Author Topic: Shabazz Napier would love to be a Celtic  (Read 13641 times)

Re: Shabazz Napier would love to be a Celtic
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 05:31:26 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I don't know if Napier fits on the Celtics, below his NCAA tourney performance that was just plain cuckoo. UConn beat Florida twice. Napier was very strong in both of those games.

Huskies went 32-8 this year.
26 of those 40 games were against ranked teams.

Napier in the NCAA tournament:
36 minutes/gm
21.2 ppg
45.3 FG%
46.6 3 pt%
94.0 FT%

The teams he accomplished these numbers against? The top ranked teams in the nation.
St. Josephs 24-10
Villanova 29-5
Iowa St 28-8
Mich. St 29-9
Fla 36-3
Kentucky 29-11

Belichick bases a great deal of his draft analysis on “competition.” This explains the large number of SEC defensive players he’s drafted in the last decade. The only way to guess if a college player can “translate” to the pros is if he excels against the best college players in the highest pressure situations.

I am not a Napier fan, I don’t know if I’d be happy if he played for my team, but, there aren’t any other college players this year who “repeatedly” willed their team to win. Is UConn populated with highly rated players this year? No, but, Napier, helped take them all to the top.

I don’t know if Napier is “better” than any of the 28 players listed above him, I will say that not one of those 28 players outperformed him in “big games” this year.

Should he excel in the playoffs in the NBA? I wouldn’t be surprised in the least. “Wanting it more” is an intangible and Napier has it.

I don't see picking him in the first round. He could take Pressey's place...longshot though. Hard to ignore the "money aspect" of his game as the current Celtic's roster is devoid of players who can hit a game ending shot and Napier freaking lives on them.

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I love this kid. Reminds me a little of Alan Iverson, although obviously not in the same class.  Would love to work out a late first round pick and swoop him up. I think it would be a steal.  He is way undervalued because of his age, and maybe his height.   He has PG ball handling skills.

Maybe trade the 17th pick down about 10 slots and pick up a 2nd round pick in the process. Someone really decent (maybe a project) is going to be around in the 2nd round.

I got goose bumps when on national TV he professed his love for the Celtics. What a great story that would be, kid from Mission Hill projects on the Celtics.

I think his ceiling could be a poor man's Tony Parker.  Very pesky on defense though his ability to penetrate and dish/finish would need to be greatly improved.  Can stick the three from anywhere.

I don't even see anything at all similar to Tony Parker's game...

Napier is a better shooter, but a slower/worse finisher than Parker..

Parker also has one of the best floaters in the game.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 05:43:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Napier passing ability

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHqLfH-YBeE

Final game was a big time performance. Some of his threes were well beyond the nba three pt line. Those shots are near unguardable. For someone his height he can shoot over people unlike bayless

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Eq7BScjLv8

Lebron stated he thinks napier is the best pg from the 2014 draft.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:52:18 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 06:49:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Napier passing ability

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHqLfH-YBeE

Final game was a big time performance. Some of his threes were well beyond the nba three pt line. Those shots are near unguardable. For someone his height he can shoot over people unlike bayless

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Eq7BScjLv8

Lebron stated he thinks napier is the best pg from the 2014 draft.

No disrespect intended towards the best in the game, but LeBron's wrong.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2014, 07:25:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

No disrespect intended towards the best in the game, but LeBron's wrong.

Yeah, I'd guess LeBron has never seen Exum play, nor has he spent much time watching Tyler Ennis or Marcus Smart.  Probably just watched some of the later games in the NCAA tournament.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2014, 12:09:38 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Pretty cool video from bleacher report explaining how Boston is a good destination for prospects
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2039290-beckbucher-which-lottery-team-do-i-want-to-draft-me

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2014, 12:37:06 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
My coach coached him  when he was a highschooler and even  kicked Shabazz off of his team because of his bad attitude.

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2014, 01:00:04 AM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Jerryd Bayless 2.0
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

Shabazz Napier?
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2014, 09:14:37 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
The kid got a little local love recently with UCONN's trip to Fenway and throwing out the first pitch. I'm curious. What do people think of him? Some people see him as a backup. Others as a starter. Honestly, I see both arguments but I think he could be a starter. He's a little small right now but I think like most college kids his body is still developing and he could add another 5-10lbs. People said Parker was small. He's clearly a lead guard in mindset. Not afraid to take the big shot. And I think he'll actually be a better pro than collegiate with NBA offense being so much more pick n roll oriented. I'd love to grab him with our 2nd pick. Especially in light of the uncertainty regarding Rajon's future around here.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

Re: Shabazz Napier?
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2014, 09:22:13 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
The kid got a little local love recently with UCONN's trip to Fenway and throwing out the first pitch. I'm curious. What do people think of him? Some people see him as a backup. Others as a starter. Honestly, I see both arguments but I think he could be a starter. He's a little small right now but I think like most college kids his body is still developing and he could add another 5-10lbs. People said Parker was small. He's clearly a lead guard in mindset. Not afraid to take the big shot. And I think he'll actually be a better pro than collegiate with NBA offense being so much more pick n roll oriented. I'd love to grab him with our 2nd pick. Especially in light of the uncertainty regarding Rajon's future around here.

Undersized, defense overrated, takes crazy and wild shots that most people shouldn't make. Went on a serious miracle run in which his last game before winning the championship was ridiculous... Half the shots he was taking, I would have benched if I was the coach.

Short wingspan, and won't be able to guard..

You're basically paying for a Isaiah Thomas who cannot finish inside, but has a better jumper. I think everyone also thinks his passing is excellent. Its slightly above average, nothing about his passing to me is impressive or 'wows,' me.

I would love to have him as a back up, but honestly I would rather use our pick from Hawks/Nets to move up with some cash considerations/2nd pick for Staukas..

I think Staukas will be a excellent player in the NBA.

Also I don't get how people can ever compare him to Parker... Someone did, and I told him Parker is a once in a generation type of talent that you can find... Parker has his patented unstoppable floaters, and one of the best pick and roll mid range shots that is wet.

Parker is also a FAR better finisher, and excels in traffic, whereas Napier seems like he would struggle.

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2014, 09:23:11 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I wouldn't take a chance on him with a top 40 pick that's for sure, too much talent in this draft.

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2014, 09:27:54 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Undersized, defense overrated, takes crazy and wild shots that most people shouldn't make. Went on a serious miracle run in which his last game before winning the championship was ridiculous... Half the shots he was taking, I would have benched if I was the coach.

You're basically paying for a Isaiah Thomas who cannot finish inside, but has a better jumper. I think everyone also thinks his passing is excellent. Its slightly above average, nothing about his passing to me is impressive or 'wows,' me.

I would love to have him as a back up, but honestly I would rather use our pick from Hawks/Nets to move up with some cash considerations/2nd pick for Staukas..

Also I don't get how people can ever compare him to Parker... Someone did, and I told him Parker is a once in a generation type of talent that you can find... Parker has his patented unstoppable floaters, and one of the best pick and roll mid range shots that is wet.

Parker is also a FAR better finisher, and excels in traffic, whereas Napier seems like he would struggle.

how is Shabazz undersized?

He's 6'1 with a 6'3 wingspan. Guards like CP3 and Kyrie are roughly the same height with roughly the same wingspan.

Rondo is the odd one with the crazy wingspan for a 6'0 wingspan

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

how is Shabazz undersized?

He's 6'1 with a 6'3 wingspan. Guards like CP3 and Kyrie are roughly the same height with roughly the same wingspan.

Rondo is the odd one with the crazy wingspan for a 6'0 wingspan

DraftXpress has him at 6'0 and 6'2 wingspan. My mistake, he isn't undersized.

CP3 is considered 'six,' feet tall, but we all know hes definitely either 5'10 or 5'11.. If you seriously think hes 6'0, then I don't got anything else to say lol.

I have nothing against Shabazz. But his game reminds me similarly of Jerryd Bayless. There are a million of those players in the league, why should we use our first pick, or anything else for a back up PG?

I would rather keep Pressey, and try to score some deals for a young prospect that is seeing bench time, or bring back a PG from overseas.

What we should be focusing on is a solid 3 pt shooter, and a Center. We need a 'closer,' someone that is our go to guy first.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:39:21 AM by Monkhouse »

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2014, 09:38:58 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

Well the comparison I'm making with Parker may be different to the one you saw before. I'm not talking about Parker now. I'm talking about the Parker that came into the league. When we had those 3 draft picks way back when, Parker fell to I think 21 because people thought he was too small. And his jumpshot when he came out is nothing like what it is now and certainly nothing like what Napier's is already. And Parker's size hasn't changed all that much since he came out either. His body just developed a little more. I will say that Napier's quickness seems to be at a similar level to what Parker exhibits. I don't have Napier's numbers as far as finishing in traffic but if you saw UCONNs Championship run, you know that he has no problems going into traffic. He doesn't seem to shy away from the big stage, the big shot, or going right at bigger defenders.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2014, 09:49:38 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Well the comparison I'm making with Parker may be different to the one you saw before. I'm not talking about Parker now. I'm talking about the Parker that came into the league. When we had those 3 draft picks way back when, Parker fell to I think 21 because people thought he was too small. And his jumpshot when he came out is nothing like what it is now and certainly nothing like what Napier's is already. And Parker's size hasn't changed all that much since he came out either. His body just developed a little more. I will say that Napier's quickness seems to be at a similar level to what Parker exhibits. I don't have Napier's numbers as far as finishing in traffic but if you saw UCONNs Championship run, you know that he has no problems going into traffic. He doesn't seem to shy away from the big stage, the big shot, or going right at bigger defenders.

I personally haven't watched young Parker that much. But I would rather use our pick on something we actually need. A back up PG is a need, but it isn't a dire need. Rondo would be fine with playing 36-38 minutes, while Pressey or someone else can soak up the minutes.

I really don't want Shabazz due to the fact hes going to cost a first round pick. And he isn't. Don't get me wrong, his game is nice, but I just don't think its going to translate as well as everyone thinks.

I would love for us to try to draft, or pick up any international prospect overseas, and try to mold him.

Also winning a championship in the NCAA doesn't really mean much. Melo won a championship with Syracuse, and where is he?

You should watch his DraftXpress video first, then make a decision based on that.