Author Topic: Former ref (Tim Donaghy) says NBA is pushing refs to favor the Nets  (Read 5514 times)

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Per Celticslife : http://www.celticslife.com/2014/04/former-ref-tim-donaghy-says-nba-is.html

According to the New York Daily News, former NBA ref Tim Donaghy is supporting the sentiment that officiating was biased in favor of Brooklyn. Donaghy claims that the NBA is pressuring its officials to make calls favoring the Nets:

"(The Raptors) are not only going against the Brooklyn Nets but going against the league office," Donaghy said in a radio interview in Canada. "They have a very talented team and have to be that much better than the Brooklyn Nets.

"In this situation, Brooklyn would be put at an advantage. A Brooklyn-Miami matchup (in round 2) would bring great ratings and that's what this is all about for the NBA and the league offices — bringing in as many dollars as they can. … Some of the things that the league does and continues to do puts these teams at a disadvantage — like the Toronto Raptors — because moving forward they won't bring in the big dollars for the league. It's terrible for the fans (of) Toronto. They go and support that team but really they're going to have trouble moving on based on talent and what takes place on the floor when they're really going against the refs and the league, along with the Nets."

NBA spokesperson responds:
“Tim Donaghy is a convicted felon looking for any opportunity for people to listen to his baseless allegations. For Mr. Donaghy to continually try to challenge his former colleagues’ ethics is distasteful and says more about his own integrity than it could ever say about our referees, who are the best and most scrutinized game officials in the world.”
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:54:48 AM by Fafnir »

Re: Former ref (Tim Donaghy) says NBA is pushing refs to favor the Nets
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:55:19 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Added Donaghy's name to the headline, story is a lot less interesting when you know which "former ref" it is.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:00:49 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
I'd be fine with it if the NBA was favoring the Nets over the Heat, considering the refs have favored those clowns in Miami for the past 3 years.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:02:12 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Its bothers me agree because Im not a conspiracy guy but it makes you wonder. Watching some of the terrible calls in the Heat Bobcats game last night I wonder about these refs.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:17:47 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Its bothers me agree because Im not a conspiracy guy but it makes you wonder. Watching some of the terrible calls in the Heat Bobcats game last night I wonder about these refs.

I'm not a conspiracy person either, but I do think that the refs have different sets of officiating (rookie calls, super star calls`etc)

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 09:20:38 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
well, imho, the Nets have better talent than the Raps. Even the "Old Dinosaurs" in Pierce and KG. But Deron, Joe Johnson, Plumlee (has really impressed me this season) are all very good players. If Brook Lopez didn't go down with that injury, I think this conversation won't even exist

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 05:59:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Tim Donaghy reported by the New York Daily News might be the dictionary definition of "unreliable source"
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 06:12:26 PM »

Online letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
So what happens if the Raps win the series now?  Do we continue to ignore this guy?

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 06:15:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Radio interview in Canada, huh?

Hmmm...you think he was telling people out there what they wanted to hear? 

Donaghy's a joke.  He does all this conspiracy nonsense stuff for one person; himself. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 06:19:41 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I believe some of what donaghy says. that kings/ lakers game yrs ago was a joke. and so aren't these refs.

but in this situation I don't believe him. for 1 he's not in the league any more, 2 the nets were in foul trouble for most of game 2. 

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 06:39:06 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
The officiating is the worst part of the game - as is the "star" system. LeBron should be called for fouls the same way everyone else is.

But it's a star league. Frankly - the game has a lot more in common with professional wrestling than it does with college basketball.

Hype for hype's sake. ...I believe Donaghy, as I have seen  too many blatant non-calls in favor of stars.

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 06:45:40 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Which ways were the calls slanted in your opinion in the Cats/Heat game??

Smitty77

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 06:47:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I chuckled after reading Donaghy's comments. Obviously he is just telling the people what they want to hear in Canada.

But I really laughed out loud at this part of the official NBA reply:

NBA spokesperson responds:
says more about his own integrity than it could ever say about our referees, who are the best and most scrutinized game officials in the world.

Sorry, NBA, you do not have the best officials in the world. Your refereeing is a joke.

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 06:49:35 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
How in the world was the McRoberts' foul on James with about 50 seconds left NOT an instantaneous Flagrant II???  How can they sleep at night having NOT even reviewed the replays???  That was a vicious foul with clear intent.  Josh was facing him and look right at him and led, NOT with the forearm, but with the elbow, and directed his elbow deep into Lebron's throat!!!!!!

One of the clearest Flagrant II's in the playoffs in many years.  Should have been an IMMEDIATE EJECTION, followed by a one or two game suspension!!

I cannot believe that I am standing up for King James:-))))))))))))))))

Smitty77

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 07:11:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Where there is smoke ,there is fire .....wouldn't surprise me in the least.

While this story maybe total bunk....."given the source.

I ve seen stranger things turn out to be true

And I would never doubt it hasn't happened somewhere in the past.

Huge markets , millions at stake .....playoffs and payoffs could certainly go hand in hand.