Author Topic: Sixers owner declares 19 win season as a " huge success"  (Read 3239 times)

Sixers owner declares 19 win season as a " huge success"
« on: April 19, 2014, 05:16:48 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10807120/philadelphia-76ers-owner-joshua-harris-terms-19-win-season-success

""I think the season has been a huge success for us," Harris said Friday. Give Harris credit for his honesty. The Sixers hold two lottery picks (one via a trade) and never were shy about admitting they had to tank -- make that, rebuild -- this season in order to start their hopeful championship track.

"We don't use that word," Harris said of tanking.

He said losing was tough for everyone in the organization, but this season was never about the final record.

"We don't want to be 41-41. We don't want to be one-and-done," Harris said. "We want this team, this city to be proud of the Sixers. We want to be proud of the Sixers.""

Well, why is this organization not penalized yet for blatant, outright open tanking? By not taking action, the NBA is condoning this as a legit strategy imo, which pushes other teams to do the same in order to be able to get top tier players.

Re: Sixers owner declares 19 win season as a " huge success"
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 05:22:28 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Hope Karma gets to them. Be such a waste for anyone in the top-5 to end up in Philadelphia. They have no idea how to develop and manage potential and talent. Same for Milwaukee.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Well that is the thing though, is there such a thing as bad karma for tanking, or is it a legit strategy now? Considering the NBA is not punishing teams for it, the argument can be easily made that there is nothing wrong with tanking and that the Sixers were very smart to do it this year. It is possible that they end up with 2 out of the top 3 picks in this draft. What would happen then? They would be hailed as geniuses.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 05:38:23 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
There is no tanking karma. We had our chance to tank we did not. So no need to complain about a team that chose that strategy.

We will see whether or not tanking has the adverse effects that so many claim on this site.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 05:49:48 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10807120/philadelphia-76ers-owner-joshua-harris-terms-19-win-season-success

""I think the season has been a huge success for us," Harris said Friday. Give Harris credit for his honesty. The Sixers hold two lottery picks (one via a trade) and never were shy about admitting they had to tank -- make that, rebuild -- this season in order to start their hopeful championship track.

He said losing was tough for everyone in the organization, but this season was never about the final record.

"We don't want to be 41-41. We don't want to be one-and-done," Harris said. "We want this team, this city to be proud of the Sixers. We want to be proud of the Sixers.""

Well, why is this organization not penalized yet for blatant, outright open tanking? By not taking action, the NBA is condoning this as a legit strategy imo, which pushes other teams to do the same in order to be able to get top tier players.

Why should they be punished? This is a good strategy for them. The Celtics basically did the same thing except didn't completely blow up the foundation, they kept some pieces of it.

Give the Sixers Parker or Wiggins and suddenly they are the next OKC in 2 years time.

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 05:51:35 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
There is no tanking karma. We had our chance to tank we did not. So no need to complain about a team that chose that strategy.

We will see whether or not tanking has the adverse effects that so many claim on this site.

Yep, a lot of eyes will be on the Sixers on May 20th. There was this unwritten taboo about tanking, but no written rule against it. Now that these guys did it outright and openly, if they get rewarded, I can see more and more teams doing this from now on.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Does that mean we'll also see if tanking is the road to title contention that so many claim on this site?

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 05:54:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Does that mean we'll also see if tanking is the road to title contention that so many claim on this site?

yes I think we will. The Sixers can land two great players in the lottery to add to Noel, who hasn't played yet in the NBA, and Carter-Williams. They can soon be a legit contender if they make the right moves here with the cap space they will have on top of their prospects.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 05:56:50 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Why should they be punished? This is a good strategy for them. The Celtics basically did the same thing except didn't completely blow up the foundation, they kept some pieces of it.

Give the Sixers Parker or Wiggins and suddenly they are the next OKC in 2 years time.

I get what the OP is saying - when even the owner is hailing a horrible season as a huge success and admitting that they intended to lose as many games as possible, it does raise questions.

The thing is, I guess the owner can say whatever he wants, but if a player ever came out and said that they were told to lose on purpose, it is then that I think we would see some fireworks.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 06:00:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I am not sure what you mean. No one said tanking was the answer -- it is a catalyst out of mediocrity and that is for sure. You need to do more after tanking. So I am not sure that your hypothesis can be tested on the pro tanking side.

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 06:03:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I get what the OP is saying - when even the owner is hailing a horrible season as a huge success and admitting that they intended to lose as many games as possible, it does raise questions.

The thing is, I guess the owner can say whatever he wants, but if a player ever came out and said that they were told to lose on purpose, it is then that I think we would see some fireworks.

I agree, but honestly, what's the difference? If the owner and the GM want to put a crappy team out on the floor, that's in some way worse than a player not hustling after every lose ball or taking plays off on defense? I mean, enough players do those things already once they have secured their contracts. Rondo for example could argue that he wants to conserve his health for when the team is ready to contend, or for his next contract. Where do you draw the line?

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 06:16:41 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I am not sure what you mean. No one said tanking was the answer -- it is a catalyst out of mediocrity and that is for sure. You need to do more after tanking. So I am not sure that your hypothesis can be tested on the pro tanking side.

Sure they have, you can even see some of it in this thread. If you're going to chide some people for some of the comments they've made you should acknowledge some of the equally ridiculous arguments on the other side.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 06:23:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Sure they have, you can even see some of it in this thread. If you're going to chide some people for some of the comments they've made you should acknowledge some of the equally ridiculous arguments on the other side.

Well the Sixers owner and GM clearly think tanking is the answer, this is very evident from the owners quotes, and of course, from their actions.

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 06:54:31 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
why should they be punished? tanking sucks but it seems like it was one of the best things the Sixers could have done, given their situation. Because of their tanking, they are guaranteed a top 5 pick. Thats the pick some of us are even just hoping for.
- LilRip

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 06:56:20 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Celtics fans outraged about tanking is a clear case of the pot calling the kettle black. The only difference between the Sixers and other intentionally horrible teams of the past is that they're a little more public about it. That's the real reason for the outrage since last time I checked there are bad teams every season constructed for the purpose of being in the lottery. However, it's an unwritten rule that these teams can't admit they are doing so and must always maintain the guise of hoping to win as many games as possible.

Since the Sixers are kind of brazenly breaking this unwritten rule (also they're below the salary floor) I expect the groundswell against the current draft system to just get bigger and bigger. As honest as the Sixers owner was being, the league's image is tarnished when a team wins 18 games and it's declared it a "huge success." Is it so hard to give some stock quote about being disappointed but optimistic?