Author Topic: TJ Warren  (Read 5769 times)

Re: TJ Warren
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 12:54:28 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
That site is pretty poor with their mocks. They have us selecting Smart at 5 over Exum, which is doubtful to say the least. They also have Aaron Gordon falling to #12.

Eddie20,

Yes, their projected draft order is marginal, but their rankings of the players is spot on in my humble opinion!!!!  Check it out and please tell me which player they are far off on!!

Smitty77

One thing they are often wrong on is their NBA comparisons.  I can't access nbadraft.net at work, but I will try find some hilarious examples when I get home.  they are also notorious for always comparing white prospects to white pros, black prospects to black pros, etc.  Which has always been a pet peeve of mine.

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 12:57:50 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
That site is pretty poor with their mocks. They have us selecting Smart at 5 over Exum, which is doubtful to say the least. They also have Aaron Gordon falling to #12.

Eddie20,

Yes, their projected draft order is marginal, but their rankings of the players is spot on in my humble opinion!!!!  Check it out and please tell me which player they are far off on!!

Smitty77

One thing they are often wrong on is their NBA comparisons.  I can't access nbadraft.net at work, but I will try find some hilarious examples when I get home.  they are also notorious for always comparing white prospects to white pros, black prospects to black pros, etc.  Which has always been a pet peeve of mine.

Truth. It's like all white players have 'good motor' 'high basketball IQ' and 'athleticism issues'. They're all also from 'white person town' where all their dads are coaches and all their mothers make great pot roasts and are locked in loveless marriages.

Btw, I have a hilarious SNL sketch for this in mind. Adam Morrison grew up two doors down from Mitch Mcgary and a half-block away from JJ Redick. Jimmer always comes over for dinner on Sundays.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 01:11:51 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If NC State had not just barely squeezed into the NCAA tournament on the bubble, would people have held it as a mark against Warren that he couldn't carry a team into March Madness?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 01:16:49 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If NC State had not just barely squeezed into the NCAA tournament on the bubble, would people have held it as a mark against Warren that he couldn't carry a team into March Madness?

After his year, I don't think so. I'm not crediting him for making it anyways, his performance speaks for it's self.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 01:22:26 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't know what to make of Warren, even though I made it a point to watch him. Like others have said/alluded at, he's athletic and crafty as a scorer, but he doesn't have range yet. And the NBA is littered with combo forwards who were crafty and athletic in college but who we're missing a 3pt shot from being an impact or even complete player. Trying to think of the last forward who couldn't shoot a 3 but was super gifted at scoring under the arc, and I'm coming up with Corey Maggette. I don't want to draft Corey Maggette.

That's funny because a Maggette-type player is the kind of guy I could see the Celtics having a use for to back up Green and Bradley.

Maybe the guy you're trying to think of is Tracy McGrady (if you see him as a SG/SF whose position fluctuated depending on the quality of his teammates).  Carmelo Anthony was a 31.1% three-point shooter as a SF in his Denver years.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 01:45:35 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Truth. It's like all white players have 'good motor' 'high basketball IQ' and 'athleticism issues'. They're all also from 'white person town' where all their dads are coaches and all their mothers make great pot roasts and are locked in loveless marriages.

Haha yup.  I remember reading a scouting report on Joe Alexander that made him sound like he jumped straight off the screen during a midnight screening of Hoosiers.  The reality was his skill level was weak, he couldn't shoot to save his life, but he was an athletic freak that wowed GMs at the pre-draft camp with his physical measurements.  Same goes for Luke Jackson.  I think he had one of the highest (if not the highest) vertical leap in his draft class, but nbadraft.net made him sound like Mark Price Jr.

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 07:23:17 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I be satify with Warren..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin