Author Topic: How Boston Can Help Houston Land Melo  (Read 22661 times)

Re: How Boston Can Help Houston Land Melo
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 12:36:19 AM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
Really like this!!!
Best proposal yet!
Given the fact that lots of talks were ongoing between us and HOU at the trade deadline
Given that Houston said they were confident they could get Melo (if OP is right)
Given that they can only get him by keeping harden and Howard to lure him and freeing up salary of Lin and Asik
Given that Danny said he already laid down the foundation of a potential deal during the deadline,
I bet this deal is done this summer and we can get a first rounder from them!!

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 12:42:17 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Isn't this not allowed though? We can't trade the exception in combination with other players and both asik and lin are making more than the exception next year.  The only way we could trade for either of them with the exception is if their salary for the purpose of the trade is their cap hit (possible but I don't know, does anyone have an idea?) Even if their "salary" is their cap hit, we'd run into the same problem as with our Clippers deal last year.  We'd have to convince the NBA that we weren't breaking a large deal into two smaller ones to circumvent league rules.  Which as we found out last year isn't easy to do.

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 12:50:24 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Isn't this not allowed though? We can't trade the exception in combination with other players and both asik and lin are making more than the exception next year.  The only way we could trade for either of them with the exception is if their salary for the purpose of the trade is their cap hit (possible but I don't know, does anyone have an idea?) Even if their "salary" is their cap hit, we'd run into the same problem as with our Clippers deal last year.  We'd have to convince the NBA that we weren't breaking a large deal into two smaller ones to circumvent league rules.  Which as we found out last year isn't easy to do.

Lin goes into the TE, and Asik for Bogans and non-guaranteed filler works per the CBA. There's no salary aggregation taking place.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 01:43:37 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
this is a great deal for all parties (except the Knicks lol). I think the C's and the Rockets would be wise to space the deal out though. Trade Asik+first for the fillers. Then trade Lin for the TE a few weeks later. All while already having an agreed deal in place with Melo.

- LilRip

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 04:23:58 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
In theory this is a great idea. The problem I have (as Ainge may also) is that we are spending more money in these back loaded deals which make up a hell of a lot of ticket sales.

The main two issues I have are that we are

1)getting a late first round pick which is nice but at the 24-28 range pretty meh given how many we have. That's it. Asik and Lin for a year while we gift wrap Melo.

2)by adding Lin we've essentially added a scoring wing who will be a Jordan Crawford replacement -only better. We'll also have a rim protector in Asik who will make a huge difference.
This team is too good to be bottom 5 and gain any decent draft pick of our own. We are also too poor to make it out of the first round.

Essentially all we are doing is hurting our 2015 lottery odds and paying the rockets salary of Lin+Asik for them in exchange for a pick in last 4-6 picks in the first round.

If we were to do this deal we'd need a hell of a lot more incentive. That team takes us from the worst team (or bottom 3), to a playoff team or fringe playoff team in no mans land with no benefit because Asik walks.

I'd want 2 picks and a young solid piece in return. Now if they want to send us Parsons and a pick for our help then that's cool, but even with only a year left on his deal and Melo taking Parsons minutes I doubt they bite. Again we'd only get Parsons for a season though and we are still just hiring 3 guys and getting a late pick.

Only way I see this happening is if they did something like sent us Terrence Jones aswell and we give them a clippers pick.
Ie; Celtics send their wave-able junk players+ Clippers pick
Rockets send Asik +Lin +Jones + 2015 first rounder (projects at 25 or higher anyway).

As much as Morey wants to paint Asik and Lin as great players, their contracts aren't long enough for investment...we're basically taking his giant mistake contracts off his hands a year early so he can have a true contender....a massive favor and in doing so we are simply screwing our own draft chances in 2015. Good thing is a guy like Jones would be very hand in getting someone like Love eventually.
Jones for damage it does to our lottery chances and the pick for helping him by taking back his junk for a season.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 04:32:14 AM »

Offline PatMan5000

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
You Said "
Houston has enough space then to land melo and add him to Dwight, harden, and parsons. We take back asik and Lin both of whom expire in 2015. We also add another 2014 first round pick.

Rondo / Lin
Bradley? /
Green / Wallace
Bass/ Sully / Olynyk
Asik / Faverini / Anthony

Three first round rookies as well."

I say, If Rondo is healthy what do you need LIN and his contract sitting the bench for ?
Two, we have way to many mediocre PF's and no one that can score except a 6 foot if that 2G in Bradley who I desperately hope we trade or pay little for. He is a 5 11 ray allen with no passing ability. Then Wallace will probably be cut because if you pay attention we can cut him and pay his contract out over 5 years instead of keeping him and paying him 10 mill for 2 years. That team is destined for the same record , 5th pick in the draft again, as this year. And That Sucks !

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 05:34:00 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
You Said "
Houston has enough space then to land melo and add him to Dwight, harden, and parsons. We take back asik and Lin both of whom expire in 2015. We also add another 2014 first round pick.

Rondo / Lin
Bradley? /
Green / Wallace
Bass/ Sully / Olynyk

I say, If Rondo is healthy what do you need LIN and his contract sitting the bench for ?
Two, we have way to many mediocre PF's and no one that can score except a 6 foot if that 2G in Bradley who I desperately hope we trade or pay little for. He is a 5 11 ray allen with no passing ability. Then Wallace will probably be cut because if you pay attention we can cut him and pay his contract out over 5 years instead of keeping him and paying him 10 mill for 2 years. That team is destined for the same record , 5th pick in the draft again, as this year. And That Sucks !

You'd have a healthy Rondo who was on the team and playing for the entire season, one of the best rebounders in the league who's a strong defensive center, whoever we get with our lottery pick this year and you'd have a bevy of future draft picks if you wanted to make a trade or two. That's not the worst plan you'll see. Although I don't know how excited Wyc would be about paying out $14M or so that doesn't count against the cap.

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 06:12:56 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
You Said "

Rondo / Lin
Bradley? /
Green / Wallace
Bass/ Sully / Olynyk

You'd have a healthy Rondo who was on the team and playing for the entire season, one of the best rebounders in the league who's a strong defensive center, whoever we get with our lottery pick this year and you'd have a bevy of future draft picks if you wanted to make a trade or two. That's not the worst plan you'll see. Although I don't know how excited Wyc would be about paying out $14M or so that doesn't count against the cap.

Problem is though that Asik and Lin are free agents at seasons end, as is Rondo.
All this is really, is a major subtraction by addition because we get a lousy late first rounder but our own pick goes from a top 5 slot to a top 16 slot AND the guys we've signed can just walk for the biggest paycheck. Then there's the amount of money they're actually paid. All for one late first rounder? Doesn't make any sense from a long term perspective- but is a great idea to build around.

We just need more from Houston. Danny's good at getting more :)
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 06:18:55 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
You Said "

Rondo / Lin
Bradley? /
Green / Wallace
Bass/ Sully / Olynyk

Problem is though that Asik and Lin are free agents at seasons end, as is Rondo.
All this is really, is a major subtraction by addition because we get a lousy late first rounder but our own pick goes from a top 5 slot to a top 16 slot AND the guys we've signed can just walk for the biggest paycheck. Then there's the amount of money they're actually paid. All for one late first rounder? Doesn't make any sense from a long term perspective- but is a great idea to build around.

We just need more from Houston. Danny's good at getting more :)

I would assume that the team would hang onto Asik and Rondo. Lin's no biggie. It's not like the team's ever going to win anything if they avoid having good players who will ever be free agents on their roster.

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 06:32:52 AM »

Offline PatMan5000

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
Yeah Lets take on Lin's salary and whomever else for one late first round pick, might as well be a second round pick, so Houston can have Carmelo,  are you a Rockets fan ?

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 07:30:23 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I am really interested in the get Asik part of this proposal, but in all honesty I think we are better off asking Houston to find some other team to absorb Lin's contract. Maybe a third team with need for a playmaker can recieve Lin while sending us an expiring contract equal to the T.E we send to Houston?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 07:38:12 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Dang i dont get why some of you guys like Asik this much, he isnt even that good. He is okay defensively, but straight opposite when it comes to the offensive side of the game.
I hope Ainge is smarter than this, but i doubt it.. :-X
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 08:07:14 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think this is a realistic and sensible trade idea.  A lot of fans think that we're going to get Chandler Parsons for taking on Asik and Lin's salaries, and that just doesn't seem feasible to me.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 08:20:33 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

UGH

No offense but I really think about 99.9% of posters wouldn't do half as good a job as Ainge has, is and will do.

Half would probably run the franchise to the ground, a la Dolan.

Ainge has made mistakes but the mistakes he's made have made sense, on many occasions they're just gambles gone wrong. In a business where there is a lot of uncertainty, where there is very little precedence, where there's an incredible number of variables, he has consistently been elite.

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 08:25:51 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Dang i dont get why some of you guys like Asik this much, he isnt even that good. He is okay defensively, but straight opposite when it comes to the offensive side of the game.

How many elite defensive anchors are available out there?  And further, how many are out there for the cost of just taking on a decent backup point guard's overpriced expiring contract?

If we pick up a first rounder, that's a bonus.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes