Author Topic: Say OKC gets booted , would they trade Westbrook for Rondo then ? and would you?  (Read 60994 times)

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
No desire to see Westbrook in a Celtic uniform. An athletic marvel for sure but also a relentless gunner that routinely ignores the MVP of the league in crunchtime. And he doesn't make the game easier for anybody on his team. Fine for the regular season. Not so good in the playoffs. It would not surprise me in the least if OKC never wins a title with Westbrook at the helm.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The Thunder would not do that deal in a million years. The Celtics would do it in a heartbeat. Let's face it, Russell Westbrook is a way better player than Rondo

Pretty much this. The criticism of Westbrook comes down to "I don't think he plays the way I think a point guard aught to."

Which is a fine position to hold, but it's about as relevant to a basketball discussion as "kelly olynyk needs to get a haircut."

I don't accept the statement that "Russell Westbrook is a way better player than Rondo."  Clearly, Rondo struggled this year.  I think it's fair to assume that his recovery from major knee surgery was a major factor in those struggles.  It seems reasonable to project that Rondo could look much more like pre-injury Rondo coming into next season, more than a year and a half removed from his surgery.

I'm not criticizing Westbrook.  He's a great player, but like most NBA players not named James or Durant, he's got some flaws. 

I'll take Rondo based on the assumption that he will come into next season with a fully recovered knee.  There seems to be a significant school of thought on Rondo that says his best years are behind him.  At the age of 28, I doubt that's the case.  I think a lot of folks are going to be surprised by his level of play (in a good way) coming into next season. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That's possible -- I just think a lot of people get caught up in the Saint Kevin Durant thing and demonize Westbrook (despite the fact that the team is unarguably better with Westbrook on the Court).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
That's possible -- I just think a lot of people get caught up in the Saint Kevin Durant thing and demonize Westbrook (despite the fact that the team is unarguably better with Westbrook on the Court).

So I ask;  with both players playing at their best, do you think "Russell Westbrook is a way better player than Rondo"?

I don't agree with that statement.  And, it has nothing to do with "demonizing" Westbrook or any kind of "Saint Kevin Durant" thing. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I think Westbrook's best position is probably at the 2 guard where his aggressiveness and shoot first mentality would be welcomed. Similar to how the Suns use Dragic at the 1 and Bledsoe at the 2. He has enough size and strength to defend opposing 2's and his speed and explosiveness would make hard for 2 guards to stay in front of him.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

So I ask;  with both players playing at their best, do you think "Russell Westbrook is a way better player than Rondo"?

I don't agree with that statement.  And, it has nothing to do with "demonizing" Westbrook or any kind of "Saint Kevin Durant" thing.

With both players playing at their best Westbrook's probably  better, further it's possible that Westbrook hasn't hit his ceiling yet, and at least he'll stay at a high level for longer (he's only 25 and this is 'best case scenario').

I think I prefer the way Rondo plays when he's at his best, though. The same way I preferred Jason Williams to John Stockton, which is not to say that's the kind of gap between Westbrook and Rondo.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Russell Westbrook is a way better player than Rondo.

That's my opinion, no doubt.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I would definitely do that if I were OKC. Rondo is only 2 years older. Both have had significant injuries. I think Rondo makes everyone on that team better. It's definitely better for Jeremy Lamb or Perry Jones to play with Rondo. A healthy Rondo is a better defender. Rondo also does very well against the Heat and Bulls.

Westbrook is on the hook for a lot of money for a long time. Rondo could sign for less money.  It's a huge win for the Thunder. I do not like the idea of trying to build a championship team with Westbrook as your best piece at all. 

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
The second Westbrook gets here KO would say to Stevens "So I guess I gotta become better at playing without the ball, right?"

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
westbrook doesnt have a great basketball iq and that will prevent him from becoming on of the greatest guards to ever play because the tools are obviously there.
with that said I really dont want westbrook, but this trade would make some sense.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yeah, I also feel like this ship has sorta sailed but if the opportunity ever did present itself, I would make this deal.

I like Westbrook.

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Durant + Rondo + Perkins + Sefolosha = Durant triple team past half court.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The second Westbrook gets here KO would say to Stevens "So I guess I gotta become better at playing without the ball, right?"

because he gets the ball so often as it is ...
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Durant + Rondo + Perkins + Sefolosha = Durant triple team past half court.

Yeah that sounds about right.
- Mark Twain

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

because he gets the ball so often as it is ...
Well at least he rebounds once in a while when he can, which is more than we can say for Jeff Green