Author Topic: How Boston Can Help Houston Land Melo  (Read 22730 times)

How Boston Can Help Houston Land Melo
« on: April 19, 2014, 09:10:33 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
The NBA has informed teams that it is projecting a rise in the salary cap of nearly $5 million for next season, which could aid clubs such as Chicago and Houston in their attempts to steal free agent-to-be Carmelo Anthony from the New York Knicks, according to sources familiar with the forecasts.

And Houston has quietly expressed confidence for months that it could make the moves necessary -- such as trading center Omer Asik and/or guard Jeremy Lin -- to thrust itself into the heart of the Anthony bidding depending on how the forthcoming playoffs play out.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=10808291

Sham sports shows how Houston only has Dwight, Harden, Parsons, Asik, Lin, Canaan, and Terrance Jones on the books, guaranteed, next season. Their total equates to $59,628,598. The cap is projected at $63.2 million.

http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/rockets.jsp

If Houston declines all their team options next year they'll have basically three mill in cap space. So I propose this:

Take Lin in the pierce trade exception and trade bogans, babb, and one of pressy or Chris Johnson for Asik and the rockets first round pick.

Houston has enough space then to land melo and add him to Dwight, harden, and parsons. We take back asik and Lin both of whom expire in 2015. We also add another 2014 first round pick.

Rondo / Lin
Bradley? /
Green / Wallace
Bass/ Sully / Olynyk
Asik / Faverini / Anthony

Three first round rookies as well.

Note: Before doing this i would want to know where we land with our pick. If we can get embiid I wouldn't try to get Asik. If we can't get embiid I'd likely pull the trigger if there isn't a better option.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Re: How Boston Can Help Houston Land Melo
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 09:32:30 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
That's exactly the type of deal I see us doing Kane.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 09:35:19 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It's an interesting way to think outside the box. Both guys are only signed through this year and both provide positions of need for the Cs. It's especially tempting since we really don't need to give up anything since [in this scenario] Houston would desperately want to shed as much salary as possible.

Still, I hold out hopes of acquiring Anthony and Chandler from the Knicks with a package surrounding our 2014 1st, Green, and Sully. While I know Carmelo isn't necessarily popular around CB, I would love to have an offensive player of his caliber and a DPOY type at center. I would even be more inclined to hold on to Avery with our offensive talent at the forward position.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 09:43:30 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
That's exactly the type of deal I see us doing Kane.

It does make complete sense. I still think this will be the first domino in a complete roster make over. Get Asik and Lin, then make a move for a big fish big man and 2 guard with our first round picks and young guys.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 09:45:38 PM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
  • @KevinOConnorNBA
They won't take Bogans. It's more likely you deal Bass+Anthony+Trade Exception for Lin+Asik+1st. Then they release Anthony, keep Bass.
www.twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

I like sports and music.

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 09:48:23 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Don't think we get a first round pick out of that trade.  Why would Houston agree to that?

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 09:50:55 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
They won't take Bogans. It's more likely you deal Bass+Anthony+Trade Exception for Lin+Asik+1st. Then they release Anthony, keep Bass.

They'll take Bogans precisely because of his non-guaranteed contract. Instant cap savings.

Bass and Anthony don't help Houston clear the cap room to sign Melo.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 10:02:35 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
That's very smart.  TP. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 10:10:05 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
asik is garbage.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 10:19:58 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
That's probably about the best, somewhat realistic scenario that we can hope for this off-season.

Plenty of assets to work other deals, too, if they don't want to keep so many rookies.

Wyc and company would really have to bite the financial bullet taking on Asik and Lin with their balloon payments this year.

What an interesting summer this should be.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:54:33 PM by Mencius »

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 10:28:55 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Would be nice to land Asik and Lin, and help Houston get Carmelo. That helps the Celtics even more as the East loses one more star-studded player.

Then when you have Harden, Dwight, and Melo in one team...it will be fun watching them take down OKC, SAS, and Clippers or watch them implode with poor team chemistry.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 10:39:39 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Wyc and company would really have to bite the financial bullet taking on Asik and Lin with their balloon payments this year.

You're basically buying draft picks.  The going rate seems to be $8-12 million in salary per unprotected first.  So, you pay to keep the 1-2 firsts that you would normally have to give up to get a player as good as Asik and you pay to get a first from Houston.  If you say that Asik+Lin should be worth $10m combined for next season, you are effectively paying $20m for 2-3 firsts.

Arguably, Houston is giving up a bit too much in the proposed deal, but I'd still ask them to throw in some of those extra second-round picks they have.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 11:23:01 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
When do we break the chains of Lin's and Wallace's contracts though? Asik is cool to have but are you really going to pay him close to max level money? Amassing picks is fun, but it's kind of pointless if you dont cash them in at some point. I don't want to have 7 new first roundrookies the next 3 years.

And if we get Lin I think we move Rondo to.

This offseason is completely unpredictable. I wouldnt be surprised no matter which one of our players get traded.

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 12:08:09 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I like the idea but try to roll Lin and the first to another team for a different role player.

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 12:29:01 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
This is a great idea and I think it's pretty feasible (though I could see them being reluctant to give up the pick).  Are we sure Houston wants Melo though? I can't see him and Harden meshing well.  I can see the appeal and wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets went for Melo, but if I were Morey I'm not sure I would want to take that chance.