Author Topic: Media and Interviews.  (Read 870 times)

Media and Interviews.
« on: April 23, 2014, 02:03:32 AM »

Offline sunnyd656

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 21
Was looking through the best of Tommy and Mike after that post by Jeff. One thing that popped into my mind, sorta randomly granted, was I am a big time Blues fan. (Am from St. Louis.) They literally will not interview Tarasenko, arguably the blues' best player, because he does not like the camera. They did once, and it was absolutely terrible and you actually felt bad for a guy making millions of dollars.

Now it doesn't take a psychologist to realize people can't handle talking to a huge crowd, but I sometimes have heard the argument of how Rondo isn't a leader because of how he talks to the media. His particular interviews have jokes, sarcasm etc but you have to listen because his joking and 100% serious voice is exactly the same. (Not to mention his jokes are 110% terrible. AKA "no I haven't done that many pushups" after the Hump thing last year) Now, I hate and will not bring up "Did X do Y because of Z" especially including "Did Rondo give the pass to Green to get the Assist" (X Y X)

But, again I have heard multiple times of how Rondo talks to the media and cannot be a leader because of this. Does the media aspect ruin how we view our "role models"? Pretty sure there is a hour long documentary of all the things MJ did that would make us hate him this day of age.....Including punching Steve Kerr in the face during practice. Of course in retrospect this makes him MJ and why he's so great....... but if, say Lebron/KD did that today, would be murdered by Sportscenter and by fans alike. Pretty sure Kobe left for his vacation while the Lakers had a few games left, as if he hasn't done enough for then, and Media blew the hell up about it.

So, probably not the best subject for "Celtics Talk".......but is media ruining the simple thing of competitive sports in general? The simple thing of Interviews is now criticized by a word by word basis.
  Every year there are 6-7 teams with a lower winning percentage than our current record. I think we've gotten so used to ignoring the bottom feeders since 2008 that we've forgotten how bad some teams are.

Re: Media and Interviews.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 02:04:25 AM »

Offline sunnyd656

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 21
o and obv forgot Bruins goin down fools! DONT MESS THE THE NOTE.  ;D
  Every year there are 6-7 teams with a lower winning percentage than our current record. I think we've gotten so used to ignoring the bottom feeders since 2008 that we've forgotten how bad some teams are.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 09:40:29 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Fortunately, Rondo does not have to "lead" the media.  What he has to do is "lead" a basketball team.  (IMHO he does that very well...even (or especially) when he is injured. 

Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:52:11 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Was looking through the best of Tommy and Mike after that post by Jeff. One thing that popped into my mind, sorta randomly granted, was I am a big time Blues fan. (Am from St. Louis.) They literally will not interview Tarasenko, arguably the blues' best player, because he does not like the camera. They did once, and it was absolutely terrible and you actually felt bad for a guy making millions of dollars.

Now it doesn't take a psychologist to realize people can't handle talking to a huge crowd, but I sometimes have heard the argument of how Rondo isn't a leader because of how he talks to the media. His particular interviews have jokes, sarcasm etc but you have to listen because his joking and 100% serious voice is exactly the same. (Not to mention his jokes are 110% terrible. AKA "no I haven't done that many pushups" after the Hump thing last year) Now, I hate and will not bring up "Did X do Y because of Z" especially including "Did Rondo give the pass to Green to get the Assist" (X Y X)

But, again I have heard multiple times of how Rondo talks to the media and cannot be a leader because of this. Does the media aspect ruin how we view our "role models"? Pretty sure there is a hour long documentary of all the things MJ did that would make us hate him this day of age.....Including punching Steve Kerr in the face during practice. Of course in retrospect this makes him MJ and why he's so great....... but if, say Lebron/KD did that today, would be murdered by Sportscenter and by fans alike. Pretty sure Kobe left for his vacation while the Lakers had a few games left, as if he hasn't done enough for then, and Media blew the hell up about it.

So, probably not the best subject for "Celtics Talk".......but is media ruining the simple thing of competitive sports in general? The simple thing of Interviews is now criticized by a word by word basis.

Holding athletes accountable for their actions and thoughts can't be a bad thing.

Now, there are times when it's silly -- LeBron's Mount Rushmore is a great example of that (and we might want to reread our responses to that before casting the first stone about the media ruining competitive sports) -- but most of the time it's a good thing.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.