Author Topic: The minimum Danny is likely to do over the summer  (Read 7474 times)

The minimum Danny is likely to do over the summer
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:23:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
One way or another for next season (so he doesn't screw with the ticket holders) i predict at minimal he is going to get a rim protector  (at the worse using the 17th pick as trade bait) unless someone pays up for Green and/or Rondo (but not actively shopping them around).  Kevin Love trade is not happening bc you will overpay for a guy that will be a FA in 2015, is a mediocre defender plus guys like Sullinger/KO show promise to take the leap at the PF position . Danny will attempt to get Anthony into the team but won't offer max and Anthony wants to sign with a contender.  So there is like a 5 percent chance Anthony signs. 

At minimal what to expect for next season imo:

- Acquire a rim protector - Asik (He wants to start before becoming a FA in 2015-2016) or Mozgov  (Mcgee will be back to start next season).  No FAs worth overpaying for
- Pick the BPA(s) at the draft - 6th man off the bench/assist with the rebuild/insurance
- Resign AB to a 3 year 7 million per year deal
- Give this current unit (with Rondo, Green, AB as the leaders) one more chance before the real fireworks go off by the 2015 trade deadline (Danny actively shopping)

2014-2015 lineup

Asik/Mozgov
Sullinger/KO
Green
AB
Rondo

6th man
draft picks

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:33:43 AM by Jeff »

Re: The minimal Danny is likely to do over the summer
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 10:33:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Re-sign Avery to 7mm per for 3 years??  No way.  See what kind of offer he receives before deciding whether he is worth it.  I can't imagine any team would offer that much for an undersized 2 guard.  I like him, but not that much.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 10:46:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Re-sign Avery to 7mm per for 3 years??  No way.  See what kind of offer he receives before deciding whether he is worth it.  I can't imagine any team would offer that much for an undersized 2 guard.  I like him, but not that much.

If you look at a guy like Bass, is AB worth more than him?  The answer is yes.
Is AB worth more than Green?? Well that can be argued. Probably close to or just below
So thats why 7 million imo makes sense. 

You can also compare AB to Courtney Lee and argue AB is worth more.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 10:47:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If no deal for Asik happens, I could see Danny doing a sign and trade with Phoenix for Emeka Okafor on a cheap one or two year contract.   

Alternatively, I could see Danny bringing on a cheap young option like Lavoy Allen or Kyle O'Quinn to be a passable near term solution at center.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 10:56:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If no deal for Asik happens, I could see Danny doing a sign and trade with Phoenix for Emeka Okafor on a cheap one or two year contract.   

Alternatively, I could see Danny bringing on a cheap young option like Lavoy Allen or Kyle O'Quinn to be a passable near term solution at center.

I agree. Or how about Henry "Celtics Killa" Sims. But man those would be last resort kind of pickups. We would really need to luck out with Embiid then

Faverani is also considered a last resort. He should know now what it takes to get playing time.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 11:08:38 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Is AB worth more than Green?? Well that can be argued. Probably close to or just below

No one will pay a short SG 7m who can only chuck long 2s and cut
not to mention his defense isn't elite anymore
5m for potential is reasonable, otherwise he can go

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 11:44:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I can see another team offering that.  Any team with a bit of pressure to make the playoffs next season that had hopes of signing Lance Stephenson and was disappointed will probably be thinking about using some of that cap space to go after the next best available SG, and I'd put Bradley above Evan Turner or Nick Young.  I suppose Thabo Sefolosha is the other option.

I think Ainge matches $7m/year for three years, even if the Celtics end up drafting a SG, unless he has another transaction lined up that requires the cap space.  He might be more tentative about four years.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:48:12 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

His defense is elite, a down year but he's one of the best perimeter defenders in the league.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 11:49:15 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

His defense is elite, a down year but he's one of the best perimeter defenders in the league.

best perimeter defenders, no, not with the number of times he gets burned by mediocre guards. Best on the ball defender maybe.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 11:51:16 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Well, it's good for Bradley then that shot 39.5% on threes this season and seems to be expanding his range beyond just the corners.  I wouldn't be shocked to see him improve his three-point shooting from the wings next season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 11:52:30 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

best perimeter defenders, no, not with the number of times he gets burned by mediocre guards. Best on the ball defender maybe.

Who are these mediocre guards that are burning him?

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 11:52:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Are you relying on anecdotal evidence which is unreliable for conveying long-term patterns or can you provide quantifiable data about how often different guards in the league get burned by mediocre guards?

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 11:55:13 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Since sign-and-trade contracts must be at least three years, I don't see that happening.  Of course, only the first year has to be guaranteed, but are you expecting some other free agent signing that would preclude the use of the MLE to sign someone like Okafor?

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 11:57:19 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

Who are these mediocre guards that are burning him?
Remember Felton?

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 11:59:55 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

Well, it's good for Bradley then that shot 39.5% on threes this season and seems to be expanding his range beyond just the corners.  I wouldn't be shocked to see him improve his three-point shooting from the wings next season.
Yes he seemed to find his range back a bit
if he keep on training i can see that happen, but not now