Author Topic: Asik for 2014 Celtics 2nd 1st - one of the key plans?  (Read 14244 times)

Re: Asik for 2014 Celtics 2nd 1st - one of the key plans?
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2014, 06:30:33 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I see Asik's value as being in the neighborhood of another defense-oriented offensively-challenged center in Roy Hibbert.  He doesn't have Hibbert's (weak) ability to take an occasional jumper ten feet away from the basket, but I think he has the upside to develop that facet of his game.  He's not as good of a shot-blocker, but might be Hibbert's equal as a defender (if not better) and is more mobile and capable of guarding a perimeter big.  He's definitely a better rebounder than Hibbert.  I'd probably be willing to bet that Asik will be healthier than Hibbert over the next few years.

If Roy Hibbert was on a contract that would expire next season and you could trade for him so that there would be a risk that he could leave but you thought that you could create an environment which would give you the inside track on signing him next summer, along with his Bird rights, how much would you give up?

Is he getting first half of the 2014 verticality leeway or second half of 2014 verticality leeway?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2014, 06:37:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I see Asik's value as being in the neighborhood of another defense-oriented offensively-challenged center in Roy Hibbert.  He doesn't have Hibbert's (weak) ability to take an occasional jumper ten feet away from the basket, but I think he has the upside to develop that facet of his game.  He's not as good of a shot-blocker, but might be Hibbert's equal as a defender (if not better) and is more mobile and capable of guarding a perimeter big.  He's definitely a better rebounder than Hibbert.  I'd probably be willing to bet that Asik will be healthier than Hibbert over the next few years.

If Roy Hibbert was on a contract that would expire next season and you could trade for him so that there would be a risk that he could leave but you thought that you could create an environment which would give you the inside track on signing him next summer, along with his Bird rights, how much would you give up?

Is he getting first half of the 2014 verticality leeway or second half of 2014 verticality leeway?

Whichever one makes the NBA more money.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2014, 06:45:42 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
TP

I feel like I'd send away the general 2014 CB Asset Pu-Pu Platter for that.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2014, 07:33:51 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I'm sick of the obsession with Asik... He's not that good first of all. Second of all, what's the point of trading for him? He's gonna help us win 5 more games. Hes not gonna turn us into a contender. The guy is not Dwight Howard, he's not Tim Duncan.... He's Omer Asik.

Asik + experienced/better body Sullinger/KO + Green + AB + healthy Rondo + signing some key vets = more than 5 more wins.  We should make the playoffs
Making the playoffs isn't enough. I want the Celtics to be championship contenders within the next 3or 4 years. That's not gonna happen if we keep trading our draft picks for overrated role players that only legitimate skill is rebounding. His defense is not as good as you guys think.

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2014, 08:06:10 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I'm sick of the obsession with Asik... He's not that good first of all. Second of all, what's the point of trading for him? He's gonna help us win 5 more games. Hes not gonna turn us into a contender. The guy is not Dwight Howard, he's not Tim Duncan.... He's Omer Asik.

Asik + experienced/better body Sullinger/KO + Green + AB + healthy Rondo + signing some key vets = more than 5 more wins.  We should make the playoffs
Making the playoffs isn't enough. I want the Celtics to be championship contenders within the next 3or 4 years. That's not gonna happen if we keep trading our draft picks for overrated role players that only legitimate skill is rebounding. His defense is not as good as you guys think.

Baby steps, buddy.

Gotta make the playoffs before you can win a championship.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2014, 08:26:38 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Asik isn't all that.  And the fact that we're drooling over him scares me because it may be a revelation of mediocrity to come

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2014, 08:28:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Baby steps, buddy.

Gotta make the playoffs before you can win a championship.

yup. Next season without a rim protector we are prob going to draft in the range of 9-12 for the 2015 draft.  I rather make the playoffs and get a near lotto pick instead. Then 2015 offseason danny can work his magic

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2014, 08:37:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

If every guy Ainge wants to acquire has to be Tim Duncan or Dwight Howard, we're not making a lot of moves.

For some reason, there's this notion from some people that unless a player is a star and can instantly turn the Celtics into "contenders", then Ainge should have no interest. It's simply not how a real life roster is built.

Like you said, if that's the case, we might as well get use to Kris Humphries and Brandon Bass holding down the fort.

Then there's the contracts. If a players contract expires soon, then "he's going to walk" and we should have no interest. If a players contract is too long, then it "hampers flexibility" and we should have no interest. You can't have it both ways.

I need some coffee. I'm grumpy this morning.

So true.

And the opposite is true, too. Just because Bass or Green aren't stars doesn't mean they are absolutely worthless.

Bass first name is .......Worthless

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2014, 09:35:06 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Asik isn't all that.  And the fact that we're drooling over him scares me because it may be a revelation of mediocrity to come
This.

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2014, 09:37:34 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
This.

did you guys read the posts in this thread? No one is 'drooling' over Asik, he's a cheap, available rim protector, which we need. He would fill a huge gap and allow us to use our better assets for top tier players.

I mean, do you honestly think we are going to get 5 all-stars? Sure it's great to say "LETS GET DWIGHT HOWARD" instead, but then you can't get stars at the other 3 positions. Some of the players in our rotation are going to have to be Asik level players, and he's a good bargain right now at a hard to fill position.

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2014, 09:55:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
This.

did you guys read the posts in this thread? No one is 'drooling' over Asik, he's a cheap, available rim protector, which we need. He would fill a huge gap and allow us to use our better assets for top tier players.

I mean, do you honestly think we are going to get 5 all-stars? Sure it's great to say "LETS GET DWIGHT HOWARD" instead, but then you can't get stars at the other 3 positions. Some of the players in our rotation are going to have to be Asik level players, and he's a good bargain right now at a hard to fill position.

I'll go a step further; Asik can replicate his 2012-2013 season as a full time starter, his value as a player is very high among current NBA centers. Only Noah is without a doubt a better team defender at this point, with only M Gasol, Hibbert, and Howard realistically in the debate on the defensive end. Then, Asik is also an elite rebounder. Offensively, Asik is a tragedy and a train wreck if you have to ask him to score with any kind of skill, so his value is still below that of Noah, Gasol Howard and Hibbert as an overall player, but after them..it's really about fit more than anything. Disagree? I can show you numbers and long reads about the nuances about pick and roll defense that should at least open your mind.

He's a lot like a bizzarro Ryan Anderson.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2014, 10:11:35 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

His defense is better than you think. And if we don't do some trades our chances at being contenders in 3-4 years are slim at best.

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2014, 10:51:54 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Asik is a solid player that can fulfill a need, but the Rockets-Asik situation is such that Ainge should be able to pry him away for LAC's 2015 1st (which projects to be another late 1st)... Asik's contract becomes a burden (in 2015) for a Rockets team that is striving to improve and puts a premium on versatility.

Morey didn't get a 1st for Asik during his self-imposed deadline period, he shouldn't be getting one 6-7 months later, when you're only getting 1 year at $15M instead of 1 1/2 years.

Why should the C's outbid themselves?

I pass at that price (2014 #17)... I push for Asik in exchange for LAC's 2015 1st, if not they can keep him.