Author Topic: Say OKC gets booted , would they trade Westbrook for Rondo then ? and would you?  (Read 61098 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I know this trade Idea has been posted before , but if OKC gets booted before the Finals, do you think they will explore changes to the roster ? I just think Rondo would be a better fit with Durant , C's get the go to scorer they need . Maybe we add the clips pick to make it happen ?

Thoughts?

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
That ship has sailed I would love to see Westbrook in Boston Green.

Yeah I would do the deal, even give them back their Green for Perk..

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I won't do it.  Rondo is a better pointguard and I think he brings more to the table than Westbrook.  I refuse to judge Rondo based on a throw-away season and one he came back from an injury that sidelined him for a year.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
The Thunder would not do that deal in a million years. The Celtics would do it in a heartbeat. Let's face it, Russell Westbrook is a way better player than Rondo

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No way.

1. Rondo's a better point guard.

2. I hate everything about Westbrook. His attitude, his gameplay, you name it.

3. I don't think I could stand watching boneheaded crap like this for his Celtics tenure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9YebolthYo

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 01:34:01 AM by pearljammer10 »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't buy into the belief of some that you can't build a championship team with a star point guard.  I might be more accepting of an argument that it is hard to build a championship team if your point guard is your go-to scorer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Oklahoma City would not.  They badly need Westbrook's aggressiveness and scoring opposite Durant.  If they still had Harden, then it would make a lot more sense for them, but there is no way they trade Westbrook for Rondo without significant other assets coming their way.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I refuse to judge Rondo based on a throw-away season and one he came back from an injury that sidelined him for a year.

Me too.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Wow...every other new thread ....is a trade Rondo.

Come on ...he is our best player .

How about .....throw away Bogins, Bass, and Wallace first .........get rid of the junk we are hoarding , keep the good pieces.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
No they don't need to. Westbrook just needs to take a few less shots (jumpshots) and give them up to Durant.
What OKC really needs are another 2 three point shooters to defer to and space the floor for Durant.
They need a legitimate 2 guard with a three point shot and get rid of Sefalosha.
They need a stretch four that can shoot jumpshots and threes and to slide Ibaka to the 5.
Rondo would be nice but with their current roster he'd only hurt them with his poor shooting.
He would however get Durant more open looks.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
No they don't need to. Westbrook just needs to take a few less shots (jumpshots) and give them up to Durant.
What OKC really needs are another 2 three point shooters to defer to and space the floor for Durant.
They need a legitimate 2 guard with a three point shot and get rid of Sefalosha.
They need a stretch four that can shoot jumpshots and threes and to slide Ibaka to the 5.
Rondo would be nice but with their current roster he'd only hurt them with his poor shooting.
He would however get Durant more open looks.
Durant doesn't need more open looks.  He gets plenty of them, in a large part as a result of Westbrook's aggressiveness and taking it to the hole (they then get kick outs and swing the ball around to Durant). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
The Thunder would not do that deal in a million years. The Celtics would do it in a heartbeat. Let's face it, Russell Westbrook is a way better player than Rondo

I think it depends though

offensively and probably even defensively, Westbrook hands down. He is more athletic and more of a dynamic player than Rondo is. Though I rather keep Rondo for one reason only. His ability to set his players up and put them in a position in score. I want a point guard that distributes and occasionally score.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Pretty much this. The criticism of Westbrook comes down to "I don't think he plays the way I think a point guard aught to."

Which is a fine position to hold, but it's about as relevant to a basketball discussion as "kelly olynyk needs to get a haircut."
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm coming around to the belief that OKC and even Durant would consider this a good idea if they get eliminated early from the playoffs. If you look around the league, there are a number of star players who have been vocal about wanting to play with Rondo - all of whom are veterans who begin to realize what it takes to win (or absolutely know how in the case of Kobe).

Durant absolutely does need additional scoring from his teammates, but I can't imagine he is loving Westbrook's unwarranted 3s or out of control style of play in the playoffs where things are slowed down and more methodical. They are poised to make a deep run this year, but if their time is cut short, I don't see how they don't covet a player like Rondo.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
OKC is never going to trade Westbrook for Rondo. 

Of course the Celtics would agree to such a trade.  In an instant.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain