Author Topic: For the 17th pick would you reach for Mitch Mcgary or Isaiah Austin ?  (Read 6941 times)

Re: For the 17th pick would you reach for Mitch Mcgary or Isaiah Austin ?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 10:58:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Mcgary if healthy this year would of possibly been considered to be a top 10 pick.  The guy is talented , has a nba center body and is quick for his size

People dont remeber him from last season? It was bc of him and burke michigan went to the finals
I doubt he was ever getting near the top 10. He was a low first round pick in last year's draft, and that was before a major back injury and surgery.

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 11:03:27 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No, I wouldn't consider either.  I see both at best as skilled backup bigs without a stand-out ability.  If the Celtics "reach" for a big, it should be a player with the potential to be a very good rim protector.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 11:18:29 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think we need a big, but we can't reach for one. I think Mitch is a solid player but he doesn't give the rim protection we need. Isaiah Austin is too frail, at best he could be a Channing Frye type player.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 11:23:20 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Mcgary if healthy this year would of possibly been considered to be a top 10 pick.  The guy is talented , has a nba center body and is quick for his size

People dont remeber him from last season? It was bc of him and burke michigan went to the finals
I doubt he was ever getting near the top 10. He was a low first round pick in last year's draft, and that was before a major back injury and surgery.

Yeah, draft position doesn't correlate that much to March Madness.

No, I wouldn't consider either.  I see both at best as skilled backup bigs without a stand-out ability.  If the Celtics "reach" for a big, it should be a player with the potential to be a very good rim protector.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 11:25:43 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think we need a big, but we can't reach for one. I think Mitch is a solid player but he doesn't give the rim protection we need. Isaiah Austin is too frail, at best he could be a Channing Frye type player.

Frye is a good comparison. But austin has more length

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd rather go after another wing (seems to be more depth there) than reach for a big at 17.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 11:28:56 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green

Yeah, draft position doesn't correlate that much to March Madness.

TP hahahah!
Fab just shed a tear ;D
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 11:29:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
You never reach for any draft pick ever. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 11:34:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Meh, if you're confident in your player evaluation you take the best player on your board

I know Danny managed the "ideal" when he traded our pick in the 2006 NBA draft and still bought his way into the draft to get Rondo who it was reported they were considering Rondo with the 7th pick.

But in the NBA you can't always move up or down like that, so trust your scouts and staff and draft the best player.

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 11:36:29 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Did the reach for miles plumlee end up badly for the pacers?

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 11:36:49 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

:)

Yeah, I still believe in the concept behind the Fab Melo pick, which is why I don't blame Danny too much for it.  My main issue with it (admittedly in hindsight) is that Melo was already pretty old despite not knowing the game very well at all, and there was reason to believe Melo wasn't very smart, meaning expecting him to gain insight into how to play the game might have been excessively optimistic.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 11:38:18 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Did the reach for miles plumlee end up badly for the pacers?

Yes?

:)

Yeah, I still believe in the concept behind the Fab Melo pick, which is why I don't blame Danny too much for it.  My main issue with it (admittedly in hindsight) is that Melo was already pretty old despite not knowing the game very well at all, and there was reason to believe Melo wasn't very smart, meaning expecting him to gain insight into how to play the game might have been excessively optimistic.

I was also all for the Fab pick at the time -- it was a late first rounder.

But he was bad, man. Real bad.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 11:43:29 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Meh, if you're confident in your player evaluation you take the best player on your board

I know Danny managed the "ideal" when he traded our pick in the 2006 NBA draft and still bought his way into the draft to get Rondo who it was reported they were considering Rondo with the 7th pick.

But in the NBA you can't always move up or down like that, so trust your scouts and staff and draft the best player.

Pretty much.  Trust your player evaluation.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 12:11:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

But he was bad, man. Real bad.

Like "Yikes...." bad.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 12:57:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
no to Austin - too soft. 

Mcgarry is a real bruiser but he's a PF's height but too slow as a PF and has a C's weight but not the height.  I find him comparable to a taller, slower BBD or a shorter, moderately-quicker Colton Iverson. 

I like Mcgarry's hustle and drive so I hope he latches on to some team that could use him.  I just don't think that team is the C's.