Author Topic: The minimum Danny is likely to do over the summer  (Read 7471 times)

Re: The minimal Danny is likely to do over the summer
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 12:04:34 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Re-sign Avery to 7mm per for 3 years??  No way.  See what kind of offer he receives before deciding whether he is worth it.  I can't imagine any team would offer that much for an undersized 2 guard.  I like him, but not that much.

If you look at a guy like Bass, is AB worth more than him?  The answer is yes.
Is AB worth more than Green?? Well that can be argued. Probably close to or just below
So thats why 7 million imo makes sense. 

You can also compare AB to Courtney Lee and argue AB is worth more.
No one will pay a short SG 7m who can only chuck long 2s and cut
not to mention his defense isn't elite anymore
5m for potential is reasonable, otherwise he can go

His defense is elite, a down year but he's one of the best perimeter defenders in the league.

best perimeter defenders, no, not with the number of times he gets burned by mediocre guards. Best on the ball defender maybe.

Who are these mediocre guards that are burning him?
Remember Felton?

Felton was average in that series. He didn't have that much of an impact.

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 01:23:01 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
$5M, maybe $6M per year is the most I give AB. Undersized SGs are a dime a dozen. I think its likely he'll be playing for the QO next season.

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 02:36:23 AM »

Offline SuperCeltic92

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 0
Sign - Emeka Okafor, Lance Stephenson
Re-Sign - Avery Bradley
Draft - Shabaaz Napier, Patric Young, Walter Tavares

PG - Rajon Rondo, Shabaaz Napier
SG - Lance Stephenson, Avery Bradley, Keith Bogans
SF - Jeff Green, Gerald Wallace
PF - Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk, Brandon Bass
C - Emeka Okafor, Patric Young

I think Avery Bradley won't cost too much. Emeka Okafor might come at a hefty price tag though. Depends on what his market is like. I think we should a hard run for Lance Stephenson this off-season. In the draft, I'm hoping we trade back and select Napier to develop and contribute behind Rondo.

Would anybody be opposed to bringing back The Truth if he took the minimum? I know I wouldn't.

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 02:43:43 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Re-sign Avery to 7mm per for 3 years??  No way.  See what kind of offer he receives before deciding whether he is worth it.  I can't imagine any team would offer that much for an undersized 2 guard.  I like him, but not that much.

If you look at a guy like Bass, is AB worth more than him?  The answer is yes.
Is AB worth more than Green?? Well that can be argued. Probably close to or just below
So thats why 7 million imo makes sense. 

You can also compare AB to Courtney Lee and argue AB is worth more.
No one will pay a short SG 7m who can only chuck long 2s and cut
not to mention his defense isn't elite anymore
5m for potential is reasonable, otherwise he can go

His defense is elite, a down year but he's one of the best perimeter point guard defenders in the league.

You were missing one key phrase there.

12 million over 3 years for AB.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 06:21:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I really do not like Asik is a rim protector.   A rim protector blocks shots,  we already have a guy that can push them out in Sully.

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 07:54:37 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I really do not like Asik is a rim protector.   A rim protector blocks shots

This is one of the biggest, most common misconceptions that casual fans have.

How many shots a game does Marc Gasol or Joakim Noah block?
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 07:58:25 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
If no deal for Asik happens, I could see Danny doing a sign and trade with Phoenix for Emeka Okafor on a cheap one or two year contract.   

Since sign-and-trade contracts must be at least three years, I don't see that happening.  Of course, only the first year has to be guaranteed, but are you expecting some other free agent signing that would preclude the use of the MLE to sign someone like Okafor?

I'm thinking that Okafor might require closer to 6 or 7 million to sign with a crappy team like the Celtics.  That's not a problem as long as only one year is guaranteed.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 08:02:45 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
To answer the OP literally, the bare minimum of possible activity is draft the best players on the board at lottery and no 17, re-sign the expirings, cut the unguaranteeds, then call it and off season.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 08:14:47 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
To answer the OP literally, the bare minimum of possible activity is draft the best players on the board at lottery and no 17, re-sign the expirings, cut the unguaranteeds, then call it and off season.

that's a bare minimum that will tick off season ticket holders after all the fireworks talk. Imagine Danny says the word fireworks the season after? He will be ridiculed

He should be able to get a decent rim protector even if that means signing Stiemnsma on a 2 year deal. 

Last year i was crossing my fingers that Danny bought a 2nd pick and grabbed Jeff Withey.  He should of done it
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:33:12 AM by triboy16f »

Re: The minimum Danny is likely to do over the summer
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 09:31:39 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

that's a bare minimum that will tick off season ticket holders after all the fireworks talk. Imagine Danny says the word fireworks the season after? He will be ridiculed
anyone who actually believes fireworks are going to happen and then are shocked when they don't deserve their disappointment.  Team needs to do what's best to improve and anyone that has an interest in that should know that based on what's available in terms of trades and free agency might mean that just making our picks at #5 and #17 is the best option.

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 09:36:15 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Sign - Emeka Okafor, Lance Stephenson
Re-Sign - Avery Bradley
Draft - Shabaaz Napier, Patric Young, Walter Tavares

PG - Rajon Rondo, Shabaaz Napier
SG - Lance Stephenson, Avery Bradley, Keith Bogans
SF - Jeff Green, Gerald Wallace
PF - Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk, Brandon Bass
C - Emeka Okafor, Patric Young

I think Avery Bradley won't cost too much. Emeka Okafor might come at a hefty price tag though. Depends on what his market is like. I think we should a hard run for Lance Stephenson this off-season. In the draft, I'm hoping we trade back and select Napier to develop and contribute behind Rondo.

Would anybody be opposed to bringing back The Truth if he took the minimum? I know I wouldn't.
no $ to sign Stephenson.  why would this even be a consideration?

Bogans will be cut if he can't be traded.  Johnson and Babb will be back before Bogans sees the lockerroom again.

your draft selections are horrid.  you're proposing to trade down from the #5 and #17 slots to get 3 guys that would be available in the second round because you like Napier who's hot mostly because of his tournament play? 

only move that's semi-realistic is Okafor but that's only if a contender that needs a big man doesn't take a flyer on him due to health concerns.  If he's got anything left in the tank for next year a contender will snap him up for MLE money.

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 09:46:01 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
One way or another for next season (so he doesn't screw with the ticket holders) i predict at minimal he is going to get a rim protector  (at the worse using the 17th pick as trade bait) unless someone pays up for Green and/or Rondo (but not actively shopping them around).  Kevin Love trade is not happening bc you will overpay for a guy that will be a FA in 2015, is a mediocre defender plus guys like Sullinger/KO show promise to take the leap at the PF position . Danny will attempt to get Anthony into the team but won't offer max and Anthony wants to sign with a contender.  So there is like a 5 percent chance Anthony signs. 

At minimal what to expect for next season imo:

- Acquire a rim protector - Asik (He wants to start before becoming a FA in 2015-2016) or Mozgov  (Mcgee will be back to start next season).  No FAs worth overpaying for
- Pick the BPA(s) at the draft - 6th man off the bench/assist with the rebuild/insurance
- Resign AB to a 3 year 7 million per year deal
- Give this current unit (with Rondo, Green, AB as the leaders) one more chance before the real fireworks go off by the 2015 trade deadline (Danny actively shopping)

2014-2015 lineup

Asik/Mozgov
Sullinger/KO
Green
AB
Rondo

6th man
draft picks
I think your minimum is the max.  the only things on that list I see happening 'at a minimum' are taking the BPAs available when the picks are made and running basically the same roster back for next season.  I don't expect the 'fireworks' to happen any sooner than after the 2015 draft and more likely after the 2016 draft.  By that point, Bass, Green and Wallace are all off the books and the real cap flexibility is available to make deals and get a top FA or 2 to go with Rondo (expecting him to re-sign) and what will hopefully be our solid crop of young players (re-signed AB to about $4mill per, KO, Sully, #5 this year, #17 this year, C's lotto pick next year, Clip's pick from next year, C's 2016 possibly lotto pick and the Nets probable 2016 lotto pick)

Asik is a possibility but don't want to overpay for him.  As others have pointed out in several other threads, if Houston wants to make a run at Melo and dump Asik and Lin's salaries, I'd ship them our expiring (unguaranteed) deals for them in addition to a 1st from Houston (or more) for our efforts.  let Lin expire after this coming season and re-sign Asik to something reasonable if he plays well (probably $10 mill per if he can defend and rebound and continues to suck on O).

Mozgov isn't very likely.  if anything, I think Denver would prefer to ship out Mcgee since he's not worth his contract.

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 10:05:10 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Yeah this statement is weird to me. A rim protector protects the rim by being a presence in the middle changing shots and clogging paths to the rim. KG and Perk were great rim protectors for us and they never had crazy block stats.

I think Asik will be in Green next year. I still think we will over pay for a player like Love since he might be the only big fish available.

Also, like I've stated in previous threads, if we pay Bradley around 7 mil a year I will be rooting for a different team next season. That would be a terrible deal.

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 10:07:29 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Yeah this statement is weird to me. A rim protector protects the rim by being a presence in the middle changing shots and clogging paths to the rim. KG and Perk were great rim protectors for us and they never had crazy block stats.

I think Asik will be in Green next year. I still think we will over pay for a player like Love since he might be the only big fish available.

I don't think you can really overpay for an MVP-candidate player like Kevin Love, even if he is basically the NBA version of David Ortiz (i.e. he's a designated hitter).
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 10:11:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
One way or another for next season (so he doesn't screw with the ticket holders) i predict at minimal he is going to get a rim protector  (at the worse using the 17th pick as trade bait) unless someone pays up for Green and/or Rondo (but not actively shopping them around).  Kevin Love trade is not happening bc you will overpay for a guy that will be a FA in 2015, is a mediocre defender plus guys like Sullinger/KO show promise to take the leap at the PF position . Danny will attempt to get Anthony into the team but won't offer max and Anthony wants to sign with a contender.  So there is like a 5 percent chance Anthony signs. 

At minimal what to expect for next season imo:

- Acquire a rim protector - Asik (He wants to start before becoming a FA in 2015-2016) or Mozgov  (Mcgee will be back to start next season).  No FAs worth overpaying for
- Pick the BPA(s) at the draft - 6th man off the bench/assist with the rebuild/insurance
- Resign AB to a 3 year 7 million per year deal
- Give this current unit (with Rondo, Green, AB as the leaders) one more chance before the real fireworks go off by the 2015 trade deadline (Danny actively shopping)

2014-2015 lineup

Asik/Mozgov
Sullinger/KO
Green
AB
Rondo

6th man
draft picks
I think your minimum is the max.  the only things on that list I see happening 'at a minimum' are taking the BPAs available when the picks are made and running basically the same roster back for next season.  I don't expect the 'fireworks' to happen any sooner than after the 2015 draft and more likely after the 2016 draft.  By that point, Bass, Green and Wallace are all off the books and the real cap flexibility is available to make deals and get a top FA or 2 to go with Rondo (expecting him to re-sign) and what will hopefully be our solid crop of young players (re-signed AB to about $4mill per, KO, Sully, #5 this year, #17 this year, C's lotto pick next year, Clip's pick from next year, C's 2016 possibly lotto pick and the Nets probable 2016 lotto pick)

Asik is a possibility but don't want to overpay for him.  As others have pointed out in several other threads, if Houston wants to make a run at Melo and dump Asik and Lin's salaries, I'd ship them our expiring (unguaranteed) deals for them in addition to a 1st from Houston (or more) for our efforts.  let Lin expire after this coming season and re-sign Asik to something reasonable if he plays well (probably $10 mill per if he can defend and rebound and continues to suck on O).

Mozgov isn't very likely.  if anything, I think Denver would prefer to ship out Mcgee since he's not worth his contract.

I wouldnf mind mcgee either but den wont give him up imo. Mozgov didnt help them as a starter this season and they rather trade him for the right price.