Author Topic: For the 17th pick would you reach for Mitch Mcgary or Isaiah Austin ?  (Read 6958 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Mcgary last season if he declared would of been drafted in the top 15.  Austin 15 to 25.

Mcgary - Helped Michigan to the finals the prior season. Looks like an absolute pain to play against.  Physical, nonstop motor, high iq , diving all over the place to win the 50/50 balls.   He only has a 7'0 wingspan but is 260 pounds, has a 9 ft reach and moves extremely well for his wide frame. He would not be that rim protector Danny is looking for (better than Sullinger/KO though) , but still considered a legit Center that can do alot of other things to help you win. Right now he is undecided if he will declare because he had a short season due to getting his back fixed. Reports are he should be fully healed for next season. Sounds like a similiar back problem Sully had

Austin - Has one bad eye.  Doesn't look like it affects his game though . 7'1 ft tall, 7'3 wingspan, 9'2 reach but only 225 pounds.  He is pretty athletic, moves well and has some nice skills (handles, passing, shooting from deep range).    He is also an excellent shot blocker due to his length.  He is 15-20 pounds away from possibly becoming a decent player.  If we reached for him and can't obtain a rim protector , i can see Austin coming into games from the bench and especially when shot blocking presence is required.

We could try to buy an early 2nd round pick, but i don't think either of these guys will be available that late and somebody in the 1st round will reach for both.  Would you take a risk to draft one of these guys? (unlike Jurkic who is considered a project these guys would be able to help out immediately)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOIqVeNmbU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTOt0uFr9TA

Re: For the 17th pick would you reach for Mitch Mcgary or Isaiah Austin ?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:20:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Id rather reach for Saric if he's still there. No reason to not go upside, especially with the depth there in the 2nd.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 11:22:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Id rather reach for Saric if he's still there. No reason to not go upside, especially with the depth there in the 2nd.

I like saric too but he is likely gone before we pick. A team like phx can afford to take a chance on him since they got multiple 1st picks

With mcgary we could be rewarded like we did with sullinger.

Austin has that length danny is looking for. Even if ko and sully starts it would be nice to have a third guy like austin to help deter shots

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 11:31:44 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I like saric too but he is likely gone before we pick. A team like phx can afford to take a chance on him since they got multiple 1st picks

Definitely. If we draft him at #17 it'll be a steal, not a reach, even if he's a draft and stash for a year or two. He's a top 10 talent.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 11:37:49 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I pass on the 2 bigs at 17. In the early second round i would definitely grab them and hope they can become rotation bench players in a couple years. I am actually surprised they both are declaring early for the draft this year.

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 11:49:54 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I like both these guys (and many others projected in draftexpress' 2nd round), but I think 17 is a bit of a reach for them. Austin has serious potential but won't be able to bang for a while and McGary is yet another PF.

I've had my eye on Austin and would like to nab him but we should get the bpa at 17.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 11:55:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I like both these guys (and many others projected in draftexpress' 2nd round), but I think 17 is a bit of a reach for them. Austin has serious potential but won't be able to bang for a while and McGary is yet another PF.

I've had my eye on Austin and would like to nab him but we should get the bpa at 17.

Neither would come in to start. Austin doesnt need to bang and let sully do that. He will be a pf in the nba

Mcgary though is a c in the nba. Or pf/c. He is 265 to be 270 im guessing.  His body, physicality screams center. Plus he wont be able to guard most nba pfs

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 12:06:31 AM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
I would certainly consider McGary, depending upon how his physicals and his workouts go. He would be a true 5, as triboy said.

I wouldn't even be interested in Austin as an undrafted free agent (he will be drafted, but you get my point).  I've seen Baylor 15+ times over the past two seasons and have not seen him play one impressive game.  He's a stretch 4 who can't shoot it all that well. He may be the softest seven footer I have ever seen, and he is definitely the least skilled soft player I have seen, haha.

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 12:08:23 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Neither at 17.  They should be around early 2nd late 1st.  And those picks can be bought if DA really believes they are worth drafting.

Just imagine if DA had bought the Marc Gasol pick at #48...  We wouldn't still be searching for a center.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:21:30 AM by vjcsmoke »

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 12:21:58 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

With mcgary we could be rewarded like we did with sullinger.

Austin has that length danny is looking for. Even if ko and sully starts it would be nice to have a third guy like austin to help deter shots

We could be rewarded I guess but we are more likely to be rewarded by a better prospect.  I mean there is about a 15-20% chance that Saric will be there at 17, but it's pretty likely one of Saric, McDermott, Nurkic, Gary Harris, James Young or TJ Warren will fall to us there.  17 is a huge upgrade on 18, while 18 is pretty even with say the 24th pick.  I'm real glad we won that tiebreaker, that's for sure.

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 12:46:39 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I would be shocked if there wasn't a wing player available that was a much better prospect than McGary or Patrick O'Bryant 2.0.  Selecting one of those two would be going for need over best player available, which would be a huge mistake.  This team needs talent, regardless of position.

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 01:03:48 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Mcgary if healthy this year would of possibly been considered to be a top 10 pick.  The guy is talented , has a nba center body and is quick for his size

People dont remeber him from last season? It was bc of him and burke michigan went to the finals

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 10:54:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Anyone else thinks austin at peak could  become a poor man kg? His skills is impressive for his height. Strength is the main thing holding him back

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
No, I think there will be other better prospects still on the board.

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 10:58:04 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Anyone else thinks austin at peak could  become a poor man kg? His skills is impressive for his height. Strength is the main thing holding him back
I don't think he has all-star potential, so no.