Author Topic: Idea: Rondo to Lakers  (Read 10182 times)

Re: Idea: Rondo to Lakers
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 12:50:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Why are people mentioning exum in this thread ?  Exum will be off the board before either of these teams pick.

Rondo for a top 8 pick and expiring contract makes too much sense for Boston.  It would take a desperate team to give that up for rondo.  The main negativity about this deal is due to it being the lakers.  If we were talking about rondo to the kings for #7 and expirings, we wouldn't have as much backlash.  Unfortunately, the kings don't have expirings and rondo made it known he wouldn't sign an extension in sac when Ainge tried to trade him there at the deadline.

Preemptive rebuttal to "nut uh... Ainge didn't try to trade to sac":  Then how is it that we found out about rondo refusing to sign an extension there ?  Explain that.

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 12:57:30 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I see a very muted upside in Exum. Don't like his feet, don't like the level of his competition. BIG project, and the Celtics can do better. MUCH better.

He is, to put it bluntly, the Yi Jianlian of this year's draft for Ainge: For God's sake, no.

If Exum is the best we can do in this draft, then keep Rondo and let the Lakers find their own way. It's nothing close to an improvement.
That's pretty subjective. I don't see him any more a project than anyone else projected in the top 5 at the moment, maybe with the exception of Parker who seems to have the most polish (at least offensively). All those guys are barely 18/19 years old. They are all projects. Put a gun to my head and I'll probably tell you Exum is less likely to bust than someone like Embiid, who's position has a long list of busts historically compared to other positions.

I wouldn't be upset if we drafted Exum. He's a lighting quick and aggressive combo guard with good size. Again, not saying he's a guarantee to make it, but he's no more a risk than of the other top prospects.

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 01:20:30 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I see a very muted upside in Exum. Don't like his feet, don't like the level of his competition. BIG project, and the Celtics can do better. MUCH better.

He is, to put it bluntly, the Yi Jianlian of this year's draft for Ainge: For God's sake, no.

If Exum is the best we can do in this draft, then keep Rondo and let the Lakers find their own way. It's nothing close to an improvement.

Exum and Jianlian only share in common the fact that they where not born in the USA.

Yi's hype came from his performances in the chinese basketball league and a government backed hype machine. China was looking for a basketball star for their olympics and wanted Yi to be that man.

Dante, is the son of an American basketball player who has shown in the U19 work tournament and in last years hoops summit that he can play against great athletes at a high level. He is a safer bet then any american who has come straight out of highschool. 

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 06:35:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I probed this in another thread where everyone said our best trade asset was a #6 pick (which is what we had when the thread started).  Nearly everyone felt that Rondo was worth less than the #6 pick but now no one wants to trade Rondo for a probable Laker's #6 pick.  I don't get it.

That's pretty easy to explain.  One can believe that Rondo is undervalued by other teams so that Rondo's intrinsic value is more than that of the #6 pick, but his market value is less.  So, Rondo can be less valuable than the pick as a trade asset in terms of likely return while being more valuable to the team than the pick in terms of maximizing the probability of another title because, among other things, markets are inefficient due to actors with weird biases.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 06:43:59 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I just read a scouting report on Exum and my reaction was "no thanks."

Once I saw one of his weaknesses was shooting, I wasn't interested.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dante-Exum-36198/

Back to the OP's idea, if DA can get a 3rd or even 4th team involved, I don't think Rondo going to the Lakers is that far-fetched nor necessarily a bad idea.

What if Danny pulled a rabbit out of his hat and did something like this:

Lakers get
- Rondo

Bucks get
-Steve Nash (gets bought out)
-Avery Bradley

Cavs get
-OJ Mayo
-Jared Sullinger
-Nick Young
-Celts 2014 1st rounder

Celts get
-Kyrie Irving
-Andersen Varajeo
-Lakers 2014 1st rounder

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 06:55:43 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
If we trade Rondo to the Lakers, that will guarantee them as contenders because he will lure Kevin Love to Lakerland.

And when you have a Big 3 of Kobe, Rondo, and Love...oh man. NOPE. NOT TRADING HIM TO LA.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 08:21:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I agree with LarBrd33 here -- trading Rondo to the Lakers for an expiring and their 1st round pick makes a lot of sense.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 08:23:49 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Why are people mentioning exum in this thread ?  Exum will be off the board before either of these teams pick.

Rondo for a top 8 pick and expiring contract makes too much sense for Boston.  It would take a desperate team to give that up for rondo.  The main negativity about this deal is due to it being the lakers.  If we were talking about rondo to the kings for #7 and expirings, we wouldn't have as much backlash.  Unfortunately, the kings don't have expirings and rondo made it known he wouldn't sign an extension in sac when Ainge tried to trade him there at the deadline.

Preemptive rebuttal to "nut uh... Ainge didn't try to trade to sac":  Then how is it that we found out about rondo refusing to sign an extension there ?  Explain that.

Pretty simple. Rondo's agent probably knew the Kings were trying to get Rondo and just nipped it in the bud. The Kings aren't going to want to cause hard feelings on their roster (and end up with a bunch of Ray Allen-like malcontents) by offering their players in trade for players that don't want to come there. As for your Kings idea, the backlash would probably come from people with at least a passing knowledge of the draft. Curry was a 7th pick, and looks to be a regular at the all-star game. That sets him apart from the last 25 or so 7th picks. I think that the only #7 pick since the 60s or so with as many all-star appearances as Rondo was Chris Mullin. The main negativity is the 80-90% chance the pick you trade for won't amount to much in the long run.

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 08:38:23 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
One can believe that Rondo is undervalued by other teams so that Rondo's intrinsic value is more than that of the #6 pick, but his market value is less. 

So are you saying the Lakers undervalue Rondo and wouldn't do the trade of a #6 pick for him?

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 09:38:55 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I just read a scouting report on Exum and my reaction was "no thanks."

Once I saw one of his weaknesses was shooting, I wasn't interested.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dante-Exum-36198/

Back to the OP's idea, if DA can get a 3rd or even 4th team involved, I don't think Rondo going to the Lakers is that far-fetched nor necessarily a bad idea.

What if Danny pulled a rabbit out of his hat and did something like this:

Lakers get
- Rondo

Bucks get
-Steve Nash (gets bought out)
-Avery Bradley

Cavs get
-OJ Mayo
-Jared Sullinger
-Nick Young
-Celts 2014 1st rounder

Celts get
-Kyrie Irving
-Andersen Varajeo
-Lakers 2014 1st rounder
so, your proposal is to give up Rondo, Sully, AB and our #5 pick
for
Kyrie, AV and Laker's #6?

way overpaying.  Kyrie's value took a genuine hit this year with the poor performance in Cleveland.  AV, great hustle guy but he has health issues and isn't a spring chicken anymore.  and well, #6 is no as good as #5.

besides, what would be the point of the deal?  who's playing with Kyrie that's any good?  KO?  sure, he had a good last month.  #6 pick?  Aaron Gordon--offensively challenged Aaron Gordon? 

trade makes us worse, not better

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 09:50:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
horrible trade idea unless you are a Laker.

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 09:55:44 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
If we trade Rondo to the Lakers, that will guarantee them as contenders because he will lure Kevin Love to Lakerland.

And when you have a Big 3 of Kobe, Rondo, and Love...oh man. NOPE. NOT TRADING HIM TO LA.

Don't see that team contending. Kobe is a shell of himself, Love is great but how much better is Rondo compared to Rubio? 2nd round exit at best.

I'd do Rondo for the Lakers 1st + expiring.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 10:12:30 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Who cares if we are dealing with the Lakers?  We're Celtics fans! We should want what's best for the Celtics, and without a doubt the Lakers are the most logical destination for Rondo.  If we can get their pick and Nash for him, I take that deal and don't look back.

Plus, do opponents of this trade really think we're helping the Lakers?  The current Lakers squad with Rondo in the mix is maybe an 8 seed in the West.  If they get a third star, they might have a chance at home court in the first round, but they still aren't getting past the likes of the Spurs and Thunder.  I still think they'd be second best in their own city.  If we help the Lakers build a team of Kobe, Rondo, and Star Player X (assuming it's one of the guys thought to be available now), we're basically giving a one way ticket to no man's land.  In terms of sabotaging the Lakers, giving them Rondo might be preferable to letting them draft a young stud and start the rebuild they desperately need.

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2014, 10:18:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Don't see that team contending. Kobe is a shell of himself, Love is great but how much better is Rondo compared to Rubio? 2nd round exit at best.

Honestly, unless we're giving up a chance to get Kevin Love ourselves, I don't see how helping the Lakers make a contender is relevant.  What matters is that we get significant return value for Rondo before he hits free agency.  A team built around Rondo, Kobe, and Love could theoretically be very good.  It could also be a major disappointment.

Getting another top 10 pick in this draft would not be a disappointment at all.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2014, 10:23:55 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458

Honestly, unless we're giving up a chance to get Kevin Love ourselves, I don't see how helping the Lakers make a contender is relevant.  What matters is that we get significant return value for Rondo before he hits free agency.  A team built around Rondo, Kobe, and Love could theoretically be very good.  It could also be a major disappointment.

Getting another top 10 pick in this draft would not be a disappointment at all.

Agreed. Don't understand why some people want to postpone our rebuild due to fear of making the Lakers better. If the offer is fair or good, you take it. Don't care if it's the Lakers, Heat, or Yankees.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6