Author Topic: A Trade Down I Would Consider  (Read 8650 times)

A Trade Down I Would Consider
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:29:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Premise:
Orlando takes Joel Embiid with their top pick, and the Celtics are in a position to draft Exum or Smart.

Orlando makes an offer for the Celtics' two first round picks (#5 and #17):

Nikola Vucevic
Arron Afflalo
Denver 2014 1st (#12)

The resulting Celtics team would not be a contender, but it might be good enough to convince Rondo to stick around, and there'd still be plenty of flexibility for future moves.

Neither Afflalo nor Vucevic are stars, but they are solid sub-stars.  Vucevic is young, and he's one of the best rebounders in the NBA.  Still, I can't help feeling that this would be aiming for the middle to some extent.  Nevertheless, I'd consider it.

For Orlando, they get to draft a young point guard with star potential to put next to Oladipo, and they clear room for Embiid as the long term starting center.

I'm not really a fan of the idea of trading out of the top 10 when the team really desperately needs young star talent, but this is the sort of offer that would make me pause to consider.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: A Trade Down I Would Consider
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 10:37:40 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
What are the Celtics trading out to match salaries?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 10:41:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Pierce trade exception covers both
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 10:47:26 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Pierce trade exception covers both

Would have to take place after the draft due to the luxury tax threshold constraint. Not impossible to pull off.

I think Orlando says no. I feel like they'd rather just use their second 1st rounder to either take Ennis, or try to figure out a way to move up to grab Smart, or find some other way to get Oladipo a mentor/replacement at PG.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:53:41 PM by Lucky17 »

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 10:56:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Premise:
Orlando takes Joel Embiid with their top pick, and the Celtics are in a position to draft Exum or Smart.

Orlando makes an offer for the Celtics' two first round picks (#5 and #17):

Nikola Vucevic
Arron Afflalo
Denver 2014 1st (#12)

The resulting Celtics team would not be a contender, but it might be good enough to convince Rondo to stick around, and there'd still be plenty of flexibility for future moves.

Neither Afflalo nor Vucevic are stars, but they are solid sub-stars.  Vucevic is young, and he's one of the best rebounders in the NBA.  Still, I can't help feeling that this would be aiming for the middle to some extent.  Nevertheless, I'd consider it.

For Orlando, they get to draft a young point guard with star potential to put next to Oladipo, and they clear room for Embiid as the long term starting center.

I'm not really a fan of the idea of trading out of the top 10 when the team really desperately needs young star talent, but this is the sort of offer that would make me pause to consider.

Sometimes I think we should do something like get Aflalo (and a center), other times I think that too much is made of a few hot months in a fairly long career and he won't be what we expect. Shooting guards aren't that impressive, especially those who are available, in part because some of the better ones masquerade as point guards.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 12:14:34 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think Afflalo is overrated in this forum and trading for him would be buying high on a player who likely had a career year this season on a bad team.

Vucevic is not the rim protector that Ainge is reportedly looking for.  He does have the ability to hit a jump shot, so he fits into my belief that you usually need a big man to be either a rim protector or a floor spreader.

I think they end up being the players you trade picks for if you want to put yourself on the dreaded treadmill of mediocrity.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 12:21:18 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I think Afflalo is overrated in this forum and trading for him would be buying high on a player who likely had a career year this season on a bad team.

Afflalo has increased his scoring every year of his seven year career. Every year, he's improved. I don't know how many other players in the league can say that.

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 12:47:38 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Afflalo has increased his scoring every year of his seven year career. Every year, he's improved. I don't know how many other players in the league can say that.

Well, then, go out and get him because he's on a pace to score 40ppg by the time he is 35.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 01:38:27 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I appreciate the effort, Pho, but I am not a fan of this proposal.  Nik Vucevic, while he puts up some good numbers, doesn't do much for me.  To my knowledge, he's not much of a rim protector or defender in general. 

The point of getting a center is to get somebody who can anchor the defense.  I don't think Vucevic is that guy. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 06:03:16 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You would consider, hopefully DA won't.   We don't need to get older with AA, we are not one player away.   There is zero reason they would do this too, IMO.

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 07:10:24 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I appreciate the effort, Pho, but I am not a fan of this proposal.  Nik Vucevic, while he puts up some good numbers, doesn't do much for me.  To my knowledge, he's not much of a rim protector or defender in general. 

The point of getting a center is to get somebody who can anchor the defense.  I don't think Vucevic is that guy.

Agree with all this.    He is nice back up center .   I think he has pretty much reached his limit.  I think the game in the paint is tuffer than he is.   

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 07:18:41 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

He was part of a very good defensive team in Philadelphia.  I don't think it's fair to say at his point that he can't be a defensive anchor.  He's still pretty young.  He's not a stupendous shot blocker, but neither are Marc Gasoline or Joakim Noah.  He has been at least a decent defender every season so far in his career -- despite being on an awful Orlando team the last two years.

I don't think you're gonna do much better than Vucevic by trading down from #5, at least as far as young big men go.

If you want to get a player with real size and productivity at the center spot without giving up a kings ransom in assets or spending huge in free agency, I think it'd be hard to do better.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:27:24 AM by PhoSita »
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 07:23:29 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Agree with all this.    He is nice back up center .   I think he has pretty much reached his limit.  I think the game in the paint is tuffer than he is.

How many backup centers in the NBA are capable of averaging 13.5 pts and 11.5 reb over two full seasons of starting?  How many starters, in fact? At age 23?  Also, how is a player who dominates the boards not tough in the paint?

I'm sensing a lack of real familiarity with this player.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 07:50:44 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
I would do this in a minute but doubt Orlando would do this
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 08:34:25 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
The trade makes sense if:

1) You're trying to win now, with Rondo.
2) Both Afflalo and Vucevic will stay long term at reasonable money.
3) You're targeting someone at 12 that won't be there at 17.

I don't know enough about Vucevic to judge his game but he puts up good numbers and is young. If he has the potential to be a defensive star then it'd be worth it. Like, if you thought he could become a Marc Gasol/Hibbert-level of player as opposed to a softer type who can rebound and score a bit but will never be a good defensive player.

Otherwise, it's a fair deal but definitely more of a sideways move. My hope is that if they do make a move with their first pick this year, it'd be in a package for a star. Not sure if Vucevic has that potential, though he looks solid at least.