Author Topic: Former ref (Tim Donaghy) says NBA is pushing refs to favor the Nets  (Read 5499 times)

Re: Former ref (Tim Donaghy) says NBA is pushing refs to favor the Nets
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 07:16:52 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Whatchu talkin' bout Willis, lol....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17YKrYzxEf8

I do believe that there is something amiss as far as the officiating.

Just look at the refereeing in our BOS-LA series in Game 7 2010.....something's going on, Willis....

Look....LA won the series and all, but still......that free-throw discrepancy........

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 07:21:20 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Why does everyone keep giving this guy attention and take his claims as reputable?  When he was a cheat doing underhanded things?  Never understood it.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 07:30:13 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Why does everyone keep giving this guy attention and take his claims as reputable?  When he was a cheat doing underhanded things?  Never understood it.

when the league employs full time refs(something no other pro sports league does) they should be the best officials or at least be a lot better than what they are. instead they're the worst.

they're questionable calls give credence to everything this guy says.

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

Heard the same quote ten years ago about Jose Canseco ;D.

The NBA is primarily a business. Businesses tend to do what is best for profit. If they can nudge certain teams towards more favorable spots, or promote superstars that sell tickets, the only thing stopping them is either morality or a belief that fair-play and competitive legitimacy is better for business in the long run. I certainly don't believe they possess much of the former and the latter can certainly be bended at their discretion. It doesn't become a problem as long as they bend but never break.

The referees are employees of the NBA. Employees tend to do what they're told or they're fired. There's not really another NBA that these refs can go to if they are let go. It could be as simple as a league suggestion to keep an eye on this or that, or assigning refs with certain tendencies to specific games.

There are plenty of reasons not to believe in conspiracy theories regarding game-fixing/influencing but just remember that when you dismiss them out of hand, you could be doing exactly what the league offices count on fans to do so they can continue operating in the dark. The fact that the Donaghy thing happened and years later nobody brings it up is proof that the NBA can overcome even the most serious of scandals with little to no damage. So what's stopping them from swaying a few playoff games, if millions of dollars are potentially at stake?

Frankly, to not have any suspicion whatsoever strikes me as a little naive.

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 08:30:06 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Whatever stock you put in the accuracy of Donaghy's comments, it's gotta be tempered by having an almost total turnover in the league's upper administration.

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 08:40:20 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
How in the world was the McRoberts' foul on James with about 50 seconds left NOT an instantaneous Flagrant II???  How can they sleep at night having NOT even reviewed the replays???  That was a vicious foul with clear intent.  Josh was facing him and look right at him and led, NOT with the forearm, but with the elbow, and directed his elbow deep into Lebron's throat!!!!!!

One of the clearest Flagrant II's in the playoffs in many years.  Should have been an IMMEDIATE EJECTION, followed by a one or two game suspension!!

I cannot believe that I am standing up for King James:-))))))))))))))))

Smitty77

Nah, it was still mild IMHO.

He should have kicked him in the groin and tombstoned Lequeen
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 09:00:24 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
How in the world was the McRoberts' foul on James with about 50 seconds left NOT an instantaneous Flagrant II???  How can they sleep at night having NOT even reviewed the replays???  That was a vicious foul with clear intent.  Josh was facing him and look right at him and led, NOT with the forearm, but with the elbow, and directed his elbow deep into Lebron's throat!!!!!!

One of the clearest Flagrant II's in the playoffs in many years.  Should have been an IMMEDIATE EJECTION, followed by a one or two game suspension!!

I cannot believe that I am standing up for King James:-))))))))))))))))

Smitty77

Nah, it was still mild IMHO.

He should have kicked him in the groin and tombstoned Lequeen
I agree, it was mild.

The announcers wanted it to go to LeBron like their lives depended on it, but that was a playoff foul.  You CAN'T let them get the shot off, especially LeBron, especially at that moment.

Flagrants have to be unnecessary.  He jumped at LeBron with his arms outstretched, there was NO wind-up (which is what really counts).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 09:01:56 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Martha Stewart...

its a good thing

sippin

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 09:06:29 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

The NBA is primarily a business. Businesses tend to do what is best for profit. If they can nudge certain teams towards more favorable spots, or promote superstars that sell tickets, the only thing stopping them is either morality or a belief that fair-play and competitive legitimacy is better for business in the long run. I certainly don't believe they possess much of the former and the latter can certainly be bended at their discretion. It doesn't become a problem as long as they bend but never break.

The referees are employees of the NBA. Employees tend to do what they're told or they're fired. There's not really another NBA that these refs can go to if they are let go. It could be as simple as a league suggestion to keep an eye on this or that, or assigning refs with certain tendencies to specific games.

There are plenty of reasons not to believe in conspiracy theories regarding game-fixing/influencing but just remember that when you dismiss them out of hand, you could be doing exactly what the league offices count on fans to do so they can continue operating in the dark. The fact that the Donaghy thing happened and years later nobody brings it up is proof that the NBA can overcome even the most serious of scandals with little to no damage. So what's stopping them from swaying a few playoff games, if millions of dollars are potentially at stake?

great post, I gave you a TP.

whenever the NBA officiating has been brought into the spotlight it seems it quickly gets swept under the rug just as quickly as it was brought up. no surprise as the NBA is on the biggest sports network out there.

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 09:07:44 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

Agree and tp
If you see enough games unbiased it's pretty hard not to see some calls by refs change the flow of games.  I believe since the 80's that calls are given for stars, against rookies and help series in playoffs to help more popular teams.

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 09:51:23 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Over the past week or so I have come to the conclusion that We are too hard on NBA refs.

Think about what these guys have to see... 3 refs vs 10 of some of the best athletes in the world. We get fooled by slight of hand when ONE person is doing something, now we want these refs to see everything 10 guys are doing at all times? They have to watch feet for traveling, the way someone is dribbling for violations, what people are doing without the ball from their feet to hands, who touched who and was it legal touch, etc.

We have trouble seeing things when we see REPLAY that has been slowed and played for us MANY times (and a lot of times pointed out to us what's going on), now you want the naked eye to be perfect... okay, not perfect but it seems like We expect these people to see things that even people who are actually playing can't.

You can't even compare it to other sports (like football) because they don't have to see everything like an NBA ref does... they have to see all the small details. Have you ever been to an NBA and actually seen how fast the action is out there? It's not like anything anywhere!

Sure they miss some calls that are obvious and they also allow things by the most notable guys but that happens in all sports.

I'm not saying these guys can't/haven't changed games for personal reasons, I'm just saying, if you really think about what these people have to SEE WITH THE NAKED EYE, I think we all expect too much.

Just think about the game, think about all that's happening out there at one time. Think about it without the aide of television angles and replays. Think about how much you see or miss if you have ever been courtside. These HUGE and super quick guys... those bodies in the way of action, guys who have spent their lives perfecting ways to skirt around the refs line of sight, they can move every part of their bodies at speeds that's hard to see on film much less normal speed. Sure these guys are better than We are at recognizing things out there but think about how easily the eyes are fooled with simple things. They may be better than us at it but they are still humans with the same sight we have.

I don't care what you guys do but I'm starting to look at things differently when it comes to refs. I'm going to try to stop taking all the wrong calls so hard... unless it's a blatant call. I'm going to force myself to think of the game differently when it come to calls made or not. I feel dumb for even getting so mad at a ref when I have to see something that had to be SLOWED down and isolated from MANY different angles to even see it, how did I expect them to see it. It's all a case of wanting them to have super sight, sight better than video at times!

I'm not telling you what to do but I'm asking you to think about all the action going on on court at all times and think about giving these guys more of a break or do w/e.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think NFL refs blow as many calls and they too have replay.  NBA refs are allowed to ref even when they show a lack of skills or they are not good refs.   I think the basketball refs are decent.   To err is human, but erring for the stars is a way of life for the NBA refs.

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 10:07:33 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Over the past week or so I have come to the conclusion that We are too hard on NBA refs.

Think about what these guys have to see... 3 refs vs 10 of some of the best athletes in the world. We get fooled by slight of hand when ONE person is doing something, now we want these refs to see everything 10 guys are doing at all times? They have to watch feet for traveling, the way someone is dribbling for violations, what people are doing without the ball from their feet to hands, who touched who and was it legal touch, etc.

We have trouble seeing things when we see REPLAY that has been slowed and played for us MANY times (and a lot of times pointed out to us what's going on), now you want the naked eye to be perfect... okay, not perfect but it seems like We expect these people to see things that even people who are actually playing can't.

You can't even compare it to other sports (like football) because they don't have to see everything like an NBA ref does... they have to see all the small details. Have you ever been to an NBA and actually seen how fast the action is out there? It's not like anything anywhere!

Sure they miss some calls that are obvious and they also allow things by the most notable guys but that happens in all sports.

I'm not saying these guys can't/haven't changed games for personal reasons, I'm just saying, if you really think about what these people have to SEE WITH THE NAKED EYE, I think we all expect too much.

Just think about the game, think about all that's happening out there at one time. Think about it without the aide of television angles and replays. Think about how much you see or miss if you have ever been courtside. These HUGE and super quick guys... those bodies in the way of action, guys who have spent their lives perfecting ways to skirt around the refs line of sight, they can move every part of their bodies at speeds that's hard to see on film much less normal speed. Sure these guys are better than We are at recognizing things out there but think about how easily the eyes are fooled with simple things. They may be better than us at it but they are still humans with the same sight we have.

I don't care what you guys do but I'm starting to look at things differently when it comes to refs. I'm going to try to stop taking all the wrong calls so hard... unless it's a blatant call. I'm going to force myself to think of the game differently when it come to calls made or not. I feel dumb for even getting so mad at a ref when I have to see something that had to be SLOWED down and isolated from MANY different angles to even see it, how did I expect them to see it. It's all a case of wanting them to have super sight, sight better than video at times!

I'm not telling you what to do but I'm asking you to think about all the action going on on court at all times and think about giving these guys more of a break or do w/e.

I understand all of that, but we see them call the game differently for rookies (that aren't up and coming stars) and for star players ( we had some in our favor with PP and KG).

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 10:18:40 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That doesn't change the fact that there's literally no reason to trust Tim Donaghy in the slightest.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 10:34:26 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I don't think NFL refs blow as many calls and they too have replay.  NBA refs are allowed to ref even when they show a lack of skills or they are not good refs.   I think the basketball refs are decent.   To err is human, but erring for the stars is a way of life for the NBA refs.

Lol that's not true. If NFL called the game the way the rules say then there would be no game to play. Do you see the things people get away with out there? NFL fans would beg to differ on calls being made or not. You think they don't miss as many calls, well one reason is they don't have to look at all the same amount of things NBA refs do, I already stated some of the things NBA refs have to see that NFL refs don't have to see at all. I don't know why people choose to compare refs/officials from totally different types of sports. Nothing is similar.

I already said that. I understand they do that. It's not right but the NBA allows and probably tells them to ref that way. The only time I hear people have a problem with that is when the opponents benefit from it. People never speak about it when our team gets those same calls.

You don't think the "stars" in other sports get the leeway that the average guy doesn't? LOL

The only one of the big sports where I see everyone gets penalized the same as the worst player is in golf but they are mostly calling things on themselves.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)