Author Topic: JERMAINE O'Neal  (Read 6322 times)

JERMAINE O'Neal
« on: April 19, 2014, 05:30:38 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I thought this guy was done when he was with us. Could not even get on the court. Now he is a presence for the GSW. What was his sting with the Celtics all about?

How did we go from having three big men -- Shaq, Jermaine, and Perkins, to playing 4s at the 5 position?

Re: JERMAINE O'Neal
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 05:34:57 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
most contenders these days are playing a 4 at the 5. Its the new quicker NBA with more shooting  for spacing and less low post play... the 4's are also more durable than traditional 5's.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 05:40:27 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Okay but that does not explain why Jermaine O'Neal's stay with Celtics was such an epic fail.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 05:45:15 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Okay but that does not explain why Jermaine O'Neal's stay with Celtics was such an epic fail.

Some years he's injured, some he's not. Some years he wants to try hard and play, sometimes he doesn't.

We also have him a pretty huge contract coming off one of the worst playoff series ever.. Against us. Being comfortable can do a lot for how hard you want to try when you're jermaine o'neal.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 05:48:53 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
I am not really sure what our plan was that year. Was Jermaine or Shaq slated to start? I think Jermaine may have tanked the season because we started Shaq ahead of him. I am not sure, but I thought Shaq was brought in for a backup role, but somehow just played and charmed his way into that starting role, that eventually led to the Perkins trade.

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 05:51:20 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
He looks to be in better shape. Plus, I don't think he has the Doc shackles .... he's allowed to shoot and contribute on offense. Must want to really play well vs Doc. Don't see him being able to keep this up though.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 06:13:46 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It's probably pure luck as to the timing of his injury.  He had surgery earlier this season to repair torn ligaments in his wrist and there was concern that it might end not just his season but his career.  Or maybe he's been revitalized by having the same German procedure that Kobe Bryant has been doing.

I've never bought into the belief that he didn't want to play in his stint with the Celtics.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 06:49:42 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I am not really sure what our plan was that year. Was Jermaine or Shaq slated to start? I think Jermaine may have tanked the season because we started Shaq ahead of him. I am not sure, but I thought Shaq was brought in for a backup role, but somehow just played and charmed his way into that starting role, that eventually led to the Perkins trade.

You have a healthy Shaq and JO, who do you go with? Exactly. Perk was hurt Shaq was the choice. When Shaq was healthy, that team was amazing, he played well and so did everyone else. He didn't have to charm his way to anything.

Blame Shaq for not being healthy but other than that, he was the right choice when he was healthy. He was the right choice over Perkins too but he didn't stay healthy. Don't confuse him not playing the entire season with what happened when he was healthy.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 07:24:56 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Because Doc relegated him to nothing more than just a screener and defender. The Dubs call plays for JO, which makes him engaged. Celtics never did that.

Even with a sore wrist, he's playing. Didn't do that in Boston. Why? Because he's disinterested. The Dubs make him feel important.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 08:07:51 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

You have a healthy Shaq and JO, who do you go with? Exactly. Perk was hurt Shaq was the choice. When Shaq was healthy, that team was amazing, he played well and so did everyone else. He didn't have to charm his way to anything.

Blame Shaq for not being healthy but other than that, he was the right choice when he was healthy. He was the right choice over Perkins too but he didn't stay healthy. Don't confuse him not playing the entire season with what happened when he was healthy.

Yup.....when Shaq was healthy.....that team was a steam roller ......it destroyed opponents ......it didn't seem fair . 

Now I'm sick .....we had all those bigs .....now we run a miget offense .

I miss those days of Celtics as. Big team with serious bigs.

Oh well......maybe in another 20 years .....we can have a great center once again.

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 08:38:50 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Even with a sore wrist, he's playing. Didn't do that in Boston. Why? Because he's disinterested. The Dubs make him feel important.

Um, Jermaine O'Neal suffered a fracture in his wrist while taking a charge in Game 1 of the first round of the 2011 playoffs and played through it.  The injury was bad enough that he should have had off-season surgery (but didn't).  Why he chose for rehab over surgery where people were saying he might have to have pins inserted into his wrist is a different question, but I don't doubt his willingness to try to play through at least some injury.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 08:43:51 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Yup.....when Shaq was healthy.....that team was a steam roller ......it destroyed opponents ......it didn't seem fair . 

Now I'm sick .....we had all those bigs .....now we run a miget offense .

I miss those days of Celtics as. Big team with serious bigs.

Oh well......maybe in another 20 years .....we can have a great center once again.

I agree that is why I said he 'played and charmed' himself into the starting role. Don't tell me that Shaq's stay in Boston wasn't full of charm. The city fell in love with him. You still did not answer my question. When they were brought in, wasn't JO supposed to start?

I know Shaq deserved the start and if he had stayed healthy we most likely would have won banner 18, but what was the plan going into the season?

I know one thing for sure, there was controversy brewing when Perk came back from injury. He wanted the starting role, and it was not clear that was going to happen with a healthy Shaq. That is one of the reasons DA shipped him out.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 08:46:37 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Because Doc relegated him to nothing more than just a screener and defender. The Dubs call plays for JO, which makes him engaged. Celtics never did that.

He wanted to be babied and Doc don't do that...and rightfully so.  I forgot a player who mentioned this about Doc as well (I think it's Rondo or Pierce).  Ray Allen wanted to be babied as well and it didn't happen.  That is not Doc's job as a coach.  His job isn't to massage egos of overpaid players.  Good that JO is getting that treatment with GSW but GSW wasn't Boston Celtics and neither do they have the circumstances we had when JO and Doc was here.  Doc was a great coach (contrary to the naysayers) but because he didn't pander and yielded every single fans' opinion of how he should coach the team, he gets berated and underrated.  Sadly, this will happen to Stevens as well...just watch.  Some fans blows my mind sometimes

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 09:48:02 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Doc was not and is not a great coach.

Red was a great coach, PJ was a great coach, Pop is a great coach -- are you getting my drift now?

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 09:49:48 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Doc was not and is not a great coach.

Red was a great coach, PJ was a great coach, Pop is a great coach -- are you getting my drift now?

Red was in a class of his own.  Pop is close but I won't put him up there just yet.  Just because you don't measure up to Red doesn't make you less of a great coach.

By the way, I don't consider Phil Jackson a great coach...are you getting my drift now?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell