Author Topic: If we get stuck with 5th pick, would you trade it to PHX for its own and DC's?  (Read 4535 times)

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Phoenix has three picks in this year's draft. Would you trade down if we got the fifth pick so that we could have three picks? That would be #5, for #s 14 and 18. Per draft express that would essentially mean trading Exum for Stauskas, Kyle Anderson and Clint Capella (or anyone below).

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I've been thinking they'd do it...only if they're getting Kevin Love.

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
No? That's bad value for the 5th pick. Better off keeping the pick.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I wouldn't.

I wouldn't be willing to drop lower than 9th in the draft if I'm trading down.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
No.  Top talent wins, and that's less likely to be there at 14th.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
No.  Top talent wins, and that's less likely to be there at 14th.

What Roy said.  Quality over quantity is key in basketball.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
14, 18 and their 2015 unprotected 1st and I would think about it, though probably decline.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Typical value for packaging #14 plus #18 is probably in the neighborhood of getting #11 or #12, so this would be giving away a ton of value.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This is a deep draft, I would seriously consider it.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Not a chance.  Amazing how down people have gotten on that 5 to 8 range. 

This may be a deep draft, but it's still the difference between getting a potential All Star and getting a couple more decent role players with a limited ceiling (ie the sort of prospects we already have).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Not a chance.  Amazing how down people have gotten on that 5 to 8 range. 

This may be a deep draft, but it's still the difference between getting a potential All Star and getting a couple more decent role players with a limited ceiling (ie the sort of prospects we already have).

Other than the top three, I don't see anyone else being a potential all star.

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Hilarious.  Before the season started, a lot of people actually thought there were upwards of seven or eight franchise players in this draft.  Now, that we are guaranteed to get someone in that range, it's "stuck with the 5th pick."

Gotta love it.  There's always a cloud in the silver lining. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I take Randle fifth and feel grateful.

But I guess I'd be happy with Vonleh or Gordon.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Hilarious.  Before the season started, a lot of people actually thought there were upwards of seven or eight franchise players in this draft.  Now, that we are guaranteed to get someone in that range, it's "stuck with the 5th pick."

Classic case of overhype on both ends -- positive, then negative. 

People won't be satisfied unless we get a clear cut star who can come in and immediately revive the franchise.  Unfortunately, there're rarely more than one or two players like that, even in a strong draft. 

Selecting in the 5 to 8 range, the Celtics will probably get a player who is flawed, and needs some time to develop.  That player still may very well turn into a star, or close to it.  That's why it's very unlikely that trading the pick will make very much sense.  Patience is the name of the game here.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102

Classic case of overhype on both ends -- positive, then negative. 

People won't be satisfied unless we get a clear cut star who can come in and immediately revive the franchise.  Unfortunately, there're rarely more than one or two players like that, even in a strong draft. 

Selecting in the 5 to 8 range, the Celtics will probably get a player who is flawed, and needs some time to develop.  That player still may very well turn into a star, or close to it.  That's why it's very unlikely that trading the pick will make very much sense.  Patience is the name of the game here.

Todd Day was selected 8th by the Bucks in 1992.

But Garnett, Ray Allen, Vince Carter, Kevin Love, Scottie Pippen, Mitch Richmond, Steve Smith, Charles Barkley and Dwayne Wade were all 5th picks. 

...I see what you guys are saying.