Author Topic: If we have one of the top three picks, would you give the Jazz a call?  (Read 6751 times)

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
As Celtics fans, we are all rooting for a Top 3 pick so we can get our hands on Wiggins, Parker, or Embiid.  However, I am not convinced that Randall, Smart, and Exum are significant drop offs from those three, if at all and I think there is a good chance Embiid may slip. 

For the Jazz, however, landing Parker has obvious business, cultural, and long term ramifications.  To land a stud basketball player that also happens to be Mormon would set them up nicely for years to come.

So, with all of that in mind, if the Celts were to be the one team that snuck into the Top 3 and dropped the Jazz pick down to 5, would you consider trading our pick (assuming it is Parker) for the Jazz Pick and some combo of their young guys (Haywood, Kanter, Burke). 

My thinking is that the Jazz would go for this for the reasons stated above.  Now the question is, would the Celtics, and what would the price tag be.

For me, this is tough, because Parker is 1 on my personal board, but if I could get Haywood and the 5 pick (and hopefully turn that into Exum, Embiid, Smart, or Randall) I would potentially consider this.  Not an easy decision either way.

Thoughts?

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
No.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
so we would trade down to get a guy that we can sign as a FA this summer anyway?

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
so we would trade down to get a guy that we can sign as a FA this summer anyway?

Get creative, it does not have to be for Haywood...the questions is would you consider it? If so, what would it take to make you pull the trigger.

More than likely, we are going to get the 5 pick anyway, I am saying consider a scenario where you still get the 5 pick, and can add another player or two and/or future picks from a team who is probably more desperate for Parker than anyone else.

I'm not saying I would definitely do it until I see how all these guys do during the combines, but it is an interesting scenario to consider. 

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
No way. I'm keeping Jabari.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Get creative, it does not have to be for Haywood...the questions is would you consider it? If so, what would it take to make you pull the trigger.

More than likely, we are going to get the 5 pick anyway, I am saying consider a scenario where you still get the 5 pick, and can add another player or two and/or future picks.

I'm not saying I would definitely do it until I see how all these guys do during the combines, but it is an interesting scenario to consider.

To trade a top 3 pick in this draft, i.e. Wiggins, Parker, or Embiid, it would take a heck of a lot more than what the Jazz have to offer. The drop off from the top 3 to the next 4 is too huge imo to trade it away unless we get a bonafide young superstar like Anthony Davis.

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday

More than likely, we are going to get the 5 pick anyway, I am saying consider a scenario where you still get the 5 pick, and can add another player or two and/or future picks.

To trade a top 3 pick in this draft, i.e. Wiggins, Parker, or Embiid, it would take a heck of a lot more than what the Jazz have to offer. The drop off from the top 3 to the next 4 is too huge imo to trade it away unless we get a bonafide young superstar like Anthony Davis.
When push comes to shove, that is probably where I would shake out as well.  I like Parker too much.  Reminds me of Pierce.

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Nope.  In the NBA you almost always go quality over quantity.  The only way I'd consider it is if Utah was also in the top 3, for example we have the #1 pick and they have the #2 pick. 

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'd wait for them to call me.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Is there a possible scenario where Boston gets the #3 pick, and Orlando finishes #5 or #6?

If I'm looking at it right, I think so. Orlando might be an interesting trade partner in that kind of scenario.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Re: If we have one of the top three picks, would you give the Jazz a call?
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 09:16:12 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Is there a possible scenario where Boston gets the #3 pick, and Orlando finishes #5 or #6?

If I'm looking at it right, I think so. Orlando might be an interesting trade partner in that kind of scenario.

Arron Afflalo please.

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 09:52:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'd listen if they offered Favors, not sure anyone else would interest me.

I'd rather try and trade them Rondo for 5 and Burke, though I'm not sure they would do that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 09:17:31 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I don't think so.

I'd be happy to make this deal if the guy we get in return is Exum, but I seriously doubt he will go outside the top 4.  The only other would be maybe Smart.  I think he has the potential to be the next D Wade.  Remember in Wade's draft year everybody said there was a very clear distinction between the top 3 guys (LeBron, Darko, Carmello) and everybody else.  Pat Riley was having a very tough time deciding between Wade and Chris Kaman at pick #5.  Wade was seen as having more upside but Miami were looking for a big, and Riley was concerned by Wade's jump shot and his ball handling.

Sound familiar?

As it turns out Wade became a better player than either Bosh, Darko or Kaman...and you could make a legit argument that he was better than Melo too.

I think this is interesting to note because this draft to me has so many similarities to that draft.  You have your top 3 picks that everybody is salivating over - an athletic freak SF (I.e. LeBron/Wiggins), a super talented 7 footer with crazy upside but high risk (Darko/Embiid), and a less athletic but elite offensive swingman (Melo/Parker).

Then outside of the big 3 you have the guys that people are considering a huge step down - a combo guard with a killer instinct (Wade/Smart) and  fairly athletic big with an inside-outside game (Bosh/Vonheh).

The additions this year is that you also have Randle and Exum, but otherwise the similarities are almost creepy.  Just like in that draft there is every chance that two guys outside the top 3 (say Smart and Vonleh) could well turn out better than Embiid.  Exum could easily turn into a better player than both Parker and Wiggins.  There's enough talent in that to 6 or 7 that you just don't know.  Either one of those guys could become a big star or a flop.

All depends on who is available with the pick and what the team is offering to sweeten the deal.  If it's Hayward then no.  He's just not that good, any most of the top 6-7 guys in the draft will probably be better than him.

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 09:39:33 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If we get one or two and they want to trade up from 3 or 4 I would have interest. I feel like the top four guys are of extremely similar value, so if we can pick up an asset while moving down and still getting essentially the same value out of the pick I think you would have to do it.

I'm not really sure what young player they would throw in though. Hayward can't be traded because he is a free agent, Favors and Kanter are probably too much of a price for them to move down a couple spots. I doubt they would move Burke unless they got Rondo back to run the point, especially if they are using the pick on Jabari. I don't have enough interest in Rudy Gobert or Jeremy Evans as the incentive to move down.

If we were to do a deal, I think Alec Burks would be fair (but I could be way off), and I would probably accept the 23rd pick and 3rd pick for the first overall or something like that.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 01:28:41 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Are teams allowed to trade consecutive first rounders if they receive a first rounder in return for one of those years? If so, I'd love to get our hands on Utah's pick next year.  I'd move down within  the top 4 (really top 3, because if we are above Utah then they can't be fourth) for their pick next year, Favors, or maybe Kanter or Burke.  Probably not for Hayward though.  Outside the top 4, forget it, the dropoff is too steep IMO.