Author Topic: Idea: Rondo to Lakers  (Read 10120 times)

Idea: Rondo to Lakers
« on: April 21, 2014, 06:15:49 AM »

Offline celtsfanforlife

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I predict this will happen on draft day.  Ainge will explore brining in Love or Carmello to pare with Rondo.  When he realizes this isn't going to happen, he will shift gears.  It makes no sense to hold Rondo if the plan is to rebuild through the draft.  It will take too long.

Rondo to Lakers for Lakers #1 pick (probably 6-7) and Nash.  This will happen unless Lakers can get Love or Lakers move into top 3 in draft.  Neither are likely.

This makes sense for Lakers because they need to accelerate things before Kobe is too old.  And Kobe loves Rondo.

Re: Rondo to Lakers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:12:20 AM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
No, no and no... you don't make trades because the team you're dealing withs franchise player, love a player. You make a trade to make your own team better whether it be part of a short term or long term view. This does neither. No thanks.
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 07:27:20 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
If you think Exum>Rondo then I could see you being in favor of this.

I do not and I have to imagine Ainge doesn't either.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:47:31 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
I don't get the fascination with Rondo to the Lakers.
I don't think I ever will.

Why would you ever help the Lakers? EVER...

So what if Kobe loves Rondo?
That doesn't mean you should give him to Kobe.

Why would you ever help a rival. Celtics and Lakers are the biggest rivalry in sports.

Quit it.

Re: Idea: Rondo to Lakers
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 07:56:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Hooray another Rondo to Lakers thread.  The 100 other ones weren't enough so we needed one more.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 08:03:09 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
No, no and no... you don't make trades because the team you're dealing withs franchise player, love a player. You make a trade to make your own team better whether it be part of a short term or long term view. This does neither. No thanks.

Hands down.  The thread can be closed now

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 09:27:52 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I hate this idea for two reasons. 1. I'm a Lakers hater 2. It has been brought up to much

However as much as I hate it it makes alot of sense....

If the Cs cant add a star with Rondo then a full on youth movement is the best plan of action. With the jump in the salary cap for next season the Heat will likely stick together and I expect Melo to migrate to Miami of Chicago. If he ends up a Bull the top of the east should be Miami, Chicago and Indiana for at least the next 3 years. If the Cs cant get enough talent to crack this top 3 its not worth wasting the assets to build around Rondo.

Enter the Lakers trade.  In the article below Jim Buss has put alot of pressure on himself to get his team back to championship level. This leads me to belive youth and potential will be cast aside to get back on top as soon as possible.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/233019/Jim-Buss-Gives-Himself-Deadline-To-Turn-Around-Lakers-Basketball-Ops

The lakers currently have two major deals on their books Kobe's and Nash's. Kobe is rehabbing for a come back next year and should be a major contributor. Nash is saying that next year is likely his last and that he cant be counted on by the Lakers.

If the Celtcs can't build a top 3 team around Rondo then the lakers trade comes into play. If the Cs get lucky and score a top 3 pick then trading for a cap filler/vet mentor in Nash and drafting Exum, Smart or Ennis (in that order) with the Lakers pick is a great long term move. The #18 should have a nice group of wings available.

A hypothetical outcome could be a draft of #3 Parker, #6 Smart, #18 Hood.

Then I would expect Green to be moved for another younger player. The Cs would likely resign the still young AB and go into 2014-15 season with the following.

PG. Smart, Nash, Pressey
SG  AB, Hood, Johnson
SF  Parker, Wallace
PF  Sully, Bass
C    KO, Anthony

This team would still be lottery bound but full of potential. The logical next step would be to find a rim protecting center and use Nash, Bass and Anthonys expiring to do so. Until a real center is brought in this will be a below average defensive unit. With this lineup both Smart and Parker would make a strong case for rookie of the year. If AB can stay healthy he and Smart are a great pairing with Smart being able to defend SGs, AB can go back to his natural role of pressuring PGs.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 09:46:29 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
There is merit to the possibility of this trade idea, depending on where the Lakers' pick is, and who is available.  I think Danny is indifferent as to whether or not it helps the Lakers.  All good trades help both partners, and if dealing with the Lakers yields the greatest net value to the Celtics relative to all other alternatives, Danny would not flinch.

I don't think the trade will happen, however, because Danny puts a very high value on Rondo's skill set (deservedly so), and the likelihood that Rondo will stick around during the rebuild at a home town discount.  I think Rondo's last deal was probably below market as well.  I don't think he is a guy that is all about the money. 

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 10:42:50 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I probed this in another thread where everyone said our best trade asset was a #6 pick (which is what we had when the thread started).  Nearly everyone felt that Rondo was worth less than the #6 pick but now no one wants to trade Rondo for a probable Laker's #6 pick.  I don't get it.

I think we can get more than just Nash and the #6 from the Lakers for Rondo.  Maybe we can get a young player with some value too and also send back Joel Anthony.  That seems about fair market value to me.

Doing this or not hinges on whether DA feels he can extend Rondo this off season.  If Rondo's plan is to test FA, I say do this trade (with the adds I suggest) or one like it.  Since most people feel a #6 pick has more value than Rondo, we could even flip the pick and get an even better player.

If Rondo will extend, it is different.  If Rondo agrees to extend, then there is no rush and I think it would be better to wait and maybe trade him, maybe not, depending on how things develop.  For the record, I don't think Rondo plans to extend so I think we need to trade Rondo.  Now would be the time to do it as the closer to FA he gets, the less his value will be.

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 10:47:51 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I don't get the fascination with Exum at all. If he's what we get with our first pick, then the rebuild has begun with a major setback.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 11:19:38 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Rondos gone before next year and I'll be glad.  He doesn't fit with the offense anymore.  He's better suited with established players that know the system rather than kids still learning.  If we can get a pick, filler and some roster space, I say do it.

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 11:30:33 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

I don't get the fascination with Exum at all. If he's what we get with our first pick, then the rebuild has begun with a major setback.
Why would drafting Exum be considered a set back?

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 12:13:32 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I see a very muted upside in Exum. Don't like his feet, don't like the level of his competition. BIG project, and the Celtics can do better. MUCH better.

He is, to put it bluntly, the Yi Jianlian of this year's draft for Ainge: For God's sake, no.

If Exum is the best we can do in this draft, then keep Rondo and let the Lakers find their own way. It's nothing close to an improvement.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 12:35:54 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Im also have my doubts for Exum..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 12:43:15 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Rondo is polarizing for me. Half of me wants to keep him, half of me is ready to see him go.

I would be very much open to a rondo for the Lakers' number 6 pick discussion. If we are taking back Nash, we would need something else to make it worth our while (even though Nash could just retire, if he really doesn't want to move again). A future top 10 protected pick would work.

If the Lakers land in the top 3, i am convinced they keep the pick. I think any team in the top 3 keeps their pick in fact.