahan. i first read about this back when the donaghy story broke, i think it was on yahoo or nbc news. but here's a link that covers it.
http://articles.philly.com/2007-07-25/news/25239921_1_nba-issues-nba-officials-nbra
if i recall ed rush (recently retired) also comes from the same neighborhood. maybe it's a coincidence, but it's also a little worrying. but what i do know is that my powers of observation and critical thinking leave me with the impression that this league is highly dishonest. i also have a friend of a friend who worked in the league office - extremely credible source IMO - who says stern was "crooked as hell." so when donaghy talks it's hard to not at least consider his claims.

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 12:47:05 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Lol that's not true. If NFL called the game the way the rules say then there would be no game to play. Do you see the things people get away with out there? NFL fans would beg to differ on calls being made or not. You think they don't miss as many calls, well one reason is they don't have to look at all the same amount of things NBA refs do, I already stated some of the things NBA refs have to see that NFL refs don't have to see at all. I don't know why people choose to compare refs/officials from totally different types of sports. Nothing is similar.

TP x 1000.  Basketball refs are much more scrutinized than any other sport.  Anyone that has played or officiated a football game can tell you that offensive holding calls are missed almost every game.  And placing the ball every down is an inexact science at best.  We trusting the eyesight of a middle-aged dentist who is moonlighting as a line judge to place the ball.  There'd be riots if the NBA called their games in such a slapshod manner.

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 12:49:55 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Also, whenever anyone uses free throw discrepancy as a reason a game was poorly called, I have to wonder if they have played basketball, or have watched much basketball.  Are they trying to imply that a game that was perfectly officiated would end with each team shooting the same amount of free throws?

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 01:58:08 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

TP.  He makes a living now off appearances where he says controversial things.

Consider the motivation.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2014, 02:04:28 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Also, whenever anyone uses free throw discrepancy as a reason a game was poorly called, I have to wonder if they have played basketball, or have watched much basketball.  Are they trying to imply that a game that was perfectly officiated would end with each team shooting the same amount of free throws?

In the Big Three era we were often on the wrong side of that and sure I had issues at times but I understood why.  We didn't have players that drove and drew fouls besides Pierce.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2014, 05:45:21 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Haha - I guess this one is for me.

But anyway - As a 44 Y/O retired Navy Man I have watched much basketball, and played for several commands while in the service. I've also watched how certain games over the years have been officiated.

If you are one to want to kiss Laker Fans behinds and give them too much credit for what you perceive to be a fairly-reffed game in Game 7 2010, then that is on you - your choice.

As for me? I will continue to think otherwise, just as a LOT of people are skeptical of the Kings/Lakers series.

Don't single a poster or group of posters out just because you think one way or the other. With this "Tanking" mess this Blog has seemed to go downhill a bit....IMO a loosening of the rules.

Even if you don't agree with me or others perhaps you should find a way to respectfully disagree - that is sometimes a lost art around here.