Author Topic: Ainge: "Groundwork has been laid" for possible summer deals  (Read 18923 times)

Re: Ainge: "Groundwork has been laid" for possible summer deals
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 02:33:35 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
I felt like with Phili just giving away players at the trade deadline, that it took all the value out of any of the assets that we had (like Bass for example).  I also think that the market was down on Rondo so Danny just decided to wait on that front.

I can't say I have any idea of what was being talked about but based on past history, I would suspect that Danny had talks going on all fronts and it makes sense that he would be able to pick up on these talks once all of the draft slots are settled and all of the players have declared.

Another factor is whether or not Rondo signs an extension.  If it is clear that he is going to "test" free agency, I think Danny trades him and will be able to get good value back for him.

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 02:53:53 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I think the groundwork is on several possible deals, with the understanding that most of them are contingent upon where the Celtics draft in the lottery.  My guess is that if it's a top 3 or 4  pick then Danny is going to keep it, but anything else and he'll trade it.  If so, he likely has 2 or 3 possible deals lined up for teams who greatly value Aaron Gordon, Vonleh, Marcus Smart, etc.

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 03:07:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
A lot easier to agree to an Asik type deal during the offseason.  We didn't want to fill one our team's gaping needs while we were in the midst of successfully tanking to a Top 8 pick.

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 03:17:15 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
"We’ll start having them once the season ends, because we really can’t do anything until the whole season ends. I think that the groundwork has been laid potentially for some deals this summer, but no guarantees,” he said. “We did our trading at the trade deadline just a month before the trade deadline this year. But we were trying to do those types of deals where we could free up some flexibility and acquire assets, and we felt like we took advantage of a couple of opportunities that would help us down the road. But they happened a month before the actual trade deadline. We still were trying to do another deal or two before the deadline and weren’t able to get it done.

Since we can't talk about the Celtics in the playoffs, it seems offseason chatter will begin early this year.

Heard this tidbit from Ainge's recent appearance on "Toucher and Rich".

Any ideas what type of "groundwork" has been laid for possible deals?

I think the highlighted comments allude to a resuscitated deal with Houston for Asik. There were plenty of rumors mid-season about such a deal being close to completion, but the two teams "weren't able to get it done."

Teams that are not in the playoffs can make trades right now; that first comment makes me think that groundwork has been laid with one or more playoff teams (again, Houston). And, as others have pointed out, the results of the draft lottery won't be known for another month.

I'd hope that Ainge won't trade that top-8 pick unless he's getting back a bigger fish than Asik, though. Hopefully, Ainge is alluding to a second, larger scenario.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 04:08:03 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
"We’ll start having them once the season ends, because we really can’t do anything until the whole season ends. I think that the groundwork has been laid potentially for some deals this summer, but no guarantees,” he said. “We did our trading at the trade deadline just a month before the trade deadline this year. But we were trying to do those types of deals where we could free up some flexibility and acquire assets, and we felt like we took advantage of a couple of opportunities that would help us down the road. But they happened a month before the actual trade deadline. We still were trying to do another deal or two before the deadline and weren’t able to get it done.

Since we can't talk about the Celtics in the playoffs, it seems offseason chatter will begin early this year.

Heard this tidbit from Ainge's recent appearance on "Toucher and Rich".

Any ideas what type of "groundwork" has been laid for possible deals?

I think the highlighted comments allude to a resuscitated deal with Houston for Asik. There were plenty of rumors mid-season about such a deal being close to completion, but the two teams "weren't able to get it done."

Teams that are not in the playoffs can make trades right now; that first comment makes me think that groundwork has been laid with one or more playoff teams (again, Houston). And, as others have pointed out, the results of the draft lottery won't be known for another month.

I'd hope that Ainge won't trade that top-8 pick unless he's getting back a bigger fish than Asik, though. Hopefully, Ainge is alluding to a second, larger scenario.

I agree, which is why we should root like crazy against the Rox in the playoffs, hope Asik plays like crap and that they become desperate to improve so that their investments in Harden and Howard become an impetus to unload Asik for assets.

Morey's sharp, but Houston ownership maybe not so much.

Hard to think that a vet like Bass, or even Green as a third option wouldn't have bettered this team for this year. They got greedy holding out for a first rounder that they never were going to get.

Also, kinda surprised the Nets didn't go after Bass, specifically because of his positive history with KG and PP. Bass absolutely coulda helped them.

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 05:27:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lots of people assuming he was talking about an asik type deal.  Just as likely the groundwork was laid for a rondo trade.  Who knows.

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 05:41:26 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
It's hard to tell what's going through Ainge's mind. I'm sure he has multiple scenarios, with Plan A likely being "quickly rebuild with a huge trade".

Unfortunately I don't see a trade like that presenting itself (I'm not convinced KLove or Melo will go to the C's). I don't know what Plan B, C, and onwards will be. However, I do think Ainge will know which gameplay to utilize come lottery day.
- LilRip

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 06:32:09 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Lots of people assuming he was talking about an asik type deal.  Just as likely the groundwork was laid for a rondo trade.  Who knows.

Very true.

Asik seems like the obvious answer but I'm sure Ainge and others has at least discussed this path.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 08:03:30 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I look at this season as a success. our goals were to acquire assets, be flexible enough to make moves for the off season or build through the draft, develop the young guys, & get Brad Stevens acclimated to the NBA. we did all of this.

I am completely shocked we weren't able to move bass, more shocked no playoff team wouldn't jump at taking him as he could have helped a playoff team needing PF depth. i'm wondering if the clippers would have if they could trade with us instead of going after big baby.

if we aren't able to make some moves this summer then i'll start to worry a little. though I think we'll be in better position next yr. with more expiring contracts.

I thought the Celtics aren't allowed to deal with the Clippers after that offseason fiasco with sending KG/PP/Doc to Clipperland for DeAndre Jordan and co.

Read a bit more closely there.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 08:29:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

I think the lottery will determine Rondo's fate and our future. If we land a top 3 pick, I expect Rondo to be traded on draft night and we go with a young core. If we end up with the 4th, 5th, or 6th pick range, then I expect Ainge to trade the pick and other assets to build a vet core immediately around Rondo.

He may have laid the groundwork for all of these scenarios already and has a good feel for what he can get in either direction.

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 09:13:56 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I think the lottery will determine Rondo's fate and our future. If we land a top 3 pick, I expect Rondo to be traded on draft night and we go with a young core. If we end up with the 4th, 5th, or 6th pick range, then I expect Ainge to trade the pick and other assets to build a vet core immediately around Rondo.

He may have laid the groundwork for all of these scenarios already and has a good feel for what he can get in either direction.

Something just seems counterintuitive about trying to get competitive only if you get a lower pick (and therefore a worse asset).

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 09:17:52 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

Something just seems counterintuitive about trying to get competitive only if you get a lower pick (and therefore a worse asset).

It's the logical move. We are trying to get competitive either way. Ainge already alluded to this in his comments.

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 09:19:22 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Only if you think it's a good idea to trade Wiggins, Parker, or Embiid to compete for a title sooner.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 09:21:19 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'd agree with this. If the pick isn't good enough to be a key piece on a contender in the next few years then he's not someone you can build around.

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2014, 09:16:28 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think HP is seeing it in the same way the 2007 draft played out.

If we ended up with a top-two pick there, it's possible / probable we would have built around that pick and traded Pierce.

Falling back in the draft led to us to scrapping the "build through the draft" plan, and cashing in our assets to win immediately.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes