Author Topic: An honest opinion on #5, #20 and #34  (Read 6755 times)

An honest opinion on #5, #20 and #34
« on: April 23, 2014, 03:27:31 AM »

Offline sunnyd656

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 21
Straight up, why would we retire KG and Allen's number.

#1 Allen took #34 when he went to the heat, I know he was #34 on the Sonics, but dear lord, give the minimal respect for the team you ditched for less money. (Gratz on championship, will not disrespect, even if you're literally the reason Heat won. Lol.) (( Also, the year after we we're almost the reason we ruined them twice in a row?? Even though you were the WORST player on the court)) Triple brackets: IMO shouldn't even warrant a discussion of retired number but I'm one person of many:end triple bracket

#2. KG was a great, great GREAT player, even the extra year he gave us in 2012-2013, but wouldn't retiring #5 the same time as #34 be the same as saying "thanks for #17 Pierce". IMO should at a minimum be AFTER #34. If minny doesn't retire his number (then I don't know who's number Minnesota would!) ((If you single handily require a NBA lockout, then do whatever you want, please.)) Triple brackets: As good as you were for us, don't expect us to treat us like your #35 :end triple bracket

#3. Paul Pierce. #34. After #33. Legacy. To retire either #5 or #20 because they were very good, maybe even crucial to our banner #17, is insulting. It doesnt even get a paragraph.

Now, can I get a GOOD or atleast a VALID opinion on why either of these 2 numbers should be retired on the SAME day as #34. I'll give you #5 at best, because he changed Boston back into a defensive oriented team. Won DPoY etc. etc......  but I just cannot fathom a guy who played for us for 5 years gets the same honor as a guy who played for 15. And don't even get me started on #20. lolz. Great 51 point game you had bud, try harder next time.

Every year there are 6-7 teams with a lower winning percentage than our current record. I think we've gotten so used to ignoring the bottom feeders since 2008 that we've forgotten how bad some teams are.

Re: An honest opinion on #5, #20 and #34
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 05:18:57 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
#1 Allen took #34 when he went to the heat, I know he was #34 on the Sonics, but dear lord, give the minimal respect for the team you ditched for less money.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here?  Do you think it's disrespectful that Ray Allen switched back to #34 when he went to Miami?  That was his number for his first 11 seasons in the league, as well as his number at UConn.  Why wouldn't he use that number?

To retire either #5 or #20 because they were very good, maybe even crucial to our banner #17, is insulting.

There is no maybe about it.  No Ray Allen, no banner #17.  No KG, no banner #17.  It's that simple.

I don't really care much about numbers getting retired.  Pierce deserves it, but I have no problem if they don't retire KG or RA's number.  Hell, I'd almost love to see them retire Allen's number just so all the C's fans who were butthurt about how Ray left will have level 5 conniption fits when they hear the news.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 06:20:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Some guys are going to see this and think it is draft picks, LOL.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:32:33 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Wyc has already said Pierce and KG are getting retired. Ray IMO hasn't earned that.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:44:34 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pierce & KG are no brainers to me.

There are numbers already hanging up there that did much less than KG.  KG changed the culture of this team in '07-08 & beyond.  What he did to the Celtics extended well beyond the numbers.  You could see the impact on the floor just thru intensity and the more defensive mindedness the team adapted. Especially when you contrasted with the C's teams preceeding that.  Off the court?  He helped transform thr fanbase and helped the city reestablish it's connection with the Celtics. 

What happens with Ray? I'm pretty indifferent about it. If the team decides to retire his number, I'm fine with that. It was the New Big 3 after all and part of the identity at that particular era.  He hit some clutch shots and was fun to watch.  At the same time, his exit doesn't leave him on the same level as Pierce or KG when it comes to that era. If Wyc & co decide not to retire his number, I'm not gonna raise a fuss, either. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 08:46:36 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Some guys are going to see this and think it is draft picks, LOL.
I did!!! lol
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:49:03 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Wyc has already said Pierce and KG are getting retired. Ray IMO hasn't earned that.

Yeah. And before anyone says anything about bias against Ray Allen...so what. Having your name up there, it's partly for the fans.

He made a business decision and this is one of the costs.

Eventually I reckon he'd have his name hung anyway, for appearances' sakes.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 08:51:17 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Going to start running out of numbers in the future lol
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 09:13:40 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
They could also go the "Loscy" route with Ray and KG.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 09:59:44 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
They could also go the "Loscy" route with Ray and KG.

I'd go that route with Ainge. "Danny" would be fine.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 10:17:21 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Going to start running out of numbers in the future lol

At some point they're just going to have to unretire all or most of the numbers and create a Celtics "Hall of Fame" instead.

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 10:33:38 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Now, can I get a GOOD or atleast a VALID opinion on why either of these 2 numbers should be retired on the SAME day as #34.

Wait, is your argument about their numbers being retired on the same day, or that Pierce’s number should be retired first? Why do you think that would/should happen?  It’s usually based around when guys retire, when guys can be in town, and when the team needs to fill some seats.

Let’s look at the guys who were responsible for rings 14, 15, and 16.

Bird’s number was retired February 4, 1993
McHale’s number was retired January 30, 1994
Parish’s number was retired January 18, 1998
DJ’s number was retired December 13, 1991
Maxwell’s number was retired December 15, 2003

I don’t think Bird was disrespected when they retired DJ’s number before his.

Pierce’s number will likely be retired the first season after he retires, KG too (though I could see that taking a couple of years, maybe he does his Minnesota jersey one year, and his Boston jersey another, like how Barkley’s jersey was retired by the Sixers in ’01 and the Suns in ’04, or Drexler’s jersey was retired by the Rockets in ’00 and the Blazers in ‘02).  Ray Allen will probably get his way down the line like Max, when the team’s rebuilding in 2028 and they need to fill some seats, Ray Allen’s #20 will be retired along with a special ceremony for the 20 year anniversary of banner #18.  I can see something like that going down.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 10:45:03 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
I'm on board with all 3 of their numbers getting retired.

And not to be mean, but I honesty can't figure out what the OP's opinion on the subject is. Half of what he wrote is gibberish. I mean, I have no idea what he is trying to say with comments like this:

(( Also, the year after we we're almost the reason we ruined them twice in a row?? Even though you were the WORST player on the court)) Triple brackets: IMO shouldn't even warrant a discussion of retired number but I'm one person of many:end triple bracket

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 10:55:49 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Think about it like bulletpoints.
-Also the year after we were almost the reason we ruined [the heat's playoff run] twice in a tow, even though Ray Allen was the worst player on the court

-IMO Ray's play shouldn't even warrant a discussion of a retired number but I'm one person of many.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 11:32:53 AM »

Offline mr. kurtz

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I'm maybe a minority around here but i think ray should absolutely get retired. i think he got different treatment than KG from danny and management before he left. they brought in jet and kind of showed him the way out.
i think he is not much different than corn bread maxwell and should be retired 10 years after he leave the game.

KG is a no brainer IMO, without him coming to boston pierce most likely would have got traded in 2008. i'm fine with retiring pierce first on a different evening (against L.A).