Author Topic: Ainge: "Groundwork has been laid" for possible summer deals  (Read 18956 times)

Ainge: "Groundwork has been laid" for possible summer deals
« on: April 20, 2014, 09:52:35 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
"We’ll start having them once the season ends, because we really can’t do anything until the whole season ends. I think that the groundwork has been laid potentially for some deals this summer, but no guarantees,” he said. “We did our trading at the trade deadline just a month before the trade deadline this year. But we were trying to do those types of deals where we could free up some flexibility and acquire assets, and we felt like we took advantage of a couple of opportunities that would help us down the road. But they happened a month before the actual trade deadline. We still were trying to do another deal or two before the deadline and weren’t able to get it done.”

Since we can't talk about the Celtics in the playoffs, it seems offseason chatter will begin early this year.

Heard this tidbit from Ainge's recent appearance on "Toucher and Rich".

Any ideas what type of "groundwork" has been laid for possible deals?

*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Ainge: "Groundwork has been laid" for possible summer deals
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 10:20:43 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Hopefully trading Bass , Wallace, Anthony

And others.....

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 10:30:23 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Houston deal for Asik.   Groundwork was laid before the trade deadline.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 10:31:09 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Asik seems the most likely. Ainge in talks with Houston = Trade exception for Asik = so Houston can create enough cap space to sign Melo. Houston needing deals (cap dumps) lined up so they can quickly make a deal once (if) Melo agrees to terms.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 10:33:04 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I look at this season as a success. our goals were to acquire assets, be flexible enough to make moves for the off season or build through the draft, develop the young guys, & get Brad Stevens acclimated to the NBA. we did all of this.

I am completely shocked we weren't able to move bass, more shocked no playoff team wouldn't jump at taking him as he could have helped a playoff team needing PF depth. i'm wondering if the clippers would have if they could trade with us instead of going after big baby.

if we aren't able to make some moves this summer then i'll start to worry a little. though I think we'll be in better position next yr. with more expiring contracts.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 10:41:46 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
"Free up flexibility" = Green, Bass, or Wallace trade.

Maybe Cleveland was willing to take on Green if the Deng trade had fallen through. Green could still be desired by a few desperate teams that need scoring punch, especially now that his contract has elapsed another year. However, I don't see anybody giving up anything great for him.

I can see some team being interested in Bass as a low cost one-year free agent but a first rounder would be too much for him. Boston would probably have to settle for a 2nd rounder, which means they may just keep him. Of course, he could also be combined with Anthony to make a deal for a high-priced player this summer.

Wallace is most likely still not going anywhere unless the Celts give up an asset.

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 10:44:59 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Houston deal for Asik.   Groundwork was laid before the trade deadline.

Would seem the most. Likely deal.  If another year of lottery is not deemed necessary perhaps.

So much depends on this draft and Rondo

Adding Asik.....would be huge step in climbing out of the lottery ranks. 

I would love to see KLove added somehow .  ,  more than Melo ...who Jackson was brought in to corral him into staying and add more talent.

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 10:56:47 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
We'll see. I don't think there's anyone available that I would trade our lottery pick for. At least no one available. I don't think Sullinger and Olynyk have Al Jefferson value, either.

If we win the Jabari pick we could easily be back in the playoffs next year with a trade for Asik but still several years off being a contender. By then Asik and Rondo would be in their 30's.

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 10:56:48 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Asik certainly seems to be the most logical answer.

Am I the only one fully expecting Asik to be a Celtic come opening day?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
going be a interesting offseason for sure
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 10:58:33 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

Wouldn't surprise me. I fully believe Danny and Morey had the deal agreed to before it got nixed by Houston ownership. We'll see if that doesn't happen again. Now that the season is over and we have a somewhat decent chance at Parker, I'd be more inclined to trade for him.

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 11:02:50 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I don't know about that. While I'm not against the deal, I think Ainge's greatest asset right now is flexibility. We could get involved in any deal for any player or pick in the league right now, with our mix of assets and contracts.

I think it'd be a shame to surrender some of that flexibility in an Asik deal. I'd rather make the big deal first then the smaller moves. If it means we stink for another year but get an MVP-caliber player in draft or trade, so be it.

That said the Asik deal is Ok in that his contract is expiring...so if we move contracts on the books next year or beyond for him, I guess it might not reduce flexibility too much.

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 11:59:34 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

And others.....

If we do acquire a big name (more than just Asik), I have to assume one of Sully or Olynyk will be gone. If that's the case, I absolutely want to hold on to Bass. On our team this past year, he held almost no value on the court (but was a great locker room guy), but on a playoff team, I would love to have him as the first big off the bench.

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 01:19:43 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I look at this season as a success. our goals were to acquire assets, be flexible enough to make moves for the off season or build through the draft, develop the young guys, & get Brad Stevens acclimated to the NBA. we did all of this.

I am completely shocked we weren't able to move bass, more shocked no playoff team wouldn't jump at taking him as he could have helped a playoff team needing PF depth. i'm wondering if the clippers would have if they could trade with us instead of going after big baby.

if we aren't able to make some moves this summer then i'll start to worry a little. though I think we'll be in better position next yr. with more expiring contracts.

I thought the Celtics aren't allowed to deal with the Clippers after that offseason fiasco with sending KG/PP/Doc to Clipperland for DeAndre Jordan and co.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 01:48:42 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557

And others.....

KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LET'S GO CELTICS!