Author Topic: Shabazz Napier would love to be a Celtic  (Read 13627 times)

Re: Shabazz Napier?
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2014, 09:52:34 AM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Big UConn and Celtics fan here, even I'm iffy about taking Bazz at 17. Wouldn't be surprised if Danny takes him though considering he loves instant offense players (ala Jordan Crawford, Jerryd Bayless). Now if Rondo is part of this team future then I dont see this happening. But who knows? Maybe Rondo gets traded in some package where we get a first and a good player in return, then maybe you use that new first to grab him as your PG. He may be sort of undersized but I dont believe that will ever stop him, this kid's heart is through the roof.

But also Bleacher Report released their newest mock and has us picking up Bazz at 17 FYI
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2038030-2014-nba-mock-draft-projecting-how-round-1-will-unfold

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2014, 10:42:49 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
The kid got a little local love recently with UCONN's trip to Fenway and throwing out the first pitch. I'm curious. What do people think of him? Some people see him as a backup. Others as a starter. Honestly, I see both arguments but I think he could be a starter. He's a little small right now but I think like most college kids his body is still developing and he could add another 5-10lbs. People said Parker was small. He's clearly a lead guard in mindset. Not afraid to take the big shot. And I think he'll actually be a better pro than collegiate with NBA offense being so much more pick n roll oriented. I'd love to grab him with our 2nd pick. Especially in light of the uncertainty regarding Rajon's future around here.

Undersized, defense overrated, takes crazy and wild shots that most people shouldn't make. Went on a serious miracle run in which his last game before winning the championship was ridiculous... Half the shots he was taking, I would have benched if I was the coach.

Short wingspan, and won't be able to guard..

You're basically paying for a Isaiah Thomas who cannot finish inside, but has a better jumper. I think everyone also thinks his passing is excellent. Its slightly above average, nothing about his passing to me is impressive or 'wows,' me.

I would love to have him as a back up, but honestly I would rather use our pick from Hawks/Nets to move up with some cash considerations/2nd pick for Staukas..

I think Staukas will be a excellent player in the NBA.

Also I don't get how people can ever compare him to Parker... Someone did, and I told him Parker is a once in a generation type of talent that you can find... Parker has his patented unstoppable floaters, and one of the best pick and roll mid range shots that is wet.
Parker is also a FAR better finisher, and excels in traffic, whereas Napier seems like he would struggle.

Well the comparison I'm making with Parker may be different to the one you saw before. I'm not talking about Parker now. I'm talking about the Parker that came into the league. When we had those 3 draft picks way back when, Parker fell to I think 21 because people thought he was too small. And his jumpshot when he came out is nothing like what it is now and certainly nothing like what Napier's is already. And Parker's size hasn't changed all that much since he came out either. His body just developed a little more. I will say that Napier's quickness seems to be at a similar level to what Parker exhibits. I don't have Napier's numbers as far as finishing in traffic but if you saw UCONNs Championship run, you know that he has no problems going into traffic. He doesn't seem to shy away from the big stage, the big shot, or going right at bigger defenders.

I personally haven't watched young Parker that much. But I would rather use our pick on something we actually need. A back up PG is a need, but it isn't a dire need. Rondo would be fine with playing 36-38 minutes, while Pressey or someone else can soak up the minutes.

I really don't want Shabazz due to the fact hes going to cost a first round pick. And he isn't. Don't get me wrong, his game is nice, but I just don't think its going to translate as well as everyone thinks.

I would love for us to try to draft, or pick up any international prospect overseas, and try to mold him.

Also winning a championship in the NCAA doesn't really mean much. Melo won a championship with Syracuse, and where is he?

You should watch his DraftXpress video first, then make a decision based on that.

I'm not sure that I follow the Melo analogy. Melo won a championship in college and became a highly touted lottery pick in a good draft. He has been considered a franchise-level player with great talent ever since. As for his current standing outside the playoffs now I'd say that bbiq, mental makeup, coaching and finally roster composition have a lot to do with that. None of those things have anything to do with Napier at this point. And it's not simply that he won a title. I'm not sanctioning the drafting of his backcourt teammate Ryan Boatwright here. I believe that Napier has talent, quickness, and a skillset that translates well to this league as a pick n roll lead guard. As for size, he's what 6'1, 185? Like all kids he could maybe put another 5-10lbs on him just for strangth and durability. But what separates him I think is his ability to lead on the floor. Much like Parker when he was going through the draft process, while people balked at his size, he showed brilliance at pre-draft workouts in his ability to lead his teammates in those workouts. And that is not something you just teach. And where is Parker now?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2014, 11:01:40 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
The kid got a little local love recently with UCONN's trip to Fenway and throwing out the first pitch. I'm curious. What do people think of him? Some people see him as a backup. Others as a starter. Honestly, I see both arguments but I think he could be a starter. He's a little small right now but I think like most college kids his body is still developing and he could add another 5-10lbs. People said Parker was small. He's clearly a lead guard in mindset. Not afraid to take the big shot. And I think he'll actually be a better pro than collegiate with NBA offense being so much more pick n roll oriented. I'd love to grab him with our 2nd pick. Especially in light of the uncertainty regarding Rajon's future around here.

Undersized, defense overrated, takes crazy and wild shots that most people shouldn't make. Went on a serious miracle run in which his last game before winning the championship was ridiculous... Half the shots he was taking, I would have benched if I was the coach.

You're basically paying for a Isaiah Thomas who cannot finish inside, but has a better jumper. I think everyone also thinks his passing is excellent. Its slightly above average, nothing about his passing to me is impressive or 'wows,' me.

I would love to have him as a back up, but honestly I would rather use our pick from Hawks/Nets to move up with some cash considerations/2nd pick for Staukas..

Also I don't get how people can ever compare him to Parker... Someone did, and I told him Parker is a once in a generation type of talent that you can find... Parker has his patented unstoppable floaters, and one of the best pick and roll mid range shots that is wet.
Parker is also a FAR better finisher, and excels in traffic, whereas Napier seems like he would struggle.

Well the comparison I'm making with Parker may be different to the one you saw before. I'm not talking about Parker now. I'm talking about the Parker that came into the league. When we had those 3 draft picks way back when, Parker fell to I think 21 because people thought he was too small. And his jumpshot when he came out is nothing like what it is now and certainly nothing like what Napier's is already. And Parker's size hasn't changed all that much since he came out either. His body just developed a little more. I will say that Napier's quickness seems to be at a similar level to what Parker exhibits. I don't have Napier's numbers as far as finishing in traffic but if you saw UCONNs Championship run, you know that he has no problems going into traffic. He doesn't seem to shy away from the big stage, the big shot, or going right at bigger defenders.

I personally haven't watched young Parker that much. But I would rather use our pick on something we actually need. A back up PG is a need, but it isn't a dire need. Rondo would be fine with playing 36-38 minutes, while Pressey or someone else can soak up the minutes.

I really don't want Shabazz due to the fact hes going to cost a first round pick. And he isn't. Don't get me wrong, his game is nice, but I just don't think its going to translate as well as everyone thinks.

I would love for us to try to draft, or pick up any international prospect overseas, and try to mold him.

Also winning a championship in the NCAA doesn't really mean much. Melo won a championship with Syracuse, and where is he?

You should watch his DraftXpress video first, then make a decision based on that.

I'm not sure that I follow the Melo analogy. Melo won a championship in college and became a highly touted lottery pick in a good draft. He has been considered a franchise-level player with great talent ever since. As for his current standing outside the playoffs now I'd say that bbiq, mental makeup, coaching and finally roster composition have a lot to do with that. None of those things have anything to do with Napier at this point. And it's not simply that he won a title. I'm not sanctioning the drafting of his backcourt teammate Ryan Boatwright here. I believe that Napier has talent, quickness, and a skillset that translates well to this league as a pick n roll lead guard. As for size, he's what 6'1, 185? Like all kids he could maybe put another 5-10lbs on him just for strangth and durability. But what separates him I think is his ability to lead on the floor. Much like Parker when he was going through the draft process, while people balked at his size, he showed brilliance at pre-draft workouts in his ability to lead his teammates in those workouts. And that is not something you just teach. And where is Parker now?

All I heard was Napier can play the pick and roll.

Yawn.

Sounds like a prototypical sixth man/back up PG kind of guy. Napier isn't going to be ever be anywhere near the level of Parker.

But hindsight is 20/20. He may or may not surprise us. Who knows?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Shabazz Napier would love to be a Celtic
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2014, 11:43:53 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Due to final 4 performance, Napier is probably a top pick for 'likely to get drafter higher than he should'.

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2014, 12:08:23 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

Yawn.

Sounds like a prototypical sixth man/back up PG kind of guy. Napier isn't going to be ever be anywhere near the level of Parker.

Wow.

If "Yawn" is all you got then I guess I don't have much else for you. LOL

We'll agree to disagree. Appreciate your thoughts on the matter though.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2014, 12:47:37 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Vonleh is from Haverill. We could have two local boys on the c's next year. That would be cool says I.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2014, 12:55:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Nbadraft compares napier to derek fisher.

Pretty good comparison. Not as strong yet but a deadly 3 pt shooter . Big game player

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2014, 01:01:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Pretty good comparison. Not as strong yet but a deadly 3 pt shooter . Big game player

Who was drafted 24th overall.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2014, 01:04:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

And that was a mistake. Fisher should of gone much higher

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2014, 01:29:26 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
napier is worth a late first we really should be looking to acquire him, wed be set on the pg position for the next 3-5 years. Sully and KO look like our future at PF and ,Then wed just be looking for a 3 more positions  ;D

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2014, 01:45:02 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Yawn.

Wow.

If "Yawn" is all you got then I guess I don't have much else for you. LOL

We'll agree to disagree. Appreciate your thoughts on the matter though.

I meant no offense to you. I just don't see it with Napier, a lot of guards excel at pick and roll. Yes he did extremely well in the final run, but can you really expect him to perform like he has in the NBA? Guards like Tony Allen feast on players like him.

I would love to bring him here under a 2nd round pick. I remember we almost got Parker too in a similar situation, and that was a huge regret. But I'm glad we have Rondo. Here's crossing fingers Napier goes undrafted LOL!
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2014, 01:51:53 PM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15

Hey boss-  "someone' here and yeah I think he could develop that part of his game.  He was too inconsistent his 4 years at UCONN but demonstrated this tournament that he could elevate his game and make big shots.  With his confidence running at an all time high, I did see flashes of TP and how that impacted his teammates. 

So if he never develops that killer floater does that mean he couldnt run an NBA team the way he did in the tournament?  I think he could.  Parker was also a late first round pick, albeit without 4 years in college behind him.  But get off the specific skillsets he may or may not currently have, he's still 6'1" that could potentially lead a team.

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2014, 11:44:05 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
17 is too early for Napier.  But if we can buy a 2nd round pick to get him, I wouldn't be against it.

If we draft 5th/6th, I think Vonleh is the way to go though.  He's also a local kid but he fills a much more immediate need.

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2014, 02:24:29 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

And that was a mistake. Fisher should of gone much higher

Are you joking? Fischer's had the good fortune to hit a couple big shots, be an outstanding teammate and go along for the ride with Shaq, Kobe, Durant, and Westbrook. He's like a JV Robert Horry.

Go check out some of his games with the Warriors and the Jazz if you think he should've gone much higher than that.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.