Author Topic: Asik for 2014 Celtics 2nd 1st - one of the key plans?  (Read 14250 times)

Re: Asik for 2014 Celtics 2nd 1st - one of the key plans?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2014, 07:31:57 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
No, we are not going to give up our 2nd 1st for Asik.
We are acutally doing Houston a favour by absorbing Asik's contract (and possibly Lin too), so they can go after Melo in the off season.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We are acutally doing Houston a favour by absorbing Asik's contract (and possibly Lin too), so they can go after Melo in the off season.

this has to be a perfect scenerio to occur with the Celts acquiring the contracts (Asik and perhaps lin) then the Rockets signing Melo.

But there is reallly not much of a rush if Melo and the Rockets have a silent deal pre hand (melo wouldn't want houston to be in a worse situation) and he just has to free up money.   Morey can still wait and be patient and try to get rid of Asik, Lin for the most.

Either way i can't see it costing little to nothing for Asik . We are going to have to pay something whether it be a 2nd first in 2014 or a future first (could end up being worse or Morey not accepting the deal bc he doesn't know how late the pick will turn out)

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2014, 01:35:15 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Did Asik guard Aldridge last night? Because if so, I'm no longer interested

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2014, 02:35:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

I think that was mostly Dwight Howard. Asik didn't play enough minutes to make much of an impact.

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2014, 02:44:28 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I didn't watch the game, but perusing comments from Rockets fans, it sounds like Jones did a horrible job of Aldridge and Asik did a good job but was getting called for fouls and LMA was making shots like fadeaway jumpers that were well-contested but were going in.  The consensus of fans both teams seems to be that Houston would be better off playing Asik more out-of-position to guard Aldridge.  Rockets fans especially seem to think that if you put Howard and Asik on the floor together that Asik is the more mobile defender who is better able to guard Aldridge and prevent easy mid-range jumpers.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2014, 02:46:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Plot twist: Ainge trades both our 2014 picks, one of the Brooklyn picks + Sully + Green + Bass for Dwight Howard.

Houston keeps Asik.

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2014, 03:03:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Plot twist: Ainge trades both our 2014 picks, one of the Brooklyn picks + Sully + Green + Bass for Dwight Howard.

Houston keeps Asik.

I think I would prefer the idea of this year's Nets pick and a future Nets pick for Asik and seeing what sort of guy you can get with a package of Green, Sullinger, and the Celtics' own 2014 first-round pick.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2014, 03:07:13 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I think that was mostly Dwight Howard. Asik didn't play enough minutes to make much of an impact.

I couldn't quite remember. There may have been some minutes where Asik was guarding LMA.

I do remember one series, where Asik got caught in a switch and had to defend Lillard out to the three point line. And did a very good job of staying in front of him. Lillard opted for a jump shot, and missed.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2014, 03:10:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I didn't watch the game, but perusing comments from Rockets fans, it sounds like Jones did a horrible job of Aldridge and Asik did a good job but was getting called for fouls and LMA was making shots like fadeaway jumpers that were well-contested but were going in.  The consensus of fans both teams seems to be that Houston would be better off playing Asik more out-of-position to guard Aldridge.  Rockets fans especially seem to think that if you put Howard and Asik on the floor together that Asik is the more mobile defender who is better able to guard Aldridge and prevent easy mid-range jumpers.

I watched most of the game.  Asik did a very good job on defending Aldridge, setting picks, getting rebounds.  If McHale kept him in the last two minutes, Houston would have won the game.  Now that I can see Asik play, I really like what he could bring to us.  He is a bigger, quicker version of Kendrick Perkins. We won't get offense from him, but will definitely get someone who can defend anyone else's bigs, set great picks, and get a lot of rebounds.  I'm all in for getting him if we don't get Embiid.

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2014, 03:20:50 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

The trick with the favor idea is that a bunch of teams would also be all to willing to absorb Asik's contract with their cap space this summer.

Phoenix, Cleveland, Dallas come to mind. Depending on what happens in free agency, Washington, Lakers or Charlotte could get involved.

Asik is going to cost something.

Personally i am on the fence about surrendering the 17th pick for him. I imagine he is probably going to be a better player than who the Celtics draft there. But, it could be a case of going after expensive role players too soon. Some really good perimeter shooter would have to be found as well. Otherwise teams will just load the paint and ask Rondo, Bradley, Asik, Green and Sully to bomb away from the outside.

I would like to see how the lottery plays out on May 20th before deciding on a good Asik package. Maybe Larry Sanders is a better option. Maybe the Celtics can get Embiid and be done at center. Maybe a 1 year rental of a free agent could work (hawes, okafor, koufos, steimsma, etc)

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2014, 03:27:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Asik is good enough to slow down premier Centers in the nba and protect the rim. That is a nice asset for any team to have.  If the C can provide offense that is a bonus imo

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2014, 04:43:55 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
As per Danny, the C's need a rim protector AND a closer. Even if they get Asik that's only half of what Danny is going to go after.  Who is the closer?

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2014, 05:02:09 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
As per Danny, the C's need a rim protector AND a closer. Even if they get Asik that's only half of what Danny is going to go after.  Who is the closer?

Hopefully Wiggins or Parker if Embiid isn't available.   ;D

As for established stars, i think Minny takes their chances on keeping Love. And then i think Melo goes to NY, Chi or Hou. Phoenix would be an interesting dark horse to land him.

There aren't any other star closers out there on the market yet.

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2014, 06:05:42 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

To be determined in 2015 after Ainge re-signs Rondo and Asik?

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2014, 06:22:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I see Asik's value as being in the neighborhood of another defense-oriented offensively-challenged center in Roy Hibbert.  He doesn't have Hibbert's (weak) ability to take an occasional jumper ten feet away from the basket, but I think he has the upside to develop that facet of his game.  He's not as good of a shot-blocker, but might be Hibbert's equal as a defender (if not better) and is more mobile and capable of guarding a perimeter big.  He's definitely a better rebounder than Hibbert.  I'd probably be willing to bet that Asik will be healthier than Hibbert over the next few years.

If Roy Hibbert was on a contract that would expire next season and you could trade for him so that there would be a risk that he could leave but you thought that you could create an environment which would give you the inside track on signing him next summer, along with his Bird rights, how much would you give up?