Author Topic: Idea: Rondo to Lakers  (Read 10183 times)

Re: Idea: Rondo to Lakers
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2014, 10:26:22 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
One can believe that Rondo is undervalued by other teams so that Rondo's intrinsic value is more than that of the #6 pick, but his market value is less. 

So are you saying the Lakers undervalue Rondo and wouldn't do the trade of a #6 pick for him?

I'm saying that if the Celtics had the #6 pick and the Lakers had something you wanted, they might prefer the pick over Rondo in return.  I'm really not sure what their priorities are over in LA-LA land, but I think that is possible.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2014, 10:55:56 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
According to a league source, the Kings are proposing a package that would send point guard Isaiah Thomas, shooting guard Ben McLemore, veteran swingman Marcus Thornton, power forward Jason Thompson and two future first-round picks to the Celtics in exchange for Rondo.

How can this proposal even be considered, when proposals (like the one above) have been rumored?

This isn't a situation where Rondo's contract expires and he's going to search for greener pastures. He wants to continue being a Celtic. Unless the Lakers get a top 4 pick, this shouldn't even be considered; if it is a top 4 pick, you consider it and try to negotiate them into G. Wallace or another future 1st as well.

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 06:31:06 AM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
I see a very muted upside in Exum. Don't like his feet, don't like the level of his competition. BIG project, and the Celtics can do better. MUCH better.

He is, to put it bluntly, the Yi Jianlian of this year's draft for Ainge: For God's sake, no.

If Exum is the best we can do in this draft, then keep Rondo and let the Lakers find their own way. It's nothing close to an improvement.
He's not the first, and won't be the last player to be taken near the top of the draft after playing against your so-called "substandard" competition. Plenty have said that about guys coming from Europe in the past. Just because it's not NCAA ball, doesn't mean it's substandard.

In Exum's case, you're probably right. But we have seen him against top quality international competition and he dominated.
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 07:04:35 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
One can believe that Rondo is undervalued by other teams so that Rondo's intrinsic value is more than that of the #6 pick, but his market value is less. 

So are you saying the Lakers undervalue Rondo and wouldn't do the trade of a #6 pick for him?

Nobody knows the answer to that. As for his comment, though, imagine having a player on your team that you have no need to trade, but someone tells you that due to certain circumstances you can only get 50 cents on the dollar if you trade him. Do you make one of those bad trades because you don't think you'd get a better offer? If so, you're not alone here.

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 07:39:12 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This would help LA and might help us.  RR we know what we have and the draft pick we do not.   NEVER EVER HELP THE LAKERS! 

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 08:47:33 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I just read a scouting report on Exum and my reaction was "no thanks."

Once I saw one of his weaknesses was shooting, I wasn't interested.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dante-Exum-36198/

Back to the OP's idea, if DA can get a 3rd or even 4th team involved, I don't think Rondo going to the Lakers is that far-fetched nor necessarily a bad idea.

What if Danny pulled a rabbit out of his hat and did something like this:

Lakers get
- Rondo

Bucks get
-Steve Nash (gets bought out)
-Avery Bradley

Cavs get
-OJ Mayo
-Jared Sullinger
-Nick Young
-Celts 2014 1st rounder

Celts get
-Kyrie Irving
-Andersen Varajeo
-Lakers 2014 1st rounder
so, your proposal is to give up Rondo, Sully, AB and our #5 pick
for
Kyrie, AV and Laker's #6?

way overpaying.  Kyrie's value took a genuine hit this year with the poor performance in Cleveland.  AV, great hustle guy but he has health issues and isn't a spring chicken anymore.  and well, #6 is no as good as #5.

besides, what would be the point of the deal?  who's playing with Kyrie that's any good?  KO?  sure, he had a good last month.  #6 pick?  Aaron Gordon--offensively challenged Aaron Gordon? 

trade makes us worse, not better

Agreed. It was just an example of how a Rondo deal to the Lakers COULD work if a 3rd and/or 4th team gets involved, that's all.

If the Celts could somehow get Larry Sanders in my little dumb trade idea, that would be nice, but I was just thinking out loud, and not thinking very smart (lol.)

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 10:11:11 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Don't like his feet,

Rex Ryan, is that you?