Author Topic: TJ Warren  (Read 5746 times)

TJ Warren
« on: April 21, 2014, 07:39:28 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
The new nbadraft.net has us taking TJ at #18.  Now, I know that we have the #17, so they are wrong there.  That being said, TJ is rated out as a 93.  That is higher than 7 guys projected by them to be drafted higher than him and he is within one point of two others.

TJ would be a steal for us.  Some say that are NOT excited about his up side.  I disagree.  I think that once someone works with him and works out his kinks in his three point shot, he can be MUCH better.  Imagine how much the lane would open up for him if he starts shooting over 35% from long range.

Old school game and arguably the best scorer in college basketball and he only played two years at NC State.

Thoughts?

Smitty77

Re: TJ Warren
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I like him at 17, and think he should be picked in the 14-20 range. The guy is a very crafty scorer.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:02:13 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
That site is pretty poor with their mocks. They have us selecting Smart at 5 over Exum, which is doubtful to say the least. They also have Aaron Gordon falling to #12.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:27:38 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
TJ Warren could be a bigger, more controlled and consistent Jordan Crawford.  If we got a big with the first pick I wouldn't mind seeing him in green.

I think he's likely to be gone but there are a ton of good scoring wings in that range (Hood, Stauskas, Hairston, etc) and if a couple of teams reach for them he might be available.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:38:31 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
That site is pretty poor with their mocks. They have us selecting Smart at 5 over Exum, which is doubtful to say the least. They also have Aaron Gordon falling to #12.

Eddie20,

Yes, their projected draft order is marginal, but their rankings of the players is spot on in my humble opinion!!!!  Check it out and please tell me which player they are far off on!!

Smitty77

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 08:58:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I'am a fan of Warren and the celtics should consider him with our 17th pick. But watching several more clips , his 6'9 wingspan and lack of superior athleticism, could present a problem for the NBA. On the offensive end he will throw up many more difficult floaters , get blocked near the basket , so his jump shot has to be more consistent and on the defensive end its going to get worse.

Warren, Mcdermott, Early, Hood all had their ways in college but in the NBA most nice sf's either have excellent height or wingspan. Carmelo, Lebron, Durant, Batum, George all have 7 ft wingspans.  Chandler Parsons is 6'10.  Paul Pierce is one of the few sfs with neighter great height or wingspan but has been able to have his way . Just goes to show you how taltented he was/is

With the 17th pick i'm more interested in Danny taking a risk on prospects with high potential like Nukic, Payton, Andrew Harrison or drafting a deadly shooting SG like Stauskus, James Young, Hood (if he can play SG and his defense has improved)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:09:41 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 09:34:18 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
I'am a fan of Warren and the celtics should consider him with our 17th pick. But watching several more clips , his 6'9 wingspan and lack of superior athleticism, could present a problem for the NBA. On the offensive end he will throw up many more difficult floaters , get blocked near the basket , so his jump shot has to be more consistent and on the defensive end its going to get worse.

Warren, Mcdermott, Early, Hood all had their ways in college but in the NBA most nice sf's either have excellent height or wingspan. Carmelo, Lebron, Durant, Batum, George all have 7 ft wingspans.  Chandler Parsons is 6'10.  Paul Pierce is one of the few sfs with neighter great height or wingspan but has been able to have his way . Just goes to show you how taltented he was/is

With the 17th pick i'm more interested in Danny taking a risk on prospects with high potential like Nukic, Payton, Andrew Harrison or drafting a deadly shooting SG like Stauskus, James Young, Hood (if he can play SG and his defense has improved)

Another wing in that mix is PJ Hairston. I have only read about him, and seen clips, but he appears to have a complete game.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 09:42:06 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
The new nbadraft.net has us taking TJ at #18.  Now, I know that we have the #17, so they are wrong there.  That being said, TJ is rated out as a 93.  That is higher than 7 guys projected by them to be drafted higher than him and he is within one point of two others.

TJ would be a steal for us.  Some say that are NOT excited about his up side.  I disagree.  I think that once someone works with him and works out his kinks in his three point shot, he can be MUCH better.  Imagine how much the lane would open up for him if he starts shooting over 35% from long range.

Old school game and arguably the best scorer in college basketball and he only played two years at NC State.

Thoughts?

Smitty77

My picks for the C's are Gordon at 5/6 and TJ Warren at 17 or a PG at 17.  Gordon and TJ are interchangeable at the 3 and if you put them both out there, you can speed things up with Gordon at the 4. 

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Eddie20,

Yes, their projected draft order is marginal, but their rankings of the players is spot on in my humble opinion!!!!  Check it out and please tell me which player they are far off on!!

Smitty77

I'll go top 20.

Smart # 4
Anderson #9
Hood #10
Young #11
Gordon # 12
Saric # 16
Napier #20

DXpress and Chad Ford have the following projections for the same players.

Smart 6- 8
Anderson 17- Not in top 20
Hood 22- Not in top 20
Young  15- 15
Gordon 7- 6
Saric  9-12
Napier 28- Not in top 20

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 09:57:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Another wing in that mix is PJ Hairston. I have only read about him, and seen clips, but he appears to have a complete game.

no thx to hairston. Yes he can score but he is such a hog. Watch games of him playing and he is jacking up shots left and right.

look at game stats from college to the d league.  alot of zeros under the assist section

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 10:06:21 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

no thx to hairston. Yes he can score but he is such a hog. Watch games of him playing and he is jacking up shots left and right.

look at game stats from college to the d league.  alot of zeros under the assist section

Less than 1 assist per game. He plays 32 minutes per game. Ouch. Point taken.

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 10:10:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Warren would be an interesting pickup.  He's the sort of player who could make an immediate impact because of how badly this team lacks go-to scoring options.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 11:41:40 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Josh Smith has a 6'10" wingspan.  Chadler Parsons has a 6'10" wingspan, Evan Turner has a 6'8" wingspan, Corey Brewer has a 6'8" wingspan, Terrence Ross has a 6'7" wingspan.

Those are just a few that might have 1 whole inch on TJ.  I do see your point though.  That being said, TJ has a fairly nice handle and I see eventually being able to play some SG if he can improve his long range shooting.

Smitty77

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 11:50:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't know what to make of Warren, even though I made it a point to watch him. Like others have said/alluded at, he's athletic and crafty as a scorer, but he doesn't have range yet. And the NBA is littered with combo forwards who were crafty and athletic in college but who we're missing a 3pt shot from being an impact or even complete player. Trying to think of the last forward who couldn't shoot a 3 but was super gifted at scoring under the arc, and I'm coming up with Corey Maggette. I don't want to draft Corey Maggette.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 12:47:40 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm a bigger fan of KJ McDaniel as a surprise pick at #17.  He's only 6'6 but his wingspan is 6'9.5 and he is super athletic.  He has the quickness and speed to guard the 2 as well as the 3.

sleeper
http://fansided.com/2014/04/08/nba-draft-2014-gms-think-k-j-mcdaniels-best-sleeper-class/

video scouting profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Lr26ORJ_o

To me he looks like a young Dennis Rodman who can leverage his athleticism into easy scores off lobs, rebounding, and transition buckets.